BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: gift suggestion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Princess Dollhead
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Ok. So...I'm not at all a gamer. (yet) My husband, however, is quite the enthusiast, so I'm interested in trying to play something with him. I'd like to see about getting a game from his wishlist. I've looked at his wishlist on here, but I'm not sure which game would be the best for both of us to play. I have a pretty short attention span,(attention deficit....oooh! SHINY!)so I'd prefer a game with relatively simple instructions and quick playing time. Any suggestions?

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/dangerouslycheesy?w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't many short, light, 2p games on his list. The one that stuck out to me was Morels. You can order it directly from the publisher's website:

http://twolanternsgames.com/morels.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Fleet, but I've heard very good things about it (& it's on my wishlist too). It can be played with two players and it's got a play time of about 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would probably enjoy For Sale or Takenoko. I'm not sure, however, if either of those games are good for just 2 people playing. May need some friends to come over.

Edit - Just looked at his Owned list. Maybe you should consider getting him something from his Wishlist but not have it be for just you two. He has several awesome 2 player games which you may enjoy:

Android: Netrunner
Carcassonne
Dominion
Forbidden Island
Pandemic
Race for the Galaxy
San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From his list, only Morels stuck out to me as being light and good for 2 players. Something you might also want to consider is
Love Letter, something that is so new that it won't be released until early Dec. You can order it here: www.coolstuffinc.com . Tons of fun, and quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're a good wife and he's a lucky man to have someone like you.

+1 to Morels.

If you really want to give him a gift, though, give him your time. If you don't already, play games with him he already owns.

I recommend: Dominion, Fresco, or San Juan. If you really want to blow his mind, ask him to sit and play Agricola with you. It's not a light game but somehow this game has transcended barriers in ridiculous manners. There are a ton of non-gaming wives who like this game because at the end of the game, your board looks like a little farm (which you built).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe watch a video review of Village and see what you think of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
You would probably enjoy For Sale or Takenoko. I'm not sure, however, if either of those games are good for just 2 people playing. May need some friends to come over.

For Sale works 'okay' as a 2 player game, but you'd have to look up a variant as it's not in the official rules. It turns it into much more of a card-counting/bluffing game though. It's certainly much better with 3 or more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snidebeck wrote:
Ok. So...I'm not at all a gamer. (yet) My husband, however, is quite the enthusiast, so I'm interested in trying to play something with him. I'd like to see about getting a game from his wishlist. I've looked at his wishlist on here, but I'm not sure which game would be the best for both of us to play. I have a pretty short attention span,(attention deficit....oooh! SHINY!)so I'd prefer a game with relatively simple instructions and quick playing time. Any suggestions?

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/dangerouslycheesy?w...

BattleCON: War of Indines

It is on his list, plays in 15 minutes, and has a huge selection of characters to play from so once you get one game done you move onto the next new shiney character. Tons of replay value with the mixing of characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.