9 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering getting this game, but I just want to know how replayable is this game?

I know there are chapters and a story, so it's most likely themed like a campaign, with set rules and whatnot. How long would running through the entire campaign take? How fun would it be in replaying the game again?

I ask this because I find myself playing Descent 2.0, and we're close to finishing the campaign. My group isn't interested in playing 1-off missions so I am looking for another thing to tide us over when Descent runs its course. (Thankfully, BGG offers a variant for a game to increase Descent's lifespan)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it takes me about 2 hours to get through a chapter playing solo. So with 11 missions that's 22 hours assuming you don't fail (which you probably will at some point). Also, playing with different people and groups I've replayed the first mission several times (this seems like it may not apply to you). Also, there is one mission that uses a 'random' setup so it could play out differently each time through it. The missions I've played all have varied mechanics so no two really feel the same. Personally, I don't mind playing missions several times through, so I hope to have plenty of replay opportunities.

That being said, I'd think I might find Descent more replay-able than Mice and Mystics (caveat being that I've only played Descent a couple of times and I have not finished all the Chapters of Mice and Mystics). If your group doesn't want to play another Descent campaign after one go-through, I would expect a similar reaction to finishing Mice and Mystics. I could certainly be wrong, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Well, it takes me about 2 hours to get through a chapter playing solo. So with 11 missions that's 22 hours assuming you don't fail (which you probably will at some point). Also, playing with different people and groups I've replayed the first mission several times (this seems like it may not apply to you). Also, there is one mission that uses a 'random' setup so it could play out differently each time through it. The missions I've played all have varied mechanics so no two really feel the same. Personally, I don't mind playing missions several times through, so I hope to have plenty of replay opportunities.

That being said, I'd think I might find Descent more replay-able than Mice and Mystics (caveat being that I've only played Descent a couple of times and I have not finished all the Chapters of Mice and Mystics). If your group doesn't want to play another Descent campaign after one go-through, I would expect a similar reaction to finishing Mice and Mystics. I could certainly be wrong, though!

Also, there is already a downloadable Chapter available with future expansions inevitable (just take a look at the support Plaid Hat Games give to other games...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to help demo the game at GenCon, and I ran at least 10 different groups through chapter 1. It was a blast every time! Different things happen based on what encounter cards come up, die rolls that send cheese to the minion wheel and make nasty stuff happen, and most importantly who is playing the game.

I cannot wait to get my copy (hopefully soon, at this point) and play through the rest of the game. I know how the story goes up to and through the end, and even with those spoilers, I am super psyched to get my hands on it and share it with my wife and different groups of friends.

Disclaimer: I tend to sing praises for the work that comes from Plaid Hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missions are re-playable as there is some variability. Knowing the story doesn't factor into it that much. The story plugs along regardless of what you do.

The game is pretty light and if you find Descent not very re-playable then you will definitely not find this game re-playable at all. At least in Descent you have a variety of strategic options available. In Mice and Mystics you are pretty much along for the ride.

It's really geared more towards Dad's wanting to play an adventure game with their young kids that won't have him wanting to shoot himself in the head. For that it's a very good game to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you never fail a chapter you're still looking at at least 20 hours of gameplay, which for a lot of people (myself included) is a lot more than I get out of most of my board games.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:

It's really geared more towards Dad's wanting to play an adventure game with their young kids that won't have him wanting to shoot himself in the head. For that it's a very good game to own.

Sounds like why I bought it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played through the campaign once, I'm not sure we're ever going to play it again.

Part of this is just the feeling that we already did everything; thanks to how the characters and scenarios are set up, we've basically already used all the characters and tried most of the abilities. There's nothing new to do.

Partly, it just didn't impress us much as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Having played through the campaign once, I'm not sure we're ever going to play it again.

Part of this is just the feeling that we already did everything; thanks to how the characters and scenarios are set up, we've basically already used all the characters and tried most of the abilities. There's nothing new to do.

Partly, it just didn't impress us much as a game.

I hate to agree, but I do. I'm very happy to have played through the story, but I know I wouldn't be nearly as interested in going through it again, even if I'm with a completely different group. Each chapter plays very similarly to the last.

It is, however, an excellent introduction to basic dungeon crawlers, and I did verily enjoy the tale told. Sadly, I don't want to play through further stories, but I would happily read them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.