Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games since the days of Avalon Hill have been packaging decks of cards in shrink wrap. This protects the cards from external damage, but frequently causes damage itself due to the plastic rubbing on the corners and edges of the deck. Also, cards can be bent or damaged when removing the shrink wrap. I have old Avalon Hill games that had cards marked right out of the box. Anyone familiar with current Chinese-made card games knows that the cards are often damaged right out of the shrink, usually due to the shrink wrap itself.

When opening Legendary, I was surprised to see the publisher had used an alternative method of wrapping the cards. They are wrapped by two straps of thin plastic in a cross formation. This keeps the cards tightly packed. At first, I thought this would greatly increase the chance of damage to the cards, since the majority of the deck surface area is exposed. However, the publisher planned for this, and wrapped the bundle of card decks in foam!

The plastic straps easily slide off the decks, presenting you with pristine, undamaged cards. I give my sincere applause to whomever thought of this and actually had the ambition to follow through on the production level. I don't know if this is standard procedure for Upper Deck, but I hope the tradition continues in the future, both with them and other publishers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, so glad you noticed the little things. We are gamers over here at UD , because of this we know some of the things that we don't like to see when we open a new game.

We really took the packaging seriously and wanted to provide a box that kept the cards safe as well as provide enough room for sleeved cards, all while providing room for future sets.

This thread is going to be passed around internally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
.........and wanted to provide a box that kept the cards safe as well as provide enough room for sleeved cards, all while providing room for future sets.

thumbsup , especially for thinking about sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my cards were damaged on the sides. I opened the box and had no idea what the foam was even for as it was just lying there not protecting anything. Until I read you post I thought the small piece of foam was for taking up excess storage space.

I was going to sleeve the cards anyway, but because of the damage to some of the cards I had to sleeve them otherwise you could tell them apart in your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
thumbsup , especially for thinking about sleeves.

I strongly agree. The first thing I did after playing a friend's copy of the game, was check the insert to see if sleeves would fit. The concern is with the height of the sleeve. If the card well is sized to fit just the cards, the tops and edges of the sleeves must be bent to fit, if they fit at all. I was very impressed to see that this insert has a very generous amount of space for even the longest of standard card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Calabig
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
I very much appreciate how the game was packed, especially the insert and how it accommodates sleeved cards! This is the first deck building game I've sleeved entirely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:
Wow, so glad you noticed the little things. We are gamers over here at UD , because of this we know some of the things that we don't like to see when we open a new game.

We really took the packaging seriously and wanted to provide a box that kept the cards safe as well as provide enough room for sleeved cards, all while providing room for future sets.

You are a hero.

Now please tell FFG how to package a fucking box shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
how did you organize the box, plenty of room for expansions, but how did you organize base cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did separate heroes in one section.
I created 5 starter decks and divided them in one section.

Bystanders, wounds, shield operative in another section (each separated by divider).

I put all masterminds with their 4 cards of each together in a mastermind group with master strike added to the end of the group. Schemes and scheme twists together. Then divided all the villains group and henchman groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Games since the days of Avalon Hill have been packaging decks of cards in shrink wrap. This protects the cards from external damage, but frequently causes damage itself due to the plastic rubbing on the corners and edges of the deck. Also, cards can be bent or damaged when removing the shrink wrap. I have old Avalon Hill games that had cards marked right out of the box. Anyone familiar with current Chinese-made card games knows that the cards are often damaged right out of the shrink, usually due to the shrink wrap itself.

When opening Legendary, I was surprised to see the publisher had used an alternative method of wrapping the cards. They are wrapped by two straps of thin plastic in a cross formation. This keeps the cards tightly packed. At first, I thought this would greatly increase the chance of damage to the cards, since the majority of the deck surface area is exposed. However, the publisher planned for this, and wrapped the bundle of card decks in foam!

The plastic straps easily slide off the decks, presenting you with pristine, undamaged cards. I give my sincere applause to whomever thought of this and actually had the ambition to follow through on the production level. I don't know if this is standard procedure for Upper Deck, but I hope the tradition continues in the future, both with them and other publishers.

I thought the strips were an excellent idea, and I DEFINITELY noticed and appreciated the ability to sleeve cards and store them in the original box.I still don't know why game producers simply don't 'get it' in regards to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau No last name
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

Hey man, gamers *notice* these things. Good job.

I also noticed that I had to sort through 500 cards because they were all separated, ie. there were 2 Captain America's in one deck, 2 in another deck, 2 in a third deck....just curious but is there some reason all the cards couldn't have been with their counterparts? (minor quibble I know, considering all the other games that have chits to clip and figures to build/put on bases)

- Raider30

ps: Game is great! Box is great! Board is AMAZING! Well done.

pps: Being a comic fan(check my avatar!) I just want to say I love the game. Nicely done, can't wait for the expansion::cough::check my avatar!:: Hopefully, there will be another great team in the expansion::cough::check my avatar!::cough::.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raider30 wrote:

I also noticed that I had to sort through 500 cards because they were all separated, ie. there were 2 Captain America's in one deck, 2 in another deck, 2 in a third deck....just curious but is there some reason all the cards couldn't have been with their counterparts?

I believe this is due to how the source files are created. It is easier for the producer to take the same file and swap in a few cards to create the proper distribution rather than create several completely unique files.

It also allows the printer to use multiple, identical decks to get the proper card count. This eliminates some waste on the production line due to damaged, misprints, etc.

Basically, printing more of the same deck costs less than printing several unique decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hertzberger
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
Some of my cards were damaged on the sides. I opened the box and had no idea what the foam was even for as it was just lying there not protecting anything. Until I read you post I thought the small piece of foam was for taking up excess storage space.

I was going to sleeve the cards anyway, but because of the damage to some of the cards I had to sleeve them otherwise you could tell them apart in your deck.

Same here. Now I have a bunch of Black Widow cards with mangled corners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenzor wrote:

I hope it doesn't give you any gastrointestinal problems . . gulpwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Schultz

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I have to second and third the comments about having some of the cards come damaged and looking worn along the back and sides. To be honest, I was really disappointed in the craftsmanship. My game board came all scuffed up out of the box as well, along the back of it and the creases where the board folds was already ripping.

I'll post pictures later. I have to say, love the game...but to open it and find this many production errors is shoddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
PittGatorJD wrote:
I have to second and third the comments about having some of the cards come damaged and looking worn along the back and sides. To be honest, I was really disappointed in the craftsmanship. My game board came all scuffed up out of the box as well, along the back of it and the creases where the board folds was already ripping.

I'll post pictures later. I have to say, love the game...but to open it and find this many production errors is shoddy.

contact Upper deck, beause it seems like your issue is an isolated incident
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked my cards and I have one single wound card that has minor damage in the corner. I'm sure the other 29 wounds will suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it was the method of wrapping the cards but all the cards in my set are warped pretty badly. The board has a noticable dent as well.

Love the game, but in terms of product quality, I've seen much better... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy was perfect. I actually showed the box to my Wife and Son, all of us very impressed with the layout, and the plans for future expansion space. Overall, I was very impressed.

BTW... as a long time VS player, I know the difficulties with acquiring card art from the comics publishers. But I hope in the future maybe we see new agreements to get a bit more variety on the cards. the art on them is great, and actually when sorting your decks back out, having the same pics is kinda nice. But more comic art is always better than less!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to see all the damage folks are talking about with their new games. My copy too has a small dent in the fold of one of the boards, but it's MAYBE a 1/4 inch dent. In addition, the top of one of my packaged cards had very minor wear from the packaging, but hardly anything to demand replacements and deem the game unplayable. I'd be curious to see pics so we can compare damage. I'll get some up later today and post mine, which I feel does not warrant any sort of replacements. It's a game made of paper after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing wrong with my copy was 4 cards were "marked": one wound card had a bent corner, and 3 other cards had a small pink blotch on the backside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy
United States
laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sad to say this was THE worst packaging I've ever received. I was so psyched when i received box thursday since i was expecting it saturday. And what do I get when I open it? disappointment. The board has a dent in it, alot of the cards has marks on art, and alot of the cards had dents around edges because even though they have foam there is nothing to protect corners. I only kept it because I was so excited to play and I had already pre-printed divider labels. I don't really understand order of the cards either since it seemed to be shuffled instead of in order but w/e I'm sure there was a reason. I honestly feel like i got ripped off because I feel like I paid for a used game with an already steep price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy was fine, and I live across the Pacific Ocean from the US....

I'm glad my copy made it's saving throw for Handling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy
United States
laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I purchased mine from amazon, maybe other people who received damaged purchased there as well? Fortunately amazon being the company that it is that cares about keeping customers happy offered a 50% refund. That at least helps a bit. I'll just get used to having my newest board game looks the oldest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy
United States
laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Black widow was the most obvious since for some reason she is the top card of each stack. BTW if anyone can answer why it is "organized" in such a way plz let me know; just curious. Now most of the other cards have white scuffs around edges again because it is only taped up when packaged. Its nice that you thought about box to hold cards sleeved and left room for expansion but whats the point of sleeving cards to protect them if they come damaged??? Please dont package expansion cards with tape because it will easily get scuffed up. I don't see how a 4 day delivery can do this when I've ordered multiple boxes from Hawaii that took like a month and arrived fine. I hope you fix this problem since I am not the only one obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.