Subject: Winning by stalling, then running rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got a chance to play this, against another beginner. After many games of Napoleon's Triumph, it takes some effort to "unlearn" those very similar rules and figure out how this works. I worked to check the Austrian advance at the forward stream (per advice from a strategy article on the Simmons Games website), without overcommitting ahead of a planned fallback. There was some skirmishing on my far left flank, outside of Marengo, including deployment of his artillery. I took some losses but it felt like encouraging Austria to move sideways, rather than toward the stars.

My opponent assembled a large army in the center and quickly pressed on both flanks with harassing cavalry. As the French fell back, heading for the main roads with their free movement, it felt that my center was utterly exposed. But the command structure is such that Austria was unable to quickly move the large army up in the center. I sacrificed a few morale points to slow the advance.

In the end, the various delaying tactics combined with the road move rules slowed Austria's push so that the French reinforcements could arrive and dig in around the star locales. My opponent took a red star, but I was able to bring on the cavalry reinforcement at 5pm and escape with it to shore up a green star. When a strong maneuver attack out of a green star area attack forced an Austrian withdrawal at 7pm, we both realized that the sun was going to go down with Austria just shy of victory.

We made some rules mistakes, and had a good time. Definitely a game I would play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That defense was dubbed the 'French Fade' and it works very well. Even more so against a new Austrian player.
It is very tricky to beat when done well, but not impossible.
Glad you enjoyed the game. I'm not sure I could play now after playing NT, so I applaud you for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always called that the "French Skedaddle", Scipio. If you're looking for ideas on how to attack it, I've posted some session reports here on BGG. I also played the Austrians against a running Frenchman in the Sample Game on the Simmons Games website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.