Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The food choices were really bad. The cash and carry was far too expensive, the bar choices were too limited and the rest at the hotel wasn't even in the discussion unless you had a really big dining budget.

I wanted to eat and play. Not ride the van, then eat, then wait for a ride back, and then play, so the choices for me were on site and they weren't good.

I just want to give some feedback so that Aldie et al can send this feedback to the hotel. Two dollars for a can of Pepsi was simply ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad we drove, and were therefore able to bring our own food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah as soon as I make my reservation next year I'll be reserving a refrigerator as well and hope the reservation holds. One trip to Target and I'll be good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The buffet was very hit and miss. At $12 for con goers the price was very reasonable. I never ate cash and carry. I brought bananas, apples and yogurts with me and that was breakfast each day. Also, trail mix helped for when I skipped a meal. But the grill by the lobby pretty much kept me fed within a reasonable budget. IF the buffet looked bad, I got a pizza for $15 which, as it turned out, was big enough for 2 and was delicious.

My recommendation for next year: double sided badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:

My recommendation for next year: double sided badges.

+1000000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon H.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Give me all the bacon and eggs you have!
badge
Ron Swanson!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them to clean the bathrooms more next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McMahon
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You buy weird things when you have to much GG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the tables in the main hall. Two small rectangular tables joined in the middle? Really. I don't think that any of them were all that level. I thought that these were also just a tad on the small side.

I also agree to use double sided name badges as mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wiegert
United States
Weatherford
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WORST, PIZZA, EVER!!! at the cash and carry. And that is saying ALOT coming from me. that and a COLD cup of coffe were the only things I bought there. Definetley wasn't going back. Ate the fish buffet Friday. It was decent enough. WE brought all our food and a microwave and an ice chest along to eat in the room for most of the trip.

My only other complaint is the flea market needs to last TWO hours! I will be spearheading that cause for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Wiegert
United States
Weatherford
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leppy wrote:
Most of the tables in the main hall. Two small rectangular tables joined in the middle? Really. I don't think that any of them were all that level. I thought that these were also just a tad on the small side.

I second that complaint!!!! split tables for a BOARDGAME convention?!? Really?? That is weak sauce right there my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadguy wrote:
Leppy wrote:

I second that complaint!!!! split tables for a BOARDGAME convention?!? Really?? That is weak sauce right there my friend.

By far the biggest complaint I had. Ended up avoiding the big room most of the con. The side rooms didn't have that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Yeah as soon as I make my reservation next year I'll be reserving a refrigerator as well and hope the reservation holds. One trip to Target and I'll be good to go!

Just so you know, apparently you can't reserve these. We had contacted the hotel last spring, shortly after reserving the room, to request a refrigerator. When we checked in, we found not only was there no refrigerator in our room, they were all spoken for and so we were forced to ice everything everyday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The food quality at the cash-and-carry was pretty low, but it was edible.

I found the restaurant buffet to be a good cheap option, though the service was not very good (it was nearly impossible to get the server's attention).

Restaurant buses were good, but it takes a long time, especially with the rush hour delays. I don't have a particular objection to any of the stops, but perhaps some of them could be cut to reduce the round-trip time?

Soda prices:
Coffee shop, $1.90 per 16oz bottle (with badge discount)
Soda machines on room floors, $2.00 per 16oz bottle
Cash-and-carry, $2.00 per 12oz can
Hotel gift shop, $3.25 per 16oz bottle (!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leppy wrote:

Agreed and agreed. The split tables were very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
Leppy wrote:

Anybody else nearly strangle themselves (thank goodness for the breakaway connector) repeatedly because the badge clip kept catching on the lip of the table when you leaned over and leaned back again?

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
Leppy wrote:

Anybody else nearly strangle themselves (thank goodness for the breakaway connector) repeatedly because the badge clip kept catching on the lip of the table when you leaned over and leaned back again?

-Dave

Yep and I couldn't figure out what to do about it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leppy wrote:

I agree about the tables. Perhaps they should consider a few more round tables for those games where they would work better (Advanced Civilization, 7 Wonders).

The food prices were not out of line with what I've seen at other conventions. I didn't take advantage of the shuttle, as I knew that doing so would mean at least an hour (for fast food) or up to three hours (for sit-down meals) away from gaming. I ate the breakfast buffet twice, as well as at the cash and carry setup and Ace's Bar.

I'm considering taking advantage of the $5 Grapevine shuttle the day before the convention starts next year to make a run to Target to grab a few things to snack on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:

Maybe I'll bring a safety pin next year and just clip my badge to my shirt and ditch the lanyard.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:

No, but at one point I had put my badge inside my shirt to avoid it knocking stuff over as I was standing over the table to do a rules explanation. About half way through the game, with the badge still under my shirt I leaned up against the table, causing the clamp to open, and then eventually close with a good chunk of my skin in its grasp... surprise

I got some funny looks from others at the table as I was wincing in pain and fishing around up the bottom of my shirt to release myself... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are minor tweaks that could be made, but I appreciated all the effort the con organizers and hotel went through to provide options.

-There was a fast, mediocre option available, priced for convenience (grab and go)

-A slower option with better quality and wider variety was available at a discount (hotel restaurants)

-Knowing there's no way to please 2000 people with a handful of options, a restaurant bus was provided that had a ton of options across the price, quality, and variety scale.

I think a veggie burger and/or cheese quesadilla on the grab and go to increase the non-meat options would be great, and I'm sure some other small changes can be found, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect everything to be available quickly, cheaply, and at any hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
The buffet was very hit and miss. At $12 for con goers the price was very reasonable. I never ate cash and carry. I brought bananas, apples and yogurts with me and that was breakfast each day. Also, trail mix helped for when I skipped a meal. But the grill by the lobby pretty much kept me fed within a reasonable budget. IF the buffet looked bad, I got a pizza for $15 which, as it turned out, was big enough for 2 and was delicious.

Agreed... the cash and carry sandwiches were edible, avoided anything cooked. On the first day they had breakfast sandwiches that were f--king vile. Ate the breakfast buffet twice and the dinner buffet once and it was decent food for the price, and yes the service was fairly terrible most of the time.

Biggest disaster for me at the convention: Buying a chocolate chip cookie from cash and carry and it turned out to be raisin. My own damned fault though.

EDIT - All of these are minor nits. The convention as a whole was amazing, fantastic, superlative. Any concerns I had about things not scaling well from 1200 up to 1900 were utterly unfounded. Best four days I've had this year.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Maybe I'll bring a safety pin next year and just clip my badge to my shirt and ditch the lanyard.

-Dave

I brought one of these and used it instead of the lanyard. It works much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
dshortdesign wrote:
Leppy wrote:

-Dave

I never had the breakaway trigger, but after the first day I swapped it out with a lanyard I had from home that was less catch-able. I also had some nice belt clips, but I assumed it was supposed to be around my neck, if that's not a requirement I'll definatley move it to my belt next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itsmarty wrote:
I think there are minor tweaks that could be made, but I appreciated all the effort the con organizers and hotel went through to provide options.

-There was a fast, mediocre option available, priced for convenience (grab and go)

-A slower option with better quality and wider variety was available at a discount (hotel restaurants)

-Knowing there's no way to please 2000 people with a handful of options, a restaurant bus was provided that had a ton of options across the price, quality, and variety scale.

I think a veggie burger and/or cheese quesadilla on the grab and go to increase the non-meat options would be great, and I'm sure some other small changes can be found, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect everything to be available quickly, cheaply, and at any hour.

Certainly they did great given this was the first time. I wanted to start this thread to let the organizers know what we would like (not demand) to see next time. I'd simply like better (not McDonald's but better) pricing on the cash and carry stuff. You could get a cheese quesadilla in the bar (ask for the chicken quesadilla and tell them not to include the chicken; same with the beef nachos).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:

-Dave

I tied a knot at the back of mine to shorten it up. Worked fine after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I brought an electric cooler, which worked better than the refrigerator, I think. Also, there are a few restaurants that deliver to the hotel. The Chinese food delivery was pretty good and plentiful. The pizza delivery for i Frattelli was decent. Large pizza was 17.19 and plenty of food for 3 hungry people, I thought. You could probably make it last a few meals, as there was a microwave downstairs near the coffee counter. Overall, the buffets were reasonable, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.