Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a long weekend of games at BGG.CON-2012, i would have to say my favorite game is Myrmes. Anyone who's been following or on the fence should jump on this new title.

cheers
-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Already have it preordered, but would love to hear more of your thoughts on the game!

darlok wrote:
After a long weekend of games at BGG.CON-2012, i would have to say my favorite game is Myrmes. Anyone who's been following or on the fence should jump on this new title.

cheers
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I liked it, not my favorite. Probably around 7th best or so albeit in what is shaping up to be a very very strong year. I will be buying it.

It did seem the best developed of any of the good games. Very smooth flow. Every action made sense and would be how I would have defined them if I were trying to design this game. Attractive bits too.

Plus you get to eat spiders.

I like this sort of economic game with interactive, but not aggressive play on a shared map. It fits well in most groups, plays in about 90 minutes. I have not tried it with the various player counts (only played 4) but I bet it's just fine across the entire range.

Clear buy. But not an all-time classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In order, based on one play each:

Keyflower
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
The Great Zimbabwe
New Amsterdam
Terra Mystica
Archipelago

any of which could easily be the game of the year in a weaker year --- for instance, from 2010 the only game I would put up with any of these is Dominant Species. I suspect Terra Mystica will rise (and might even end up being my favorite), but that was my response to the one game I played.

Turns out I cannot count and will change my posting above to say 7th favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People seem to loooove Terra Mystica, and I myself would like to have it. However I have Keyflower on the top of my wishlist, though I have not played Keyflower nor Terra Mystica.

What I have played and also own are Tzolkin and Myrmes and both are great. I would not agree that everything in Myrmes is "as it should be". Both me and the ones I've played with found it a bit strange that larvae were basically just food and did not develop into ants. This does not make the game bad and I still will take any chance to play Myrmes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Y00shi wrote:
People seem to loooove Terra Mystica, and I myself would like to have it. However I have Keyflower on the top of my wishlist, though I have not played Keyflower nor Terra Mystica.

What I have played and also own are Tzolkin and Myrmes and both are great. I would not agree that everything in Myrmes is "as it should be". Both me and the ones I've played with found it a bit strange that larvae were basically just food and did not develop into ants. This does not make the game bad and I still will take any chance to play Myrmes

You make a good case about it not being 100% faithful to the theme. But that's not what I meant: I meant it doesn't have any rough edges. Nothing you have to explain to a new player 5 times until he or she gets it.

I love The Great Zimbabwe, but it's basically all rough edges. I have taught it now to a lot of groups and every single time it ends up in a confused mess that requires saying the same thing multiple different ways until they get it enough to start playing and then get it wrong in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Y00shi wrote:

You make a good case about it not being 100% faithful to the theme. But that's not what I meant: I meant it doesn't have any rough edges. Nothing you have to explain to a new player 5 times until he or she gets it.

I love The Great Zimbabwe, but it's basically all rough edges. I have taught it now to a lot of groups and every single time it ends up in a confused mess that requires saying the same thing multiple different ways until they get it enough to start playing and then get it wrong in the game.

OK I see.

I like seeing other people impressions on the two games on my list I missed at Essen, but also on the ones I did get my hands on, to see what other people think, especially since I am new to the hobby.

I am missing impressions on Kemet though. Tried it and bought it at Essen, GREAT simpler "war game" (game where all you do is fight), has not gotten enough attention imo.

Also I was a bit surprised that I didn't find Suburbia on your list, since everyone seems to love it. I have it and do not love it as much as everyone else seems to, did you not get a chance to play it or did you just not like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Y00shi wrote:
dkeisen wrote:
Y00shi wrote:

OK I see.

I like seeing other people impressions on the two games on my list I missed at Essen, but also on the ones I did get my hands on, to see what other people think, especially since I am new to the hobby.

I am missing impressions on Kemet though. Tried it and bought it at Essen, GREAT simpler "war game" (game where all you do is fight), has not gotten enough attention imo.

Also I was a bit surprised that I didn't find Suburbia on your list, since everyone seems to love it. I have it and do not love it as much as everyone else seems to, did you not get a chance to play it or did you just not like it?

I do like Suburbia. Just not as much as Myrmes. I would put Suburbia, CO2, and Myrmes at roughly the same level. I expect to buy both Suburbia and Myrmes, CO2 maybe not as I liked it just a little bit less and the length and opaqueness will make it more difficult to get to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dave,

That's a good list, and wouldnt argue per se.

I'll give brief feedback on the below:

Keyflower: This is a really good game, that i will likely buy.
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar: I do think there is a good game in here, and more than just a gimmick, but it lasted too long for what i got out of it, but if ur a lover of euros def check it out.
The Great Zimbabwe: Too long
Nieuw Amsterdam: Ok
Terra Mystica: I think a bit overrated at this stage...
Archipelago: Didnt Play

I'll add in
ginkgopolis as another winner and one i would buy

I like myrmes i think because it reminded me of antics, but with a better board and tighter and more interesting gameplay. You are able to plan your turn and be rewarded for clever play and proper planning. The bits are good, and it took about as long as i felt it needed to be even with 4 new players.

I guess i would say if there was only one game i could take home from the con, it might have to be Keyflower based on my group...but i would really have to think long and hard over that.

I would also agree, that Dominant Species was a clear winner in years past, unfortunately i felt i disliked more games than i liked this year which i believe to be a first.

dkeisen wrote:
In order, based on one play each:

Keyflower
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
The Great Zimbabwe
New Amsterdam
Terra Mystica
Archipelago

any of which could easily be the game of the year in a weaker year --- for instance, from 2010 the only game I would put up with any of these is Dominant Species. I suspect Terra Mystica will rise (and might even end up being my favorite), but that was my response to the one game I played.

Turns out I cannot count and will change my posting above to say 7th favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
darlok wrote:
The Great Zimbabwe: Too long

I'm surprised at this one. I've only played twice but both 5 player games took 45 mins or less.

My bad, you are correct, very long weekend, and poorly taken notes!
-
J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.