BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: New train game design blog rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've started a new design project, working on yet another train game! I wanted to document my thinking on a variety of design decisions over a series of posts, and to get some advice and criticism, and the Powers That Be recommended starting a local BGG blog on the topic. So here it is: the "Great Train Robbery" blog

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/1926/great-train-robbery

The game itself will not feature robbery per se, but the design will certainly "borrow" themes and mechanics liberally from the many fine train games out there now.

I'm very interested in getting feedback of all kinds, and if all goes well will be in the market for play-testers at some point. I'll read and respond to comments on the blog posts or on this thread, so if you'd be interested then please have a look. There are two posts up so far, and my plan is for regular updates on Mondays and Fridays until either the design is complete or I run out of material to talk about. Thanks for your help and attention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
New post up! featuring the 32 cent John Henry stamp.

(Is it OK for me to advertise like this in the forum? I do think some readers might enjoy the blog.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lightship wrote:
New post up! featuring the 32 cent John Henry stamp.

(Is it OK for me to advertise like this in the forum? I do think some readers might enjoy the blog.)

Fine by me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jack Neal -- Thanks for your support! If you're a train game fan then I'd be interested to hear your design opinions on the blog, especially on the third post about track building mechanics.

Also: what game is shown in your avatar picture? I don't recognize it but it looks interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Survive! - It's a fun little game that's been out forever.

I will definitely check out the blog as I have worked on train game designs in the past as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
New post up! "Merchants and Pirates" shows the first detailed description of the proposed supply-demand mechanics, including more pre-pre-prototype conceptual artwork. Tune in and take a bite....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since this seems to be an acceptable form of advertising, I'll mention that Friday's new post is up. This one is more philosophical, and even quotes from famous literature! asking the players if they want to act simply as "common carriers".

After the weekend we go back to the nitty-gritties and maybe some new artwork; happy reading, philosophically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
After the last post's philosophical metaphor-mongering didn't seem to excite anyone, we return to design details with Monday's new post Technology on the March! Direct link here, enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Artwork, artwork, artwork! If you were looking for pretty pictures of trains, then the latest post A fistful of locomotives is for you. Browse and enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.