Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to buy something I thought would be easy to find: card sleeves that are transparent (no tinting or coloured backs or designs), for poker-sized cards.

Unfortunately, sleeve manufacturers seem to have vanished down a black pit of formats and specialization and bafflegab. I've just spent 10 minutes clicking through "Ultra chimeric zappo-style sleeves with mylar garfibbles and zurtec prime coating" in store descriptions to find that this particular sleeve only fits 1.5" x 13" tiles for a German railroad game that was discontinued in 1978.

Any recommendations or links to a store that just sells transparent standard-sized card sleeves? I only need about 30 of the darn things. This is doing my head in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind the little hologram, any ultra-pro standard size sleeves will do. They are available in clear. I personally hate the hologram, but have used them for some games.

If you want to pay double the price, Dragon Shield sleeves come in boxes of 100 and are available in clear.

Fantasy Flight standard (grey package) sleeves are the best, but they have been out of stock at supplier and distribution for a while now.

There are quite a few other asian brand sleeves available at any store specializing in CCGs. They come in packs of 80 usually, and can be kind of expensive.

I'm not sure how far you are from Montreal/Ottawa, but there is a huge Magic the Gathering following in that area. I'm sure there are plenty of stores that stock various brand clear sleeves in standard size.

Do not buy any Mayday Games brand sleeves. You will regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why you had such trouble finding these. I did a google search for "clear card sleeves", clicked "results from canada" and found an online store in quebec in the top five search results.

Here are some good clear sleeves from that store:
http://cartamagicastore.com/gaming-accessories/regular-sleev...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to wikipedia, poker decks are (2.5×3.5 inches (64×89 mm)). They're a bit wider.

This can be a problem, because in the boardgaming world, 'Standard Size' is,
according to Fantasy Flight (a popular supplier) 2.5 X 3.5 (63.5 X 88mm). So it is not clear to me that your Poker deck is going to fit into those FF grey sleeves. FF makes lots of different sizes, but the one you are interested in is FF605 (grey).
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm... The problem is that they are sold out pretty much all over the planet right now. Fantasy Flight says they will make some more _real_ _soon_ but we've been waiting more than a month now.

So, if you cannot get FF sleeves, maybe Mayday games makes some that will fit.
http://www.meeplemart.com/products/dark-green-label-premium-...-

But again, 63.5 x 88. So will they fit? And the quality is often not the best with Mayday sleeves, so if you buy some get the premium ones.

Don't buy ultrapro sleeves.

If these are too small, write back. There are other options, though I don't know about availability in Canada. For instance, Arcane Tinman makes good sleeves.
http://www.arcanetinmen.dk/products/board-game-sleeves
I have no idea who sells them in Canada. Easiest is probably if you tell me where you live and I just mail you some since they are very common here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker size is "standard size". You cannot go by what sleeve manufacturers say. FFG in particular seem to have broken calculators, as their stated measurements are incorrect.

I've put many cards that measured exactly 2.5x3.5 inches into standard card gaming sleeves with no problem. At least with sleeves from Ultra Pro and FFG. Mayday Games sleeves, however, are measured differently, inconsistently, and designed to be very tight. I bought a bunch and less than half of them fit my cards. Fortunately, I was able to get my money back, but avoid them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies so far. I was almost sold on the Canadian vendor, but then discovered they charge $16 shipping and handling for a pack of card sleeves that would ship handily in a $0.50 #10 envelope.

Daniel, I think you illustrate the problem exactly, in that in one post you're telling me how easy it is to find the things, but in the next that some manufacturers can't be trusted and only certain manufacturers are reliable. It's intensely frustrating trying to find "standard" card sleeves when every manufacturer seems to hew to its own secret standards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Meeplemart, what does this "xyz label" business mean? I assumed it meant the sleeves were dyed or had some sort of solid back, and weren't transparent. Are they separating their card sleeve by the colour of the ink on the outside of the card sleeve packaging? Seriously?

Actually, let me help you share my pain for a minute here.

Also at Meeplemart:

Clear sleeves: sold out.

What are "____ Label" sleeves? No idea.

Do they list their sleeves by any sorting mechanism that makes sense to humans? No. You have to click through to each. individual. sleeve. to see what size they fit, most of them are sold out, and the rest may or may not be clear, because I don't know what the opaque (ha) "_____ label" term means.

I've used Starlit Citadel in the past and been happy; I'll try them.

Oh, great! Clear sleeves! They are "European board game" sleeves. What size do they fit? Let me click the product description and... no info.

Lots of other sleeves with art on them, which I don't want...

An "ultra pro deck box." I don't know why that turned up in a search for "sleeves." Great.

What about Valet de Coeur? Local Montreal boys. I can't get to Montreal often, but I've liked them when I've visited.

Nothing in Search on their Web site under "sleeve" or "sleeves."

Let's see, I'll try a Google search for "clear card sleeves Canada."

#1 result: a bag company.
#2 result: the same bag company again.
#3 result: a company that makes blank cards.
#4 result: hey, Starlit Citadel again! Wicked awesome search engine placement, boys. I'll be sure to pick up these card sleeves with no mentioned sizing and which are out of stock anyway. Jackasses.
#5 result: see #1 and #2.
#6 result: Amazon.com. I'm Canadian. Amazon.ca doesn't carry card sleeves. I checked.
#7 result: Amazon.com again.
#8 result: Meeplemart. The linked product, "Dragon Shields," doesn't turn up in their normal category for card sleeves, and has no size listed.

Getting the picture? The one place listed in this thread that has clear card sleeves for standard-sized cards in stock charges $16 for a $0.50 stamp.

I appreciate the attempts for help so far, but let me take another run at this:

I would like to find the following:

1. A store.
2. In Canada.
3. That has clear card sleeves suitable for poker-sized cards in stock.
4. That will mail them to me in exchange for money.
5. That will not charge profoundly stupid amounts of cash to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShepherd wrote:
With Meeplemart, what does this "xyz label" business mean? I assumed it meant the sleeves were dyed or had some sort of solid back, and weren't transparent. Are they separating their card sleeve by the colour of the ink on the outside of the card sleeve packaging? Seriously?

That's FFG's fault - all their sleeves are colour coded.

See: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Separating by the colour of the packaging is common. Cards come in so many sizes. see: http://maydaygames.com/card-sleeves.

Incidentally, is it an actual Poker deck you are trying to sleeve? Because I would just buy a set of Kem cards instead. I've got ones that are 30 years old and still in perfect condition around the house. But I assume that you have a game where the cards are the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Don't buy ultrapro sleeves.

Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones around here are even worse for being inconsistant in size than the Mayday sleeves. Also many of the sleeves have little round holograms on them, but I kept getting packs where only half of the sleeves had the holograms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight: clear sleeves that fit "standard" cards are "available soon."

I'm not trying to sleeve a poker deck. I'm trying to sleeve a set of custom-made cards that I have spent literally hundreds of hours designing to poker card specs because they are, in theory, the most common kind of card in the galaxy.

Had I known that the only way to buy clear card sleeves was to buy a box of "Fuscia label" cards for 1" x 0.767" cards made only for an obscure variant of Rummy played in the Bulgarian countryside by one-eyed sheep farmers, I would have approached the project differently.

Let me be clear: I am super appreciative of everyone in this thread that is trying to help. Sincerely.

But this is just insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just sleeved the final 100s of cards cards of my latest prototype (2.5 x 3.5) in clear sleeves that are available at both gaming shops here in Waterloo. J&J has them still in stock. http://www.jjcards.com They have a 1-800 number, call and ask them what they'd charge for shipping, otherwise buy them and I'll walk over (5 minutes from my office) and pop them in the mail for you (next door) at cost. The other place the sleeves are thinner, but the ones at J&J were great; nice and thick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A kindly BGGer saw that I was about to enter some sort of state of catatonic apoplexy and offered to just flat-out mail me some surplus they have. Thank you to this anonymous good Samaritan, and also to you, David -- that's also a fantastic offer and much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShepherd wrote:
A kindly BGGer saw that I was about to enter some sort of state of catatonic apoplexy and offered to just flat-out mail me some surplus they have. Thank you to this anonymous good Samaritan, and also to you, David -- that's also a fantastic offer and much appreciated.

You're welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShepherd wrote:
"available soon"...

...the most common kind of card in the galaxy.

These two things may be related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MattShepherd wrote:
I've just spent 10 minutes clicking through "Ultra chimeric zappo-style sleeves with mylar garfibbles and zurtec prime coating" in store descriptions to find that this particular sleeve only fits 1.5" x 13" tiles for a German railroad game that was discontinued in 1978.

If the game was discontinued in 1978, I think it is quite natural that people want to protect their copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShepherd wrote:

I've used Starlit Citadel in the past and been happy; I'll try them.

Oh, great! Clear sleeves! They are "European board game" sleeves. What size do they fit? Let me click the product description and... no info.

Lots of other sleeves with art on them, which I don't want...

An "ultra pro deck box." I don't know why that turned up in a search for "sleeves." Great.

Glad to hear that you've had good luck with us before Matt. For sleeves, shipping cost is expensive anyway unless you call and receive a quote since otherwise, the system automatically charges for Expedited Parcels.

With regard to figuring out which sleeves to go with, we always have the 888-number and our e-mail. Contact us and we can help guide you to the correct sleeve - in this case, either the Mayday's Standard or Premium or if you don't mind the tiny hologram, the Ultra Pro's Standard Sleeves.

MattShepherd wrote:

#4 result: hey, Starlit Citadel again! Wicked awesome search engine placement, boys. I'll be sure to pick up these card sleeves with no mentioned sizing and which are out of stock anyway. Jackasses.

I'm sorry you are upset about our search placement, but we can't control which pages Google decides to show so aren't able to have them show a more appropriate, in-stock page. However, there is a description on the product page - "These card sleeves are fitted to common Magic the Gathering, Pokemon and other CCG and common sized cards."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize for being a jerky jerk, Tao. Y'all are swell, and happened to be the company that intersected with mounting frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tao Wong
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem Matt. I understand frustration too. Been getting a master class of it in the last few weeks myself

If you ever run into issues like this again, just e-mail/call. I am going to look into what we can do about the sleeves sorting, there's obviously an issue that we need to figure out in display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.