Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Lewicki
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, here's what I've heard so far. I'm not making any assumptions about the validity of any of these comments, just trying to summarize the issues raised so far.

1) Licensing: it's not clear whether VG/RG actually has the rights to create a UF re-print/update. WotC/Hasbro has some possible claim to them, and its unclear whether VG/RG has actually gotten the approval of Hasbro to publish the game. Previous attempts to work with WotC/Hasbro for the rights to re-print were not successful.

2) Lawsuits: VG currently has legal action pending against it (not including any from Hasbro) which would potentially have a severe impact on the company.

3) Publisher: The game is being listed as being published by Radiant Games on the KS page, but RG's website is a GoDaddy advertisement page, and previous games credited to Rik (the project creator) were published (and are still sold by) Valley Games.

4) Some of the art shown in the VG/RG videos is copyrighted. It is unclear what the new art will be at this time.

5) There are new rules being proposed, but they seem to still be under development during the KS. It is not clear if they were play tested, or by whom. There is no (un)official copy of the proposed rule book published to this point.

6) The game is being sold in a fashion that seems to be overly expensive (based on comments) for the base game. Promises of future expansions are planned, and "name a character" amounts are in the hundreds of dollars (common for KS rewards).

VG has produced quality re-prints in the past, and having UF back in circulation would be a great thing (I own, and love, the original). But I have a hard time pledging money given these issues, both from a solvency perspective, and from a morality perspective. After thoroughly reviewing KS' business model, it seems that once they have your money, its just an act of faith that you'll get anything for it.

Until Rik addresses these issues, I'm having trouble taking this KS seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the warning. Given the price of that KS, I'll bail out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you back at the $125 level, you get $188 in product with shipping paid. That's about a 33% discount according to the suggested price contained within the Kickstarter comments and not including the stretch rewards with will likely see the light of day at FLGS in the future.

Not trying to convince you to pledge, but just saying that the pledge price is about the same as the online store price.

Now all the speculation about VG and Radiant Games, etc is another thing.

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillion wrote:

3) Publisher: The game is being listed as being published by Radiant Games on the KS page, but RG's website is a GoDaddy advertisement page, and previous games credited to Rik (the project creator) were published (and are still sold by) Valley Games.

For what it's worth I'll add that when the kickstarter project started it showed valleygames.ca as the homepage. That was recently changed to radiantgaming.com. Radiantgaming.com is registered to the name of Valley Game's president and their Canadian street address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Maximillion wrote:

For what it's worth I'll add that when the kickstarter project started it showed valleygames.ca as the homepage. That was recently changed to radiantgaming.com. Radiantgaming.com is registered to the name of Valley Game's president and their Canadian street address.

Then changing their listed website to a parked domain was stupid. What reason would you have—other than (1) trying to shake off legal liability or (2) gross incompetence—for redirecting a working URL, during a live Kickstarter campaign, to a parked one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Man, how do you keep up with all those tabs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
Verkisto wrote:
Man, how do you keep up with all those tabs?

I train for it by playing wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
I train for it by playing wargames.

Gary Grigsby games, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
mb
ldsdbomber wrote:
he has to open so many so that he can hide the tab names that might get him into hot water

Yes, and they're all BGG Marketplace listings I'm considering! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillion wrote:

1) Licensing: it's not clear whether VG/RG actually has the rights to create a UF re-print/update. WotC/Hasbro has some possible claim to them, and its unclear whether VG/RG has actually gotten the approval of Hasbro to publish the game. Previous attempts to work with WotC/Hasbro for the rights to re-print were not successful.

With the original designer of the game, Coutney Allen, on the team, I bet this is no issue. I sincerely doubt that Allen would take any part in this if the Licensing haden't been sorted out.

Maximillion wrote:

4) Some of the art shown in the VG/RG videos is copyrighted. It is unclear what the new art will be at this time.

Again:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/864292/ron-volstad-to-do...

Maximillion wrote:

5) There are new rules being proposed, but they seem to still be under development during the KS. It is not clear if they were play tested, or by whom. There is no (un)official copy of the proposed rule book published to this point.

Not exactly too many new rules, i believe. Only streamlining and slight changes:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/884458/up-front-a-author...

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also read on the internetz that the cards will actually be made from human flesh and overpriced human flesh at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stroar wrote:

With the original designer of the game, Coutney Allen, on the team, I bet this is no issue. I sincerely doubt that Allen would take any part in this if the Licensing haden't been sorted out.

Richard Hamblen made that mistake with Merchant of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maximillion wrote:

Well yeah... why would a project be totally completed prior to a Kickstarter campaign? There is an (authorized) kickstarter thread around here where the re-print team suggest they have been play testing the rules. Re-writing the rule book is going to be a monumental task, especially when you here specifics on the expanded/advanced rule book. So having nothing published so far is no surprise. But who ever wonders about the rule book before buying a game? Are you maybe stretching for reasons not to support this?

Granted some of your reasons are valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:

But who ever wonders about the rule book before buying a game?

If you go back through some of the more recent Kickstarter projects you'll see this is a very frequent concern. I don't know how much concern there should be there on a rewrite versus a new game, but people will definitely want to know how much different this will be than the original version, for a variety of reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this issue and other recent Kickstarter issues, have moved me to the stance of, "I will let others back the projects. If they are good enough, I will be able to get a hold of the game via my OLGS. If not, they aren't good enough."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
7) I will sue my wife, given the correct circumstance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
I think this issue and other recent Kickstarter issues, have moved me to the stance of, "I will let others back the projects. If they are good enough, I will be able to get a hold of the game via my OLGS. If not, they aren't good enough."

Blaming Kickstarter for this is sort of like blaming the movie theater for the movie sucking. It's not Kickstarter's fault and there are plenty of good games put up by good companies -- too many, in fact, to let a couple rotten apples spoil the whole Kickstarter thing for you.

I look at it as a question of risk, and I look at it on an individual basis. And I think the BGG community is INVALUABLE in helping me assess that risk. Yes, you can get bitten by an inexperienced company biting off more than they can reasonably chew, but when you've got a company with a clear and verifiable history to call on, when you see the red flags going up, that's when you back away (or, roll the dice and hope for the best).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

Blaming Kickstarter for this is sort of like blaming the movie theater for the movie sucking. It's not Kickstarter's fault and there are plenty of good games put up by good companies -- too many, in fact, to let a couple rotten apples spoil the whole Kickstarter thing for you.

I look at it as a question of risk, and I look at it on an individual basis. And I think the BGG community is INVALUABLE in helping me assess that risk. Yes, you can get bitten by an inexperienced company biting off more than they can reasonably chew, but when you've got a company with a clear and verifiable history to call on, when you see the red flags going up, that's when you back away (or, roll the dice and hope for the best).

I'm not assessing blame. I'm blaming a bunch of recent crap games (and stupid crap like this), when I can get great games from existing companies that don't use Kickstarter just fine. Kickstarter is fine. I'll just let others thin out the herd for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just cancelled my pledge. This is beyond fishy at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maus wrote:
Not trying to convince you to pledge, but just saying that the pledge price is about the same as the online store price.

Yeah, I have to say complaints about the pricing should be the least of anyone's worries. I'm cheap as they come and yet I find $40 for US/German card set base game to be quite reasonable. Sure it's not the US/German/Russian of the original but then again it's only $40 for a classic game. Assuming the rules are not "updated" beyond recognition, that's a bargain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
I also read on the internetz that the cards will actually be made from human flesh and overpriced human flesh at that.

Ok, backing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
DrBrewhaha wrote:

Ok, backing.

I thought human flesh was a stretch goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
gschmidl wrote:
DrBrewhaha wrote:

Ok, backing.

I've given my pound of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
ohbalto wrote:
gschmidl wrote:
DrBrewhaha wrote:

Ok, backing.

I've given my pound of it.

Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
DrBrewhaha wrote:

Richard Hamblen made that mistake with Merchant of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.