Tim McDonald
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
I'm making a card game, and figure it would be good to get some feedback on the card layout art. I'm trying to get to a point where the borders, icons, and text boxes feel complete, like a game you would want to buy. Here are a few versions

Each card has two ways it can be played, which is why there are two sections in the bottom half.

So what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Highlighting the text box titles ("Fleet - Ship", "Ship Attachment") as on the lower three cards is nice, much better than the layout of the top card. Otherwise, the lower three are all really good, with only personal taste to distinguish them. (I prefer #3 with its colouring and centered title ["Interceptor"].)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Dziewonski
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
badge
wannabe designer, arduous gamer, aspiring creator
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on the bottom three designs looking the best. In general, I like the layout and it works. Multi-use cards are always a tricky lot

Since I'm working on a card game myself, I try to question the MtG standard layout in favour of something that would be easier to read when held in hand. What I'm saying is: if it's not broken, don't fix it, but don't be afraid to move things around or change text to icons if possible - you may come up with a layout that makes the game even more pleasant to look at and interact with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McDonald
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks. Good to confirm i'm going in the right direction, cause the first is an earlier version of the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
A few quick comments on details:

• You need to leave more air around the type, it is too squashed in currently. The descenders (e.g. the tail of a lower case "p" that dips below the level of the other letters) should not hit the border of the text area. Likewise with ascenders.

• Keep an eye on your alignment, all of your text below the image should be left aligned along the same vertical.

• The vertical on which this text is aligned needs to move into the box more (move to the right) so that the left edge of the text doesn't touch the area border.

• The icons don't work for me. They don't look like they come from the same "set". As a guide, try to fit each icon into the same amount of space. Also, for visual tidiness, try to have them visually balance. This means they should occupy more or less the same area, even though they are different shapes. The angular rendering of the heart seems very arbitrary to me, and it doesn't visually balance with the number beside it (it needs to be smaller). It also has an outline, while none of the others do.

• The pattern in the background is fine (although very muddy for a space game), but you're getting some odd hues show through the transparency of the text boxes, particularly in the yellow range.

• I'm not sure how extensive the text can get, but right now it's small and tucked into the corner, with a huge amount of empty space around it. Consider making the art space larger, or giving the text more breathing room as mentioned earlier.

• Make the holding shape for the card title higher, so the title isn't so squashed.

Hope that all makes sense and is even a little helpful

Cheers,

Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McDonald
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the suggestions. Some of the cards have a lot more text which I think is why I crowded some things in, worried about what i'll be able to fit in with the wordier cards. I was thinking today I should go back to the cards with the most text and see how short I can get them. Less words should help encourage quicker/easier gameplay, and can allow a little more wiggle room to let the words breath.

Here are more icons:

Feedback on these would be good too. I'm hoping to settle on something final for these soon so I don't have to replace them in all the cards multiple times. I think i'm going to redo the lightning bolt. The purple smudge (for plasma damage) has also given me a lot of grief. haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McDonald
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
I made some adjustments after those suggestions. I threw in the updated icons too, just to see them on there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of the icons. They're too busy, too much detail. An effective icon should be clear when reproduced in a single colour. Also, you've used hard 45º angles for the heart and soft curves for the shields. They should ass share a common style.

The test is still looking very squashed to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.