Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Shame on You, Peter Jackson & Company, for Animal Cruelty and Deaths rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meganekko Matsura
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an article about this sad state of affairs.

Jackson and Company should be ashamed of themselves. No movie, no matter how long-awaited or celebrated, is worth the suffering of living creatures.

I'm boycotting--I will not put money in the pockets of the people responsible for this cruelty.

Hooray for the ASPCA!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/hobbit-animal-death...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why "shame on Peter Jackson"? The article states that as soon as the production company was made aware of the deaths, they "moved quickly to improve conditions." So if you hired a dogsitter, found out they were mistreating your dog, then you fire them and get somebody new, it's your fault?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to RSP

Peta have also reported on it using the above emotive banner.

I blame both the production company and the wranglers. I think Jackson and friends' fight with the unions created a culture where speaking truth to power and requesting additional expenses was not possible. One the of the wrangles still is refusing to go on record as she fears it will hurt her future industry projects, it is this fear of powerful directors, producers and Hollywood that I would blame. Clearly they farmed out the animal welfare to a third-party company who were too afraid of their employer to do the right thing - Everyone failed in a journey that took in greed, inequality and cruelty.

I was already boycotting the film having sat through the LoR films waiting for any characterisation or meaningful character ark. Love the books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meganekko Matsura
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Why "shame on Peter Jackson"? The article states that as soon as the production company was made aware of the deaths, they "moved quickly to improve conditions." So if you hired a dogsitter, found out they were mistreating your dog, then you fire them and get somebody new, it's your fault?

Well, let's say that a high profile movie director is like the captain of a ship. The captain is responsible for the actions of their crew. I understand chain of command, which is why I said,'Jackson and Company.' They failed to exercise their responsibilities as animal guardians.

Suffering happened. Animals died. This is not a victimless situation. The people who profited from the work, the service, given to them by the animals did not protect them or provide for their well being. Those individuals are responsible for the suffering and the deaths. It would seem that you are trying to say that the director and executive producer--the captain of the Good Ship Hobbit Movie--isn't responsible for the actions, or lack of action, of their crew. If not the captain, then who is responsiblie?

And yes, BTW, as a responsible animal guardian it is my responsibility--my moral obligation and my legal obligation, to ensure that anyone, caretaker, family member, neighbor--is safe to be with my animal compansions and will care for them and ensure their safety and well being--especially if I designate them as my my proxies.

You're familiar with the part of the social contract called 'due diligence?' Let's say that you are a parent. Do you not have the duty to protect your child? Who, if not you, would be responsible for hiring a careless or abusive babysitter? For leaving the child in their care, no matter how quickly you attempted to rectify the sitauation? People must take responsibility. It's what being an adult is about.

Thanks to our generous colleague for posting the PETA article. Huzza, PETA!

Last word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Shame on Peter Jackson because Horses are cute and people need to feel superior.

There are people being bombed into kibble in Gaza, but won't someone PLEASE think of the HORSES?

Hyperbole aside, it's a case of 'We need to know more to make an informed opinion.' Well, not everyone needs to know more, they're quite fine with uninformed opinions based on a single article and some selective reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ayumi Hakase
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Shame on Peter Jackson because Horses are cute and people need to feel superior.

There are people being bombed into kibble in Gaza, but won't someone PLEASE think of the HORSES?

Hyperbole aside, it's a case of 'We need to know more to make an informed opinion.' Well, not everyone needs to know more, they're quite fine with uninformed opinions based on a single article and some selective reading.

This thread was obviously posted by someone who cares about something and discusses it in a considered and mature way. Snarky comments, attempts at trivialization, and personal out-downs like the response above add nothing helpful to the discussion. To his credit, Meganekko pointed out suffering.

All suffering is evil, and all suffering should be opposed, whether it is the terrible suffering of the people of the Mideast or the suffering of animals in New Zealand. We should be courteous to one another here on these boards. Because God doesn't like ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
Because God doesn't like ugly.
If He doesn't like ugly, then why did He make so much of it?

And this forum is exactly the right place for snarky comments, attempts at trivialization, and personal put-downs. If you want serious discussion, head on over to RSP.

Edit: Aaaaaaaaand the thread has moved there. Ah well. Time for me to head on home I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I've loathed PETA ever since they toured the nation with their propaganda display arguing that eating animals was akin to the Final Solution.

Being cruel to animals is bad thing, sure. But as its been already pointed out, it was a contractor responsible for this, not Jackson and or his production company. It wasn't as if Jackson had ordered that the horses be killed for a stunt, as was done in Bond remake "Never Say Never Again".

PETA is making a big stink about this in order to raise publicity and attention. Mountains, molehills, tempests and teapots come to mind.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Edit: Aaaaaaaaand the thread has moved there. Ah well. Time for me to head on home I guess.

This is the hotel California. You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
wmshub wrote:

Should we stop all charity work for animals while people are being bombed to kibble?

Should we have the freedom to direct our charity resources to the charity of our choice?

Should you have the freedom to champion doing more charity work for people in Gaza?

I'd answer these no, yes, yes.

I can't hold Peter Jackson responsible entirely because once your organization gets large enough, you just can't predict what crazy shit people will do, how they will fail, and you just can't know everything.

Once Jackson was aware of the situation, then he would be responsible and negligent if he didn't address it and I would hold him responsible.

Bonus points if Jackson put in place processes to protect animals that cover every movie going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've eaten all of those animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
Because God doesn't like ugly.
If He doesn't like ugly, then why did He make so much of it?

And this forum is exactly the right place for snarky comments, attempts at trivialization, and personal put-downs. If you want serious discussion, head on over to RSP.

Serious Discussion? Have you *been* to RSP?

As to my snark. I was being a bit scathing toward an immature overly emotive response to a situation. Those reaction are polarizing and unhelpful, I was being demonstrative and if it didn't come across to clearly, sorry about that.

You'll see the last line where I sum it up cleanly. More info before flying off the handle. From what I glean two horses died due to improper conditions, and money and time were invested to fix the problem. Who exactly muffed up the care taking is not something one article will bring to light(or has any interest in bringing to light most of the time) I don't buy the 'Captain of the ship' line in the least. It's not possible to be accountable for something you don't know is a problem, unless someone is claiming that Jackson, malicious bastard that he is, told people 'find the nastiest hole you can stick these animals in, and oh! film when each one dies. I need some wanking material for later.' It appears there was a problem, and when it got to the top, they devote energy to fix it, that is 'taking responsibility' the right way. A flogging is not required.

To throw some hyperbole back into it, why doesn't he install cameras in the cars of everyone working on the movie and personally view the tapes to be sure they don't run any red lights? They could kill someone that way!

Now I'm going to go get Chinese, because cats are tasty,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to see a movie where it says something like

"1 animal was harmed in the making of this movie". You never see crap like that.

anyways, I hope your boycott works! I'm probably going to boycott cause I heard it's going to be three goddamned movies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

Nothing like holier than thou chit chatters. I could describe their relationsip with furries, but the post would not pass the moderation guidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Um, let's not lose perspective here...

Animals that accidentally died during filming of one Hobbit movie:
27 (or fewer)

Turkeys intentionally killed to be eaten this Thanksgiving in America:
27 million

Total animals killed every day in the world for human consumption:
500 million

(OK these numbers are my guesstimates, based on 300M meat-loving Americans and 7B total humans on the planet. But you get my point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Meganekko wrote:
Here's an article about this sad state of affairs.

Jackson and Company should be ashamed of themselves. No movie, no matter how long-awaited or celebrated, is worth the suffering of living creatures.

I'm boycotting--I will not put money in the pockets of the people responsible for this cruelty.

Hooray for the ASPCA!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/hobbit-animal-death...

I completely disagree. Animal suffering which I am willing to tolerate for specific movies:
Star Wars A New Hope - 183 Sheep and untold thousands of womprats
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - 43 Sheep, 14 Cattle and 3 Bugblatter beasts
Aliens - 200 Sheep, 53 Cattle and 17 Canaries
The Hobbit - 216 Sheep, 83 Cattle and 784 Wargs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
PETA is making a big stink about this in order to raise publicity and attention. Mountains, molehills, tempests and teapots come to mind.

This.

PETA has a history of generally conducting publicity stunts and publishing efforts that are supposed to outrage the public, while generally obfuscating facts. Animal welfare vs. animal rights. There's a difference. The outrage over the lack of welfare is understandable. PETA is just about exploiting situations to push its animal rights agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sad animals are dead essentially due to negligence/accident. I don't see myself boycotting the movie over this - I think it would be a tad bit hypocritical of me to do that considering how many animals or parts of animals I intentionally eat every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ayumi_Hakase wrote:
All suffering is evil

I heartily disagree.

When I broke my face and the doctors reconstructed my face for six hours while I was conscious was evil?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Um, let's not lose perspective here...

Animals that accidentally died during filming of one Hobbit movie:
27 (or fewer)

Turkeys intentionally killed to be eaten this Thanksgiving in America:
27 million

Total animals killed every day in the world for human consumption:
500 million

(OK these numbers are my guesstimates, based on 300M meat-loving Americans and 7B total humans on the planet. But you get my point.)

Sounds like as long as those damn dwarves ate the horses, we can't complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

And some of those hobbits, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter106 wrote:
sisteray wrote:

And some of those hobbits, too?

If hobbit was served with a hoisin sauce, I'd consider it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
I've loathed PETA ever since they toured the nation with their propaganda display arguing that eating animals was akin to the Final Solution.

I like PETA for exactly the same reasons. There are so many morons who do not care at all about animal suffering that we absolutely need morons who are crusading for the other side of the coin. I even think we need more of the second category.

That being said.... seriously how many animals did suffer because of that film, and how the figure compares to what happens daily in the farms of complety uncaring people????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Now I'm going to go get Chinese, because cats are tasty,

We don't eat cats. Maybe pandas, but only the uncute ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
Darilian wrote:

I like PETA for exactly the same reasons. There are so many morons who do not care at all about animal suffering that we absolutely need morons who are crusading for the other side of the coin. I even think we need more of the second category.

That being said.... seriously how many animals did suffer because of that film, and how the figure compares to what happens daily in the farms of complety uncaring people????

PETA is an animal RIGHTS organization, not an animal welfare organization. It's very important to understand the distinction because it impacts their motivation and actions. PETA's goal is to end all animal use...which means an end to many food products (eggs, milk, meat, etc), all animal products (goodbye leather, wool, etc), no pets (seriously), significant volumes of beneficial animal research, etc. They aren't really after improving the welfare of animals in industry - they're after ending all use of animals.

It would be worth taking the effort to actually look to the farm side of animals, instead of just reading PETA's take on it. Most farmers do care about their animals and are far more interested in welfare than propaganda would have you believe. The animals are their business - and it's in their interest to care about the animals (that was the point of individual farmers in movies like Food, Inc). Some of the things PETA would have you believe about the "evils" of farms and farmers is just misinformation and deliberate obfuscation to address their own agenda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.