Popular Tags: [View All]
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse uses tile stacks and draw bags for random allocation of elements. This is all well and good with production items, but how about for those of us who would like to try adding some different custom techs or systems? It will be obvious when a homemade system tile is on top of a deck, and the feel of a tile in a draw bag will undoubtedly be different from the production tiles.

My one thought is to produce a deck of cards. Instead of drawing from a bag (techs, rep) or tile stack (systems), you would draw from the deck of cards. You would then take the item corresponding to the card from the box.

For systems, they already have a numbering system, so this would be very easy to create a deck of cards, including numbers for as-of-yet not produced items, as well as assigning unused numbers to custom systems.

The biggest problem I see with the system is how slow it could be. Any other suggestions?

How about for discoveries? Just use a generic chip to indicate a discovery, then draw a card to indicate which discovery to pull?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, that is a good solution for playtesting but you're right it is too slow for casual play. I can't really think of a better system, though, short of producing your own high quality components...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can create your own tiles to draw. You then just have to re-create the standard tiles as well, copies that look and feel the same as your new tiles.

A more cumbersome way would be to add a number of blank tiles to the bag with new tiles. Next to that, keep your bag with old tiles. Draw your tiles from the new bag. When you draw a blank tile, draw a tile from the old bag and use that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Richtfort
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably too late to be of any real help... but a thought on mixing "production" and "prototype" components...

Just leave them as two separate draw piles, and use a die-roll to determine which pile (or bag) to draw from. Split your rolls in proportion to the tile counts. (If 1/3 of the tiles are homemade, 1-2 draw from them, 3-6 from the production stack.) If the numbers don't work out so nicely, maybe you'll want to use different dice (d12, percentile, etc.) for a better match.

Yes, as the game goes on, skewed rolls could get your numbers out of whack, but it would be consistent and probably good enough for play testing or home rules.

Easier than duplicating the main game components...and faster than looking for the tile that corresponds to a drawn card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Chuck, thanks for your comment.

I bought a second copy of the game. I have a LOT of custom content and it was totally worth it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.