Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Giles
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been batting around a game design idea for some time now, which takes place in a cyberpunk settings. Player have two pieces they control, but they only move one at a time: their "Meatspace" Character, which wanders around a city map, and their online Avatar. A Character can visit certain locations and "plug in," (like in The Matrix) which allows them to control their Avatar.

As a way of forcing players to play on both boards, instead of focusing on one or the other, I was thinking about a "fatigue" mechanic. Being Plugged In all the time is hard on the body. Characters can only be Plugged In for so long, represented by a Fatigue track. Each turn that a player is Plugged In, he receives a Fatigue token, which must be "Rested" off. Players slowly Rest just by not being plugged in, but can Rest much faster if they sleep.

Sometimes, though, you NEED a few more turns in Cyberspace. This is what Coffee is for. A player can buy Coffee to replace a Fatigue marker with a Coffee marker, which can subsequently be covered with another Fatigue marker.

Example: Fred needs to put out a fire in Cyberspace, but has just run out of fatigue. His Character is plugged in at a coffeeshop, so he is able to order a shot of espresso online, to be delivered directly to his body. This allows him to remove a fatigue marker, giving him another turn online.

The problem is, Coffee cannot be Coffee'd away, and a Fatigue on a Coffee marker cannot be removed through just unplugging. Both markers must be slept off, for the same amount of time that it would take to sleep off two regular fatigue markers.

Thus, Coffee buys you extra turns, but you still must sleep them off at an arguably steeper price.

I feel this might be simpler than I'm making it sound, but that's the basic idea. Does this sound decent? Or is it just too complex/fiddly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hawkins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems straightforward enough. Coffee basically lets you buy back spent energy (get rid of fatigue), but ups the cost for recovery after the fact.

The real question is, does the game have moments where you would be willing to pay the steeper price to "do it now"? If the game isn't built right, it'll never be a worthwhile trade. Seems you plan on that, or you wouldn't say that sometimes "you NEED a few more turns". Just saying, make sure that need is directly built into the game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so just to clarify there are pretty much two energy tracks "cyber energy" and normal everyday run of the mill energy

so the energy are essentially action points i think you can make it a whole lot easier if you instead have a sleepyness track and a action point track

so coffee would be something like +1 sleepynss +2 AP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the idea, David!

I am curious, however, as to what the players do in "meatspace", and how do you account for the energy spent there. I think I might be asking the same question that MJ Munio has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.