Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play my MTG cards. In fact, I never did, I always drafted, then stuck the cards in a drawer.

So now I have 258 rares, 923 uncommons and I-dont-know-how-many commons.
I took all my rares and uncommons and ran them through a value calculator and the collection came out to a value of a little 0ver $1000.
Most of these cards are 5-10 years old(ish)

Now, I realize I'm never going to get that, but if I can get half, I'll be satisfied. Question is, how and where should/would I go about doing that?
I could probably get the best prices posting singles on ebay, but hell, that's a few hundred auctions and I don't know how many shipments.

I'm looking for some advice on how I might go about passing these on.
If you need detailed information on what is in the collection, to give advice, let me know and I'll send along an excel sheet.

Thanks for your assistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your commons and uncommons are likely only worth a few dollars, and you would probably do best to sell all the commons and uncommons in one big ebay lot. (With the exception of any particularly valuable ones.)

As for the rares, are you looking to maximize your profits or maximize your convenience? For profits, selling each rare individually on ebay is probably the way to go. For convenience, since you already have them cataloged, check out the buy site of one of the various Magic sites. I recommend StarCityGames.com. They tend to be more expensive when you buy singles, but this also means they pay pretty well when you sell to them. They don't buy every rare (no site does), and ones that aren't on the buy list you will only get 10 cents for selling in bulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, send me the excel sheet and I'll let you know what you should do.

dew_man@hotmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it would actually help if you at least listed the "higher dollar" rares so we could properly tell you what to expect. Depending on what website you used for the value, $1000 may be too high of an expectation. For Magic collectors commons and uncommons are USUALLY only worth "throw in" to buying the larger dollar items. So if you plugged in every card you owned into the value calculator, they might have given you a figure of $500 just on commons and uncommons, which is actually not very realistic in the secondary market (depending on the item granted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Jensen
Denmark
Stenlose
Sealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, these, are the "higher" ones. I've removed the prices I've found, to give you an opportunity to not be tainted, if my own analysees are incorrect.

2 Sneak Attack
1 Academy Rector
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Archangel
1 Scroll Rack
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Rofellos
2 Energy Field
2 Phyrexian Tower
2 Defense of the Heart
2 Karmic Guide
1 Gamble
1 Mishra's Factory (4th)
1 Oath of Druids (DCI)
1 Goblin Welder
2 Stroke of Genius
1 Elvish Piper (10th)
1 Nevinyrral's Disk (4th)
1 Tower of the Magistrate
1 Back to Basics
1 Dust Bowl
1 City of Brass (5th)
1 No Mercy
2 Decimate
2 Phyrexian Plaguelord (8th)
3 Lifeline
1 Ertai
3 Karn
1 Black Market
1 Magistrate's Scepter
1 Karmic Justice
1 Patron Wizard
2 Contamination
2 Nether Spirit
1 Masticore
1 Birds of Paradise (10th)
1 Manabond
1 Memory Jar
1 Persecute
2 Pariah
4 Lotus Petal
1 Opposition
1 Skyshroud Poacher
1 Food Chain
1 High Market
1 Great Whale
1 Phyrexian Negator
2 Donate
1 Lotus Blossom
1 Temporal Aperture
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
1 Repercussion
1 Spike Weaver
1 Conspiracy (MM)
1 Crackdown
1 Mishra's Helix
1 Underground River (10th)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
Cards of that age are probably going to sell for a lot less than $1000. Whilst an online store will sell a card for say $10 they may go months if not years before some of the older cards sell. Their business is to offer a big collection for sale and whilst there is slow turn over on individual cards, a combination of these means a regular income.

He's talking about cards that are 5 years old though. Right now we're in the tail end of Modern Season, so some of those cards are fetching a $10 tag because they are selling for that much. Most online retailers that deal in Magic go with supply and demand, and will NOT leave something at $10 if it's not selling for that.

If you were talking about cards from The Dark or Legends, that contain "nostalgia" cards for higher value, I'd agree... but not for cards that young.

EDIT - Now I see the list, many of the higher value cards are older than 5 years. In fact, some of these are high value because of the casual, Legacy, and EDH/Commander market, and not because of Modern.

I'd say go a local shop with an excellent Magic scene and see what they'd be willing to buy you out at. Keeping in mind you won't hit a $1000 price tag, but you should see an okay offer in store credit at the very least. Otherwise, ebay is a great bet for you. Those Sneak Attacks should be sold on ebay for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing you are from Denmark, I STRONGLY recommend you sell your cards via. the local mtg trading forum called: www.inferno-magic.dk The site is a non-commercial php-forum and there are no fees.

Just make sure to read the rules before you post. It is not difficult, and I used the site a lot back when I played.

I'm actually in the exact same situation as you. I have a rather large Eternal collection that I wan't t turn into cash, but it is just a huuuge task to catalogue and send individual cards.. I'm slowly getting there, but I wish there was some online tool to help the process. I have looked into www.deckbox.org, but their condition rating system does not suit my needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NetSapiens wrote:
Ok, these, are the "higher" ones. I've removed the prices I've found, to give you an opportunity to not be tainted, if my own analysees are incorrect.

2 Sneak Attack
1 Academy Rector
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Archangel
1 Scroll Rack
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Rofellos
2 Energy Field
2 Phyrexian Tower
2 Defense of the Heart
2 Karmic Guide
1 Gamble
1 Mishra's Factory (4th)
1 Oath of Druids (DCI)
1 Goblin Welder
2 Stroke of Genius
1 Elvish Piper (10th)
1 Nevinyrral's Disk (4th)
1 Tower of the Magistrate
1 Back to Basics
1 Dust Bowl
1 City of Brass (5th)
1 No Mercy
2 Decimate
2 Phyrexian Plaguelord (8th)
3 Lifeline
1 Ertai
3 Karn
1 Black Market
1 Magistrate's Scepter
1 Karmic Justice
1 Patron Wizard
2 Contamination
2 Nether Spirit
1 Masticore
1 Birds of Paradise (10th)
1 Manabond
1 Memory Jar
1 Persecute
2 Pariah
4 Lotus Petal
1 Opposition
1 Skyshroud Poacher
1 Food Chain
1 High Market
1 Great Whale
1 Phyrexian Negator
2 Donate
1 Lotus Blossom
1 Temporal Aperture
1 Ill-Gotten Gains
1 Repercussion
1 Spike Weaver
1 Conspiracy (MM)
1 Crackdown
1 Mishra's Helix
1 Underground River (10th)

You've got those essentially arranged in descending order of value, it seems. Archangel and Mishra's Factory don't really seem to belong though (neither is worth that much. The factory you may have been looking at Antiquities prices instead of 4th edition. )

Just with those, Star City would pay a little over $250 (hopefully my math isn't too fuzzy, it was a cursory look and assumes NM condition). Again, you could probably do better selling them individually yourself, but it's nice to have an instant source to buy them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
They might SELL those for $250. I doubt SCG would offer you more than $150. Realize they are trying to make money not break even. If you have someone offer you $300 for your whole collection take the money and run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
They might SELL those for $250. I doubt SCG would offer you more than $150. Realize they are trying to make money not break even. If you have someone offer you $300 for your whole collection take the money and run.

Agree 100% You might get an okay deal though from a local shop for trade in value if you have a good relationship with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

I got that number by looking at their buy list. It's over $200 for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
super varal
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I sold some cards a few years ago, a friend of mine that played a lot helped me find buyers at least for the big cards ($20+) that are easier to find buyers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.