Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this scenario using my Elrond deck.

Frodo is just crazy good here, saving you a large amount of chump-blockers, which would otherwise be needed. I still had to sacrifice a number of Master of the Forge, Imladris Stargazer, and Warden of Healing, in order to keep my Threat in check, of course, but a lot less than I would have had to without Frodo.

Of course, once the game was underway for a few rounds, the amount of stuff this deck can put out is just amazing with lots of resources (I was getting 7 per round eventually) plus Vilya, so I didn't have much trouble to save Frodo some pain (by sending someone else do dance with Shadows and Flames).

Obviously, Secrecy cards are also very good. I only have Resourceful in my deck, but it was quite nice to play those for just 1 resource (barely managed with the second thanks to a timely The Galadhrim's Greeting, which was necessary at that point to get my Threat back below 20).

Quite early, I got Henemarth Riversong, who was extremely helpful (esp. once that dreadful Counter-Spell was out, so I could judge when best to play an Event card without having to discard my entire hand). This guy is really helpful in solo play in general, but I found him extra useful in this scenario. You can even use Events to discard an unwanted (non-Treachery) card from the encounter deck (I did this to remove a Great Cave-Troll... who was then replaced by... a Great Cave-Troll... yay! But in general, it was a pretty good idea - and it worked better on other occasions). Eventually, there was a second Counter-Spell out, at which point I didn't play any further Events (just too dangerous with so many other nice cards in my hand).

Another strong card (which is one of the strongest cards in this game in general, so that was hardly a surprise) was Unexpected Courage. Thanks to these I could basically ignore the Watchful Eyes that were sitting on Elrond since round 1. Fast Hitch is equally useful here, of course, but I happened to have the other one earlier.

In the end, it took two rounds and the combined effort of Elrond, Glorfindel, Beorn, Gildor Inglorion, a bunch of Northern Trackers, and even Frodo to deal 26 damage to the Balrog and at the end of the second round of actual combat with the nasty demon, he was sent into the dark depths. By Gandalf, of course!

I had one Gandalf in play, who lend a hand in dealing lots of damage to Durin's Bane, with another copy sitting in my hand. So, I used Gildor Inglorion (otherwise, the Imladris Stargazer is also very useful at this point, to be sure how many characters you need and which cards you will discard) to put my other Gandalf back on top of the deck to discard him with the Dark Pit and send him into the depths together with the Balrog.

A very thematic finale!

Ok, the Fellowship consisted of Elrond, Glorfindel, Beorn, Gildor, Arwen, Gleowine, Henemarth, Frodo, and Gandalf (plus some non-unique extras), but what can you do.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul feinler
Australia
dunsborough
western australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which expansion is Frodo in?

P.S nice session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ft
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Frodo is in Conflict at the Carrock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.