Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
What games did you try for the first time at the con that you now want to buy? What did you buy at the con from the exhibitors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darnit, yes I see that I put .COM instead of .CON. I don't know how to fix it. :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I bought the core book for Mystic Empyrean after being completely sold on the system by the designer. The game looks like it will be good for play-by-email groups so I am going to try to run it with some friends across the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Simpson

Richardson
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up "Kill the Overlord" immediately after playing through the demo of it.

I also picked up the Wizard's Tower expansion for "Castle Panic" after playing that to earn my vendor-bingo sticker, and finding out that a board-games group near me has the base game but not that expansion.

I also bought SPANC (Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls), but I had already played it long before the con, and was just adding it to my own collection.

Tzolk'in and Escape are on my want list. There are a few others on it too, but said board-games group is already making plans to buy them, so hurray, I don't have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
I bought the core book for Mystic Empyrean after being completely sold on the system by the designer. The game looks like it will be good for play-by-email groups so I am going to try to run it with some friends across the country.

Please tell me what you think of it, I was debating that one, I have a lot of family/friends who are not RPGers, and I think the core concept of that game sounds like a great way to introduce them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I tried that I want to buy

- Netrunner

- Among the Stars

- Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Bought 2 versions of Timeline for family from the exhibitors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a big cult of the new person. There are still many old games I have not tried.

The following are all in order of most to least liked.

That said, my favorite new to me, which I will be purchasing, games of the con were:

Tammany Hall Blind bidding where everyone loses their bids and in ties all bids are lost and no one gets anything. This games hates you! And I love it for that. Quick, easy and brutal. Sadly, I did not kick start the re-print. Will have to wait until it comes out. Cannot wait.

Peloponnes Eight quick auction rounds form this quick civ builder where the theme actually comes through for me. Instant buy.

Chicken Caesar Great negotiating game with a fantastic theme. I just dumped my copy of Cosmic. This will have to replace it.

Games I liked but do not feel a need to acquire, again in order, are:

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar I played this thee times. The first game we were a little over half way done when they closed the library at 1 AM. We played again the next night, but with our own copy checked out from the library. Liked it the first time, but did not enjoy the second. This game can really bog down the AP prone. Had to try it a 3rd time to see whether I liked it or not. Enjoyed my first and third plays, just not enough to pick it up. It bears noting that all 3 of my plays of this were coincidentally played after midnight.

King of Tokyo Light yahtzee variant with a fun theme. I may end up getting this. We played with the expansion, which didn't seem to do much.

Skyline Played 3 quick games of this on the final day. Another yahtzee like game, but with some very tough decisions thrown in. Again, I may get this some day if I can find it at a low enough price.

Trains Dominion with a map component (some cards allow you to add track and stations at a cost of picking up waste, which is a dead card). Not much else to say other than that the art is horrible and will need a serious upgrade if this gets a re-print.

Battle Beyond Space This was fun, but not my find of game. Very light, but had some interesting decisions.

Games I did not like but will be willing to play one more time to be sure:

Alien Frontiers Meh. And I won.
Space Cadets All the little mini games were just not interesting. Kind of like the puzzles in Mansions of Madness. They just seemed to be there to occupy a hole in the game.
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery I bought this via the virtual flea market because I thought it would be a sure bet. Ended up being the lone absolute dud of the con for me. At least the other 2 above had their moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was introduced to Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery which I had just purchased the Saturday before, Monad, Puzzle Strike, Gauntlet of Fools, Coup, Ground Floor which I already have coming through kickstarter, and Article 27: The UN Security Council Game.

My only purchase during the con was Crude: The Oil Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I tried GMT's new Crown of Roses and put it on my wishlist right away.

I bought the two-player Agricola from Z-Man for some friends, and Sorry Sliders from the flea market for myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I really liked Article 27: The UN Security Council Game as well and picked it up. My dad doesn't game, but we think he'll really enjoy it! We also really liked Morels and bought a signed copy. I played a round of Lost Legends as well since I had already Kickstarted it, and I have to say I'm now even more anxious to receive it. We also played Memoir '44 for the first time over the con and picked up a copy in the flea market.

New to 'the list' since the con, and in no particular order...
- Arkham Horror
- Dixit
- D-Day Dice
- Bears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy: Gears of Time - Tried in the vendor area. My wife instantly loved it, but they were out of copies already on Friday. Luckily we scored a copy on Saturday from the limited re-supply.

Legacy: Gears of Time

Le Havre - Inland Port- Played twice and plan to pick this one up when it is available.

Le Havre: The Inland Port

TZolk'in - Played once in the Hot Games room and later in the main ballroom. Likely will pick this one up some time soon.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Aylott
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed Article 27, Suburbia, and City Hall. This last needs some love on Kickstarter, so if you like city-building games check it out. It's a winner.

As for the con as a whole, loved the new venue. Comfortable, convenient, and the con still felt like a gathering of friends even with the higher attendance. Everything was very smoothly run and I had a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caylott wrote:
As for the con as a whole, loved the new venue. Comfortable, convenient, and the con still felt like a gathering of friends even with the higher attendance. Everything was very smoothly run and I had a blast!

Agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caylott wrote:

Well said!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was generally a weaker year for new games. Tzolk'in, Ginkgopolis, Trains, and Goblins Inc. were decent, but not strong enough to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caylott wrote:

I was a first timer, but we spent a lot of time with a couple of everytimers, and the fact that I never had trouble finding a space to play except for right before the drawings was awesome.

According to our vets, in the past you often had 2-3 games going on at one table and you had to squeeze in a lot. But not only was there ALWAYS room in the main hall, the filmmakers room was always near empty and was a good quiet (if cold) place to go play. (Bigger tables too!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
I thought this was generally a weaker year for new games. Tzolk'in, Ginkgopolis, Trains, and Goblins Inc. were decent, but not strong enough to buy.
I did not get to try Trains or Tzolk'in. However I was definitely impressed by Terra Mystica, was underwhelmed by Copycat, didn't like Goblins, surprised by Ginkgopolis, and fell in love with CO2 and Great Zimbabwe. The latter two (along with Android: Netrunner, VivaJava and Resistance: Avalon) make 2012 to be a great year for strategy games, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frazee
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried an "older" game in Colosseum and had a great time. Picked up Milestones after a half a game and Merchant of Venus just due to hype
Also enjoyed Skyline (will probably pick up someday), Infiltration, and Viva Java.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
itsmarty wrote:
caylott wrote:

Well said!

See, that's interesting, because I disliked the new venue, overall. BUT, I had a buddy with a car, and we went out for dinner like every night (I think). Getting in and out of DFW was a true pain. Most of my complaints about the Regency stem solely from using a car. No car - no problems. Interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mdp4828 wrote:
Trains - not strong enough to buy.

You blaspheme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
clydeiii wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
I did not get to try Trains of Tzolk'in.

Wait, Trains of Tzolk'in?!? I'm so in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife fell in love with Tokaido immediately
Archipelago is on the list of things to buy soon.

I enjoyed Mage Wars Arena and picked up Trajan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I really play Terra Mystica 6 times? Holy cow.

No, wait, the cute cows were in The Great Zimbabwe, which I only played 4 times (3 of them before the con started, but the 4th was one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had in a LONG time.)

4 plays of Archipelago. Hanging around with depth-versus-breadth gamers is having a corrupting effect on me!

I wasn't going to buy any games there but we interrupted our second game of CO2 so two of us could go buy copies.

My con geeklist is at Morganza at BGG.Con 2012; it's a bit short on meaningful insights because it was all posted on the fly from the gaming rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
We really loved Ginkopolis, and bought it.

I highly enjoyed Snowdonia (as a painful-if-you-make-a-mistake worker placement) and Escape (as a ten minute dice rolling panic session) and was very tempted to buy them.

I loved Coup and my local gaming group buddies invested in at least three copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
See, that's interesting, because I disliked the new venue, overall. BUT, I had a buddy with a car, and we went out for dinner like every night (I think). Getting in and out of DFW was a true pain. Most of my complaints about the Regency stem solely from using a car. No car - no problems. Interesting.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.