Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a game similar to Memoir'44 but is naval rather than land based, ideally WWII.

My 6 year old loves Memoir'44 - and plays quite competently, but he really likes the idea of playing the same sort of game with naval/air action.

I thought about getting Axis & Allies Pacific - but he's not really old enough to deal with the planning around purchasing units and following a long-term strategy - and the play length is a problem, really need a game that is playable in about an hour maximum.

Ideally it needs plastic minis rather than cardboard counters just for visual appeal.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, there's Mission Command: Sea by Milton Bradley, which I own but have not played yet. However I'm sure it's a notch or two simpler than Memoir 44. But it does have cool bits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are none that I know of. You may want to investigate Naval Battles - it's very simple and fun.

If you want to move stuff around (but not plastic) the old AH game Jutland (OOP but cheapsih on ebay) is fantastic, but about twice as involved as Memoir - very wuch worth it, if you like the era!

Midway, also AH OOP, ianother simple naval (plus air) game.

Lightning Midway is another.

Go for it!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
songbird wrote:
Well, there's Mission Command: Sea by Milton Bradley, which I own but have not played yet. However I'm sure it's a notch or two simpler than Memoir 44. But it does have cool bits!

That looks like it might fit the bill, but of course I've never seen it in the UK soblue

So probably need to modify my inital request to include "avaliable in the UK/Europe ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've not played Memoir'44, but you want to check out Naval War, presuming that you will be able to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Woodson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadsides, an old MB classic, has some fun - very basic naval action. It's out of print but available on the secondary market. It's not like Memoir 44 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Duguid Farrant
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Yes Nige, make one up you can always use the fiures from Axis and use the mechanisms from Memoir '44.

I hope to be a Col's this Saturday.

Trev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Day
Wales
Llandrindod Wells
Powys
flag msg tools
mb
How about this

http://www.angelfire.com/games2/warpspawn/Carriers.html

haven't tried it yet but looks kinda OK, all info is on cards so should be Ok for the young 'un.

Free, play on a chessboard, with cards and counters to print out

or buy A&A Pacific anyway (for when he grows up ) and use the nice subs, ships and planes for this or perhaps some other simple game perhaps based on the very flexible Battlecry/Memoir 44 engine.

Destroyers can only sink subs, but subs only throw 2 dice
make your own dice stickers for a/c carrier, planes. subs, destroyers
planes move 3, bomb with 1 dice but torpedo with 3 but ships get return fire

All that sort of thing - sounds good, might write them myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
What you ought to be seeking out is a copy of THIS!:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2444

It provides an excellent 'playing' and is quite simple as well. There are quite a few up for TRADE proposals here, and 'click' upon the LINK provided to find out 'who' these folks are to obtain a 'copy' by some means. Good Luck then.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
bucklen_uk wrote:
songbird wrote:

That looks like it might fit the bill, but of course I've never seen it in the UK soblue

So probably need to modify my inital request to include "avaliable in the UK/Europe ..."

The game is so cheap you can probable get it from a USA supplier and still spend under USD$30 total.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6980

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robinson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are rumors of a Memoir '44 expansion for the Pacific Theater. I'm guessing this expansion will include air and naval units.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=5448&start=0&...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Carrier Strike" was actually the original design from which "Mission Command: Naval" was developed. MC:N updates the carriers to Nimitz class CVs, changes the TBMs to F-14s and adds islands. It also reduces the number of carriers from two per side to one, but adds two destroyers with their own maneuver and fire capabilities. All in all, it was a nice little upgrade.

The Pacific version of "Memoir '44" will probably consist of Japanese pieces and modified rules (for example, "Recon" cards might be playable as "Ambush" for the Japanese player). It will most likely have no naval element.

A few years back Richard Borg told me he was experimenting with a naval design. I asked him about this last summer at Historicon and he told me the game worked okay, but it "just isn't that much fun." So it's not likely we'll see a naval "Memoir."

However, Larry Harris, the designer of the original Axis and Allies, Six Caesars/Conquest of the Empire and Broadsides & Boarding Parties, is working on an all-new Guadalcanal Campaign game for a company other than AH/Hasbro. Larry described this game a few weeks ago on BGG in a thread announcing his connection to a company, the name of which I can't recall.

The game will have naval/air/land elements and will apparently have minis, probably historical/prototypical. It will have a new combat resolution system, and rather than "builds," players will constitute forces by paying a price of some kind for heavy units like cruisers and battleships in naval forces carrying out specific missions. It sounds wonderful and might see the light of day by late summer '06.

There is another intriguing prospect as well. In a recent article on the Avalon Hill site the marketers of "A&A Minis" have said that WW II was fought in three dimensions. They hint at future expansions with air and naval units. My guess is that we might see 1:300 aircraft and 1:2400 warships down the road, if the A&A "land" minis do well.

I don't know if A&A Minis have reached Europe or not. In the meantime, you might try to acquire Panzerschreck's "Battleships at War: North Atlantic," which is a very playable counters-on-the-table game of WW II cruiser/battleship surface actions such as the Bismarck battles, Graf Spee vs. Exeter/Ajax/Achilles and others (many large ships are represented from the major European navies).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Here is the LINK of the ''Matrix Games'' with their ''Larry Harris Game Design'' news blurb. You can also access Larry's site from this as well.

http://www.matrixgames.com/news.asp?nid=273
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.