11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas Gift Idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Megan Little
msg tools
Hey,

I want to get a board game for my husband for Christmas. I am thinking no more that $35-$40 dollars, and less would be better.

I like games like Ticket to Ride, Shadows over Camelot, and Pillars.

He likes War of the Ring, Dominion, and other strategy involved games.

We both dislike Settlers.

Can you make a recommendation for something in between our likes that we could play together, two players or so.
Thanks!

-The (not so) geeky wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good cross, and a game that I think attracts both sexes AND is cheap(er), is Race for the Galaxy. Expansions exists, but most are not very good, so the core game is all you need/

I would also suggest Twilight Struggle, that's more towards the $$$ end but well worth it (rated number one game here on BGG). 1989 is also like Twilight Struggle, and I've seen some good prices on that recently.

Pandemic is co-op, very strategic but accessible, too.

That's all I got for now, my girlfriend and I both LOVE these three. Feel free to give us more of your taste, maybe we can narrow somethng down for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love playing this one together (and our 12 year old is a fan, too):
Pandemic

If you like a cooperative game like Shadows over Camelot, and he likes fantasy stuff like War of the Ring, then I think this one is worth a look (though it's probably a tad over 40 bucks unless you bought a copy from another user here at BGG).
Defenders of the Realm

And I think this one is essential to any gaming collection. My family and my small gaming group both thing it's a terrific game, so there's that.
Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Pandemic...my wife and I enjoy playing that one together.

My best bet though is Lords of Waterdeep. Our favorite to play together or with others. The theme can be embraced or ignored to preference and it is a great straight forward worker placement Euro that you both would most likely enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people dislike Lords of Waterdeep with 2.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/825134/lords-of-watered-down...

I'd get Thurn and Taxis which plays well with 2 and is a bit more strategic than TTR. TTR:Nordic Countries is one of 2 TTR games designed for 2 (or 3) players. Taluva is back in print, and is a good 2 person game. Mr. Jack is another 2 person only game that gets a lot of play around here.

Alien Frontiers is better with 4, but perfectly good with 2. not in the price range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Twilight Struggle. I like a wargame every now and then, and my wife despises them. But, somehow Twilight Struggle strikes a happy medium for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
My wife and I have been really enjoying Flash Point: Fire Rescue. It has been a total hit with both of us. It works well as a 2-player game, and it scales great whenever you have some people over.

It has a "family" set of rules that are great to learn and start playing quickly. Then you can turn to the "advanced" rules and get a slightly more meaty game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a whole lot to go on.

Africana is worth a look. It has simplicity similar to Ticket to Ride, but at least around here it has enough meat to keep medium strategy gamers interested.

+1 for another co-op, if you enjoy Shadows over Camelot without a traitor. Pandemic, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, and Defenders of the Realm are all good candidates. Defenders is quite a bit longer, and a bit more complicated (EDIT: and expensive), than the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think Lord of the Rings might fight as a good co-operative, that is thematic. I would also suggest Taluva . Its a fun little game that plays well 2-player and my wife and I enjoy playing together. Both should fit nicely in your price range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Little
msg tools
Thank you for all of the suggestions!

We have access to Pandemic and own Defenders of the Realm, Hannibal, and LOTR.

I hope that I can make a decision now with all of these great suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have look at Lords of Waterdeep - I know that it looks a bit roleplay-ish, but once you open it up, it's actually very beautifully illustrated and overall pleasing to look at.

The game play itself has little (nothing if you wish) to do with role playing, and is actually a pretty simple, yet challenging worker placement/engine building sort of game with recourses (men) and contracts (quests).

It's also reasonably priced for a game of it's quality (~$25)

My girlfriend and I love it, and it also plays up to 5 players, which is great if we have company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.