Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Not Telling
msg tools
Hi, I've been considering cosmic encounter, and read through the manual before deciding on a purchase or not. I had a couple questions about the rules after reading.

1. During a negotiation, if you agree to a colony trade - what are the rules of where a colony can be placed? Say you agree to let them have a colony on your world. Does that mean the colony goes on one of your home worlds that you control, but you still maintain control of the world as well? Or does it mean you need to give up that world.

2. Do reinforcements take place after the effects of alien abilities/morph cards? Does it add to the final total at the very end, or do multiplative or other abilities to mess with things here affect them as well?

3. If you draw your own color during the destiny phase and nobody has a colony in your system what happens?

4. Can you attack a non-native colony in another person's system. Ie, can I attack red's colony in yellow's system, or would I be attacking yellow's planet with 0 defenders. Is the only way for red to lose that colony (short of weird alien powers) if yellow draws a yellow destiny card and attacks it?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

themadcow wrote:
Hi, I've been considering cosmic encounter, and read through the manual before deciding on a purchase or not. I had a couple questions about the rules after reading.

1. During a negotiation, if you agree to a colony trade - what are the rules of where a colony can be placed? Say you agree to let them have a colony on your world. Does that mean the colony goes on one of your home worlds that you control, but you still maintain control of the world as well? Or does it mean you need to give up that world.


You can offer the other person a colony on any planet where you have a colony, whether it's in your system or elsewhere. You don't have to remove your ships from the planet.

Quote:
2. Do reinforcements take place after the effects of alien abilities/morph cards? Does it add to the final total at the very end, or do multiplative or other abilities to mess with things here affect them as well?


Reinforcements add to the total. Effects like Antimatter and Virus change how cards and ships contribute to the total, but Reinforcements go in separately.

Quote:
3. If you draw your own color during the destiny phase and nobody has a colony in your system what happens?


Usually, you'd just draw again. There's a third option when you draw your own color that isn't printed on the card: if you have an empty planet in your home system, you can reestablish a colony there automatically. (ending the encounter, but allowing you to have another one if it was your first)

Quote:
4. Can you attack a non-native colony in another person's system. Ie, can I attack red's colony in yellow's system, or would I be attacking yellow's planet with 0 defenders. Is the only way for red to lose that colony (short of weird alien powers) if yellow draws a yellow destiny card and attacks it?


You're right that you'd be attacking yellow's zero defending ships. The other colony/colonies on the planet are bystanders- they remain on the planet no matter what happens. Outside of specific cards and powers, the only way to lose a foreign colony is to have the system's owner draw their own color and choose to encounter the foreign colony.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
You can offer the other person a colony on any planet where you have a colony, whether it's in your system or elsewhere. You don't have to remove your ships from the planet.

The follow-up question is, which player gets the benefit of that word "any"? Meaning, the rulebook is ambiguous on the point of which player chooses the location for the new colony. And, related to that: if we negotiate the exact location as part of the deal, is it enforceable? Or does whoever owns the "any" get to make his choice freely after the deal is made?

I play that it is the one offering the colony who determines where it will be, and if it matters to the other player, they can negotiate that detail. I treat this as binding, although I've never had to enforce it as a rule; we just always play that way.

Nothing in FFG or in the core Eon rules makes it explicitly clear who chooses the location, but a couple of sentences in Eon's strategy sections nudge the interpretation in this direction:
2. Making a Deal: When both players play Compromise
cards in a challenge, they have one minute to make a
Deal. One easy bargain is granting a base for a base.
(Remember that you can allow your opponent only
onto a planet where you already have a base.)


...

1. Gas Giant: ... Also, you must establish
bases in other systems early so that you will have
bases to offer
other players who wish to make a deal
with you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Telling
msg tools
Thanks for the quick responses. I don't really want to make a new thread for this, so I'll ask here.

Is cosmic encounter a good game to bring to a group of non-gamers? Or is it too complex/takes up too much thought that it wouldn't be good for people not used to or into games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My two cents...

I'd say if you have folks who are not *used to* games, but pick up new things quickly, you could play Cosmic Encounter with introductory rules. You might even run through one or two encounters with no powers.

If they are folks who are not *into* games, CE is too much.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Bill Martinson wrote:
The follow-up question is, which player gets the benefit of that word "any"?

The player offering the colony, otherwise Filth doesn't work. Also because the alternative is silly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
The player offering the colony, otherwise Filth doesn't work. Also because the alternative is silly.

Filth has specific text that overrides the normal colony-trading action, thus taking care of itself; and "silly" can be subjective. Both interpretations seem arguable, which is why I provided my rationale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
themadcow wrote:
Is cosmic encounter a good game to bring to a group of non-gamers? Or is it too complex/takes up too much thought that it wouldn't be good for people not used to or into games.

If they can play Risk or Monopoly or Stratego or Chess or Hearts or Euchre, they've definitely got at least enough brain power to play CE.

If they've only played The Game of Life, Candyland, Chutes & Ladders, and they're at least 12 years old, then there's at least a 95% chance they have enough brain power to play CE.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Telling
msg tools
For any interested, I grabbed this game and took it for thanksgiving. Teaching it went smooth and it was a hit amongst the family (who aren't gamers of any sort) backstabbing and allying against each other.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Always great to hear about people having a good time punting each other across the Universe in CE. Crossing my fingers that my non-gamer family takes to it as well as yours.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.