Subject: Faction Specialties rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Brill
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
The LCG system seems like a means of implementing CCG mechanics without the booster pack lottery, which I appreciate tremendously. Of course, the CCG that is a gold-standard of sorts is MTG. It seems to me like the factions in the game are somewhat analogous to colors in MTG, even if the comparison isn't perfect. I like that in Netrunner deckbuilders are limited in how much out of faction stuff they can include but aren't penalized in-game for using it, instead of MTG where off-color stuff tends to slow down your progression.

So, my question is, what are the mechanical specialties, strengths, and weaknesses of each faction? I'm too new to the game to really get a feeling of how the whole becomes more than the sum of its parts. I notice the Anarch has a lot of cards that synergize with Viruses, but I don't know how that exactly translates into gameplay. What does each faction specialize in, and what does in mean for play style? The rulebook includes wonderful fluff but doesn't give very much info into the crunch differences with each faction.
Thanks. Forgive me if someone else posted a guide to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is worded as weaknesses instead of strengths, and asked specifically about Corps, but the answers include or hint at strengths as well, and some have included Runners in their reply, so I'm guessing this will give you what you're looking for:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/884621/weaknesses-of-eac...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I brush it this way when I am teaching the game:

Shaper's are jack-of-all trades. They have solid income, solid quality ICE (that punishes the Corp for defending a server with a bunch of the same kind of ice) and ways to increase their rig - not to mention ways to adjust to changes in game state on the fly (giving an Ice all 3 types prior to running so they can break it - for example). Shaper's are all about their rig, Memory, Great Ice and Good Programs with cash acceleration to get there. Run often, but run confidently.

Criminal's are the richest runner. They gain credits like nothing else, and use that influx of cash to play it safe. Through tricks like Sneakdoor Beta (lets them get into HQ from Archives) and Femme Fatale (by pass a specific piece of ice for free for the rest of the game) they avoid risky runs. Run less frequently, but run safely.

Anarch's are the crazy ones. Noise utilizes viruses to great effect, chewing down the R&D of the Corp and forcing them to defend Archives like it was HQ (I often score Agendas from Archives as Anarch that were discarded when I installed a virus). Noise runs low on credits and slim on breakers - he has some cheap but efficient ones that have hard upper bounds. Viruses let noise threaten R&D to great effect (Medium) or chew away ice (Parasite). Run often, whatever the cost.

As for Corporations:

Jinteki is the trap/mind-game corp. They have Project Junebug and Snare! The existence of both of which force the runner to play differently and up the ante as it were.

Weyland is, right now, Scortched Earth. They want to tag you and drop a satellite on your house (or two for good measure). They win by flatline. I haven't played Weyland but by looking at their stuff I think they are the rich one too.

HB has the most solid ice with their Bioroids. A small drawback on each, the ability to use clicks to bypass subroutines, is nearly eliminate when a server gets to be 2 or 3 Bioroids deep. HB also has solid income to pay for their expensive, but great quality, ICE.

NBN is the tag/agenda acceleration Corp. They have 101 ways to Tag you and lots of tricks for playing extra advancement tokens (on the Runner's turn and their own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchs specialize in harassing the corporation, weakening ICE, and powerful cards with side effects. Notable cards: Parasite, Stimhack.

Criminals focus on unpredictability, running on the Corp's hand, and having a very burst-driven economy. Notable cards: Sneakdoor Beta, Account Siphon.

Shapers focus on well-roundedness, powerful ICE breakers, and a reliable, consistent economy. Notable cards: Magnum Opus, Modded.

Haas-Bioroid focuses on getting out powerful ICE, destroying programs, and leveraging their strong economy. Notable cards: Ichi 1.0, Biotic Labor.

Jinteki focuses on traps, net damage, and mind-games to manipulate the runner. Notable cards: Chum, Snare!.

NBN focuses on traces, tags, and ways to hinder the runner with those tags, as well as fast-scoring agendas. Notable cards: Data Raven, SanSan City Grid.

Weyland focuses on end-the-run ICE, an event-driven economy, and killing the runner after a tag. Notable cards: Archer, Scorched Earth.

*Note: the cards I picked aren't necessarily the best of that faction, though I think they're all very good. Rather, they are the ones I think convey the feeling, or essence, of the respective factions and their mechanics. That's just my opinion, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Weyland is, right now, Scortched Earth. They want to tag you and drop a satellite on your house (or two for good measure). They win by flatline. I haven't played Weyland but by looking at their stuff I think they are the rich one too.

As a Weyland player, I still win the majority (maybe 70%) of my games through advancing agendas. SE isn't the main way I win against good runners, but it serves the function of turning my tags from annoyances into lethal threats that cannot be ignored. I also think Archer is a critical card in Weyland's arsenal, at least as much as SE, if not more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hedegaard
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most succinct way I've found to differentiate the runners is:

Shapers: Break through the corp's defenses with an awesome rig.
Criminal: Sneak around the corp's defenses.
Anarch: Destroy the corp's defenses/deck.

Being a former MtG player, I found the color choice interesting for the runner factions: Anarch/red comes across as a destruction-happy "burn" deck. Shapers/green overwhelm the defense with powerful icebreakers/creatures. Criminal/blue is more subversive, finding clever ways to outsmart and circumvent the opponents efforts as opposed to beating them at their own game.

The corporations don't fit quite as well into the MtG mold, but they are still pretty distinct from each other:

NBN: Tags and fast advance to score agendas before the runner can respond.
Haas-Bioroid: ICE that gets better the taller the ICE stack is (bioroids) and a good econ.
Jinteki: Traps, trickery, and lots of net damage.
Weyland: Stop the runner at all costs. Often self-destructive (archer, bad publicity, etc.), but packing a lot of brute force with very powerful run stopping ICE and Scorched Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brill
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, definitely helpful.
I guess we'll also see how things develop as expansions come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, any updates to this thread with five years of expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.