Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned and played the game yesterday and really enjoyed it. I was surprised, since Dominion felt flat as a pancake.

I immediately acquired the game for myself and discovered the "final showdown" rule. It sounds very interesting, since it gives some value to recruit points at the end of the game. It also allows other players at the table a chance to grab some points at the end after the person who triggered the end blows their load finishing off the master mind.

I could see myself playing with this rule in every session. Anyone else feeling the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devin Low just smiled...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was thinking of using it every game as well, assuming the player who triggered the end just got a slug of points, though I realize that won't always be the case.

But I have one question: should the final showdown always require everyone to start with exactly six cards? I assume not. Meaning, if you defeated Doc Ock before, you'll have 8, or players may have had to discard 1 card during another player's earlier turn... or maybe even discard because of a hero's ability during their final showdown turn.

So in some situations, players can be at an advantage or disadvantage. (Unless I hear otherwise from the designer, I'll assume the intent is not to always be guaranteed 6 cards.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeremy,

Yup, you're correct - in the Final Showdown, people play the hand of cards they were already holding, which is usually 6 cards, but could be 8 or 5 or something else for the reasons you mention.

-Devin Low meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally plan on using it in every game

I just picked it up today and I'm about to set up my first game now! So excited!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Apfel
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried the Final Showdown our very first game, and it felt like a natural progression to the game. So we've used it in every game we've played to this point. We even had a Super Showdown once, which was pretty exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Shirey
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use it as well in our local gaming group.We really like the game, probably have played 12 or 13 games since Thansgiving.All of our games have used the Final showdown and it feels right and hase turned the tide of victory points in at least 3 or 4 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice today without it, and once with it in a five-player game. The outcome wouldn't have changed in the game we used it, since the person who acquired the final mastermind card was the winner by more than five points.

I am wavering on my stance that it should always be used. The game does feel like it has an abrupt ending when I don't use it, but that may simply be due to using it so often. It gives everyone something to do with their final hand of cards, but I am not sure it affects the outcome more often than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.