Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

This report will be much less thorough as I quit taking notes because of the competitive nature of the game. I NEEDED my mind free as I clearly cannot multi-task. Just ask my wife, she will tell you.

So, this was game 4 for my buddy, all with the Priestess. He has seen the power of the Hand of Bim Shalla (HBS) and this time he decided to finally go for the Temple of Light (ToL). In my opinion, this is the best way to play this particular deck and he went with that advice.

I decided to play my trusty Warlock which focus' on direct damage and attack spells but can beat down with the best of them.

Round 1: I have initiative and I go with my trusty Battleforge, nearer the center, and then the Darkfenne Bat. That bat I made a bloodreaper, and he was the only BR I made. He when Temple of Asyra and a Cleric of Asyra, getting his war machine rolling.

Round 2: I went Cheetah Speed, which I think is a critical card for Warlock. HE NEEDS mobility, and I laid a hellfire trap. He with a mage wand and battle fury and cast a HBS. I deployed the ring of curses as well. My bat moves into position to start attacking.

Round 3: I drop my first Ghoul Rot on his priestess. My bat attacks the HBS, but is attacked by a previously praying cleric. I move my Warlock and try to get into position to strike and cast curses. He casts Temple of Light which zaps me after the cleric attacks, and here begins my regular litany of stun/incapacitation. He also calls in a second Cleric of Asyra.

Round 4: He casts another HBS and moves his cleric of Asyra and hits my warlock for 4 dice with a HBShalla'd Cleric. I deploy the Lash of Hellfire and I quick cast force push/pull her onto my hellfire trap and then I hit her with the lash. His priestess with her staff had moved to the HBS to protect it, but I pulled her to me. No burn on any of that, and minimal damage. it is about here I quit writing notes.

Round 5: I deploy the Molochs Torment and on first quickcast, place a jinx on the Priestess. He kills my bat, zaps me with the ToL, and then pounds me again with that dang Hand of Bim Shalla'd Cleric. Things aren't looking good for me. I did get a rot out there with the bat, but the priestess removed that condition.

Mid Game then: by now Ghoul Rot has done like 10 damage, and with Moloch's torment out, that is going to get worse. His critical mistake is ignoring the Ghoul Rot which does massive damage over the course of the game. I exploded his wand before he got to use it, killing the card/wand and doing good damage, with burn. He removed the burn condition though.

About round 6 he gets the Valshalla Angel out and things are REALLY looking bad. The angel goes into my second hellfire trap, and I roll GREAT damage. He burns a turn too, and the priestess and cleric heal the angel. Those action of tryign to save the Angel may have saved me as jsut a bit more damage would have done me in.

With that freaking Temple of Light, I am getting zapped and incapacitated over and over, forcing me to plan cards I don't really want to beacause I am worried about losing my action.

In the mean time I get a Regrowth Belt going, as well as Deathlock on his Priestess. So, there are a couple of turns where I heal 4 damage and his Priestess takes 5.

He eventually purges the magic on his Priestess. FINALLY! But the Ghoul Rot damage is done to A HUGE MAGNITUDE. It must have been like 20 total damage, plus the torment. He cast a couple of minor heals in there, but he should have dispelled the ghoul rot instead.

So, by the end game we are both hovering near 28 damage give or take.

I got a turn of healing in, so I was about 24, and then I dropped a deathlock, which sealed the deal for me. He was most displeased about that conjuration.

The critical moment was when he had me surrounded and I would have been dead with his multiple creature actions. I was about to suffer beatdown city. So that turn I grabbed a teleport and moved to the opposite side of the board. That saved my arse totally as he couldn't attack me then. I didn't even get ToL'd that turn as I moved a square away too.

I was able to use teh Cheetah Speed on the last turn to move back into range and then blast him with a fireball. The end.

So, it is a bit convoluted, but the heart of this one was Ghoul Rot. It worked the priestess slowly and she died a death by a 1,000 rots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C Connor Jr
United States
Jamestown
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Another fantastic account! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Moral of the story is to get rid of Ghoul Rot at all cost, all of the time. That is on the list of best curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kozlowski
United States
Schererville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Ignoring Ghoul Rot is a mistake. It seems like it's not doing that much and that there are more important things to do, but it adds up like nobodies business. Cannot be ignored.

Two side notes:

1. I think now he sees how good Temple of Light is.
2. You can't make a Bat a Bloodreaper since it is not a demon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YOWZA. Damn right about he freaking bat. I was asking my self why I left the other 5 cost demon in there. Oy.

Temple of Light rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghbell wrote:

Round 1: I have initiative and I go with my trusty Battleforge, nearer the center, and then the Darkfenne Bat. That bat I made a bloodreaper, and he was the only BR I made.

The bat is not a demon so the Warlock can't make it his Blood Reaper.

But I doubt that this oversight had a great impact on the result. Seems like you outplayed the priestess - she should have gotten rid of those curses pronto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
camustafa wrote:
ghbell wrote:

Round 1: I have initiative and I go with my trusty Battleforge, nearer the center, and then the Darkfenne Bat. That bat I made a bloodreaper, and he was the only BR I made.

The bat is not a demon so the Warlock can't make it his Blood Reaper.

But I doubt that this oversight had a great impact on the result. Seems like you outplayed the priestess - she should have gotten rid of those curses pronto!

yup. Ghoul rot must go pronto. The bat had nearly no outcome on the game. Blood Reaper is ok, but basically it is weak. Pet is way better.

BR is best used mid game when you have taken damage so you can get a round of healing out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.