8 Posts

Super Dungeon Explore» Forums » General

Subject: Varying quality - picking up the right box! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoltan Saghy
Norway
flag msg tools
I've heared reports of varying quality in the contents of the box. Regading to too thin cards and some low quality figure prints.

I'm planning to pick this game up. I've been reading that the offset coin prints have been aided in a later edition of the game for example, so there's been improvements.

Is there a way to ensure I choose a box with good quality prints in it?

I'm thinking like... Is the 3rd edition out, does it have better quality contects?
or
Did different manufacturers supply the figures? So I can check the manufacturer on the box? Like Cool Mini Or Not and Soda Pop Miniatures. I'm thinking maybe one of them does supply better figures.

How can I find out which edition of the game I'm buying? Is it on the back of the box? Or have a different design of the box art?

Any advice?
ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The quality issues you mention were first ed I believe.
Most, if not all if that has been fixed with the 2nd ed.
There is a way to tell the difference on the boxes.
IIRC, its in the contents list on the back of the box.
There are a couple thread here kn bgg about this.
Best thing I can say is search for em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there are several threads listing markers on the boxes that identify the updated reprints from the 1st editions. One of the things I remember off the top of my head is that in the 1st ed. the pictures of units on the back were 3d renderings and the newer eds. had actual pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As said second edition fixed token mis-alignment (this was in my opinion very poor in 1st ed), cards are thicker in 2nd ed, models the same very good quality (don't forget few tubes of superglue to assemble). rulebook in 2nd ed makes more sense (neither are great, but all answers are on here in forum), but quality of paper in 2nd ed rulebook is poorer quality. 2nd ed map tiles can tend to warp (just like 1st ed), but placed under a few heavy gameboxes for a couple of days will have them perfect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 2nd printing version of the game, and while the cardstock of the loot/treasure cards and box are better quality than the first, there were still a few niggles...

1. Boards still aren't the best cardstock, they tend to warp
2. White paint on the dice is a bit patchy
3. Although spare parts for the minis are included, my box set was still missing an arm for a Flinger.
4. My particular game was missing a single Bind token from the sheet. It just wasn't in the box.
5. Flip top game box is still a bit flimsy.

However, Soda Pop customer service are really good, and they sent out the missing parts to me after I emailed them. And I can't fault the minis, they're really nice quality castings. I used thin superglue to assemble them. You might have more trouble using slower setting thick gel superglue with some of the more complicated models like Starfire.

Rulebook is vague in places, but I had few problems playing with the rules as they are combined with the 1.2 FAQ, and after watching Rodney's WatchItPlayed session on youtube. I would still like Soda Pop to make a living pdf rulebook available with all the latest updates.

My FLGS says there's a new batch of the 2nd edition in December, so perhaps more quality issues will be addressed.

- J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this out - http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/821478/telling-if-a-game-is-...

Should give you all the info that you need. I had the same issue and bought my copy from eBay but I just e-mailed the seller to double check before I bought it. The cards and miniatures were all fine. Lots of mold lines which was a bit of a pain in the ass but not the end of the world and they stuck together really easily with Gorilla Superglue (it's a hard plastic so poly cement doesn't work). The rulebook is garbage but mainly because it's badly organised. Check out the above mentioned video and read some FAQs when you get stuck. After a couple of games you'll have the hang of it easily and it's great fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
As said second edition fixed token mis-alignment (this was in my opinion very poor in 1st ed), ...
This is incorrect. My second print had mis-aligned tokens (one plate of tokens slightly, the other terribly). Cool-Mini-Or-Not were, however, very prompt and courteous in sending over perfectly aligned versions once they heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 1st printing, the tokens had smaller circular pictures that left a black border, so printing alignment issues were more obvious.

On the 2nd printing, they revised the art so the whole face of the token is covered, which makes minor alignment issues less noticeable. However, there were still problems with alignment.

- J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.