Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Cana yy
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

1.Parasite

Text:
Install Parasite only on a rezzed piece of ice.
Host ice has -1 strength for each virus counter on Parasite and is trashed if its strength is 0 or less.
When your turn begins, place 1 virus counter on Parasite.

Qs. After the ice trashed, where Parasite goes? Could it be attached to next rezzed Ice? or discard itself?

2.Medium

Q1. If I have both medium with 3 counters each in play.
How many cards I could access in R&D?

Q2. I just wonder whether the below sequence is correct:

Success in a run > add 1 counter to Medium (with 2 counters already)> then I could access up to 3 cards in R&D

Tks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How to use "Parasite"?
It'll go to your heap. When a card is trashed, all things hosted by that card are also trashed, and this includes Parasite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joecana wrote:
Dear all,
2.Medium

Success in a run > add 1 counter to Medium (with 2 counters already)> then I could access up to 3 cards in R&D

Tks a lot.

1. Every counter added to Medium after the first one allows you to access one more card from R&D, so here it's 1 + 2 + 2 = 5.

2. It is correct, you add the counter before accessing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cana yy
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

Tks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Dijkstra
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
b005t3r wrote:
joecana wrote:
Dear all,
2.Medium

Tks a lot.

1. Every counter added to Medium after the first one allows you to access one more card from R&D, so here it's 1 + 2 + 2 = 5.

A much easier way to think of it, is that you access up to one card per token on medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shurdus wrote:
b005t3r wrote:
joecana wrote:
Dear all,
2.Medium

Tks a lot.

A much easier way to think of it, is that you access up to one card per token on medium.

Except it is incorrect. See the example above - six counters on 2 mediums and you access 5 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Phillips
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Shurdus wrote:
b005t3r wrote:
joecana wrote:
Dear all,
2.Medium

Tks a lot.

Except that isn't true for situations where you have multiple mediums in play. 1 medium with 3 counters = access 3 cards, but 2 mediums with three counters each = access 5 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the easiest way I have found to explain how to use medium to people.

First, according to the timing chart, the run is considered successful before you access cards, so you add a virus counter to medium before accessing cards.

If you have one medium in play, the math is real simple. If you have 4 virus counters on medium when you access cards, you can access up to 4 cards. One is mandatory, the other three are optional. That's it. No crazy math required. 4 counters means 4 cards. Just remember that 1 card is mandatory.

Now if you have two mediums in play, the math gets a little more complicated. Now you have to subtract 1. Add up the counters on the two mediums and subtract one. That's how many cards you can access. Like before, 1 card is mandatory and the rest are optional.

With three mediums, you just subtract 2.

Final rule, you have to declare how many optional cards you will access before you access them. No hitting a Snare and then deciding enough is enough. If you decide to access 5 optional cards (after you one mandatory card of course), you are committed until the end.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:

First, according to the timing chart, the run is considered successful before you access cards, so you add a virus counter to medium before accessing cards.

If you have one medium in play, the math is real simple. If you have 4 virus counters on medium when you access cards, you can access up to 4 cards. One is mandatory, the other three are optional. That's it. No crazy math required. 4 counters means 4 cards. Just remember that 1 card is mandatory.

Now if you have two mediums in play, the math gets a little more complicated. Now you have to subtract 1. Add up the counters on the two mediums and subtract one. That's how many cards you can access. Like before, 1 card is mandatory and the rest are optional.

Final rule, you have to declare how many optional cards you will access before you access them. No hitting a Snare and then deciding enough is enough. If you decide to access 5 optional cards (after you one mandatory card of course), you are committed until the end.

I hope this helps.

For those who are fans of formulas:

(Number of tokens on all Mediums) - (Number of Medium cards in play - 1) = Potential for cards seen, minimum 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is way more complicated than simply doing what the card says for each Medium. You access the first card and then may access 1 additional card for each token after the first on Medium.

If it helps use the Blue Token for the first virus counter and then every one after that use a Red Token. When it is time to access cards from RD count all the Red Tokens to see how many extra you get to access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Łazarecki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:

I hope this helps.

This is one of the most complicated things I've ever read

Make it simple - count all counters on Medium, acces num_of_counters - 1 additional cards. Repeat for each medium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not what the card says, but it is how it functionally works:

You will get one EXTRA card for each Virus token that was on any Medium at the START of the Run.

The virus tokens that get added due to the Run being successful (immediately before Access) are the ones you ignore for this Run.

If Medium had been worded to gain its tokens AFTER the Access (not before when the Run is declared Successful) then it might have been clearer, but it is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

You will get one EXTRA card for each Virus token that was on any Medium at the START of the Run.

The virus tokens that get added due to the Run being successful (immediately before Access) are the ones you ignore for this Run.

If Medium had been worded to gain its tokens AFTER the Access (not before when the Run is declared Successful) then it might have been clearer, but it is what it is.

Yep, this is the simplest way to think about it. When you look down at your Mediums installed in your rig as you contemplate running R&D, every counter you see at that point is going to equal one additional card at the end for the run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

Are you sure you should ignore the tokens added on the same run? The timing diagram would seem to disagree with this - the run is successful before cards are accessed, and Medium says "whenever you access cards from R&D", not "whenever you make a run on R&D". So I'd guess you add another token and then access cards.

E.g. I have one medium with 2 counters, I make a run and that makes it 3 counters, meaning I can access 3 cards total if I wish.

Is that right? Please point me to some rules or explanations if I've got it wrong.

Edit: I've re-read your post and I now suspect you mean "ignore" if you're counting "extra cards" rather than "total cards". Is that what you meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjanaway wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

Are you sure you should ignore the tokens added on the same run? The timing diagram would seem to disagree with this - the run is successful before cards are accessed, and Medium says "whenever you access cards from R&D", not "whenever you make a run on R&D". So I'd guess you add another token and then access cards.

E.g. I have one medium with 2 counters, I make a run and that makes it 3 counters, meaning I can access 3 cards total if I wish.

Is that right? Please point me to some rules or explanations if I've got it wrong.

You're both right. Byron was just breaking it down for those who find the card text as written somehow inscrutable and mysterious.

In your example, yes, you can access 3 cards. You can access 2 EXTRA cards, and you had 2 tokens on Medium at the START of the run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Bingo. You Ninja-answered while I was editing that realisation into my post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.