Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally were able to gather together for another session of the Portland 1805 campaign game, after about 4 months of scheduling conflicts preventing us from playing. Most of us had done hours of diplomatic exchanges before the session by phone and by email. But Thomas, our player for Austria, had not. So we started off the December 1809 turn with two hours of diplomacy. Yikes! Still, deals were struck, and we were then able to play five quick months in the 4.5 hours left in our session, which got through April 1810.

The Christmas spirit prevailed in December of 1809, and peace broke out over much of Europe. The Prussians surrendered unconditionally to France and Austria. France took a 36 month enforced peace and prohibited Prussia from trading with Great Britain. Austria took Access and a Royal Marriage. In the meantime, France made informal peace with Russia and Turkey. Austria also made an informal peace with Turkey, inexplicably remaining at war with Russia. Ney and Massena were exchanged from Prussia to France, and Bagration was exchanged from France to Russia. Many other prisoners were exchanged based on a page long list that had been compiled during this very lengthy war. So ended the war of the Fourth Coalition.

The Austrian army left Berlin and marched to Bohemia. The French army left Berlin and marched into Saxony in December, and then to the west over the next few months, carefully foraging as they went. The Russians and Swedes and British marched first to Danzig in December, and then to Konigsberg in January, both marches supplied by Prussian depots. The Russians and British paid Prussia for this favor. The French and Austrians had agreed to let the Russians and British evacuate Prussia peacefully, and the coalition had agreed to the peaceful evacuation of the Austrians and French Empire troops.

In February the Russian and Swedish navies graciously sailed the two British corps home to London. Later, in April three of the Tsar's fleets arrived in London with three corps, apparently headed toward the Med. In January the Prussian navy had sailed the British corps from Malta to Gibraltar, just in time to replace the British corps which left Gibraltar on a British fleet to sail to Plymouth. The Prussian fleet then sailed east to pick up an Egyptian corps for further adventures in the Med. I think the Prussian sailors are enjoying the sunshine! The British have now consolidated four corps in the London area under Sir John Moore, and the London garrison is full.

Peace did not break out everywhere, however. Spain remained at war with Britain, Turkey, and Russia. France remained at war with Britain. Austria and Britain made an informal peace with each other during the winter in order to allow them to resume trade in March, but France offered five money to Austria in order to get Austria to refuse British trade, which the shifty and mercenary Austrian promptly agreed to do! Austria and Russia made no aggressive moves toward one another, in spite of their continued state of war and the Access peace term that Austria had taken from Prussia. But Turkey took Sardinia and occupied Majorca, both operations by Egyptian corps. Now they are ready to load back up on ships for an adventure somewhere else.

Spain and Austria made an alliance, and Spain ceded Sicily to Austria during the March econ phase in exchange for 20 money. This was unexpected, because France had already promised Austria access through northern Italy to allow Austria to take back Italy from Spain. This was an odd change of direction from what we had expected to see. Spain still has corps in France, apparently at the request of Napoleon. Spain doesn't seem too keen on fighting to hold Italy, however, where Spain still controls Naples, Papacy, Romagna, and Tuscany. There is a Spanish controlled Naples corps and two Spanish national corps in Italy. I suppose France could grant Spain access to let them march home if Spain doesn't want to defend Italy. Or France could allow Spain to march other corps to Italy if Spain wants to defend its position there. Spain is extremely hostile toward Britain and Turkey, but may do some diplomacy between sessions with Britain.

France has decided to provoke Britain by launching a naval building program, laying down 11 new hulls in December 1809 and 9 new hulls in March 1810. Spain and Portugal are also building ships, and the Spanish national navy has reached the impressive size of 79 ships of the line. France has also started a trade war with Britain, imposing the trade restriction on Prussia as a peace term, and offering money to other powers if they will stop trading with Britain. France snapped up Hanover and Mecklenberg after the war with Prussia, Russia, and Turkey ended. France later made an alliance with Turkey, though Turkey continues to trade with Britain. Russia also continues to trade with Britain.

Britain has retaliated against France by subtracting 2 VP in each of the last two quarters from France, which lets Spain off the hook for VP subtraction. France's position on the political status chart has continued to be extremely high, as a consequence of the alliance with Turkey, the conquest of Hanover and Mecklenburg (Britain had taken control of these temporarilly), and +2 economic manipulation. It will be a while before this VP subtraction actually means anything to France. Britain also laid down 8 new hulls in December 1809 and 6 new hulls in March 1810, not enough to keep up with France and Spain, but an effort to avoid losing too much ground in the naval building race. For the time being, Britain can keep the lid on Spain. But things will start getting tricky in December 1810 when the new French fleets start to appear. Britain is on the way to finishing dead last in this game, with Austria probably ending in sixth place.

Now that winter is arriving in the Pacific Northwest, with the usual grey skies and rain, we may be able to play more frequently. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next, as there has been a bit of a diplomatic revolution. Not sure what sort of wars might happen next, but it seems that there is a lot of attention focussed on Italy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Spain is extremely hostile toward Britain and Turkey

Got to love Warren's anti-Spanish spin to each session report.

Spain pledged to not engage in a ship building arms race as long as Britain never DoW'd Spain. Britain DoW'd Spain. Spain now builds about 2 ships a quarter. Obviously Spain is the hostile party.

As for the Turk, he continues to pick off lightly defended Spanish assets while I'm blockaded under the bulk of the British fleet. I said enough to his feasting on the Spanish corpse and ceded Sicily to Austria. If Turkey wants Sicily, it will cost him political points to get it. I guess you could call that a hostile action...if you were writing some British slanted rag and passed it off as objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drabel wrote:
Warren Bruhn wrote:
Spain is extremely hostile toward Britain and Turkey

Got to love Warren's anti-Spanish spin to each session report.

Spain pledged to not engage in a ship building arms race as long as Britain never DoW'd Spain. Britain DoW'd Spain. Spain now builds about 2 ships a quarter. Obviously Spain is the hostile party.

First, there is no "spin" in merely reporting what other players observed to me based on their own diplomacy with Spain and other players. That is not my perspective or "spin." My perspective was that there may be room for diplomacy between Spain and Britain now, and I reported that as well. Then again, if anything that I write based on reports by other players is taken as some sort of propaganda against the Spanish player, then maybe there actually isn't as much room for diplomacy as I thought there was.

I don't remember any promise by Spain not to build ships so long as Britain didn't DoW Spain. Perhaps I didn't use a Q-tip in my ears that day, or maybe that conversation never happened. I certainly don't remember ever asking Spain not to build ships. I don't remember ever even thinking of asking Spain not to build ships. So, if Spain ever made such a promise, why would I remember it? Since I never sought such a promise, it would not have registered. Further, I don't remember us discussing a British DoW on Spain before it happened. Asking Spain not to build ships would not have been in line with my policy before the DoW, and obviously after the DoW I would expect to see Spain building ships.

I report on ship building because it is part of the news of the game. That's what a sessions report is. The people playing in the Dallas/Fort Worth game are reporting on ship building. Why wouldn't that go into a sessions report? And how is reporting on ship building a "slant"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after reading all the game reports since the start, from a neutral point of view I can assure you there is a LOT of grumbling and moaning and crying against Spain and France because they aren't playing the way you thought they should play, and a lot of the others players too BTW. Ans especially Spain that is so unfair and unfriendly against you.

It's funny after a while but did color the report, wich are great read anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
IKerensky wrote:
especially Spain that is so unfair and unfriendly against you.

Yes I am.

To NOT do as Britain demands = Hostile.

Therefore:

Warren Bruhn wrote:
Spain is extremely hostile

Just putting it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you guys could just do your own "non-biased" game reports...

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave L.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
With France having become a meditative, philosophical State instead of a remorseless war machine, the acrimony between Spain and England is some of the best entertainment in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spain 4EIA
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
In the DFW game... (which two session reports are coming soon...) we encourage our session reporter to indulge in a few colorful angles. Several of us take turns writing the reports and its an entertaining way to reward the writer for time and energy sacrificed to share the game with the world.

Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the session that we were supposed to have today didn't happen. A couple of players were feeling under the weather, which, in Oregon can be a bit dreary this time of year. A few of us were left to sit around and talk about the game and get some tea, soup, micro-brewed beer, and snacks. Not sure when we will be able to try again.

Happy holidays to you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.