Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
Your local hangout for Craft Beer, Mega Milkshakes and Hobby Gaming. Visit www.maltedmeeple.com for more information!
badge
Ravenwood Castle, a gaming destination in Hocking Hills, Ohio. Visit www.ravenwoodcastle.com for more information!
mbmbmbmbmb
Announcing the first annual RavenCon/Hoop & Stick, March 1st and 2nd, 2013, at Ravenwood Castle in the scenic Hocking Hills, Ohio.

A weekend of board games, role playing games and general gaming goodness! In a castle!! For charity!!!

RavenCon/Hoop & Stick 2013 features:

* Game demonstrations by Colby Dauch of Plaid Hat Games, creators of Summoner Wars, Dungeon Run and Mice & Mystics!
* Multiple role playing sessions, featuring Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons!
* Board games galore!

But the most important part of RavenCon is Hoop & Stick, a charity fundraising effort for the benefit of Child's Play.

*Ravenwood Castle will be donating 50% of room rental proceeds for the entire RavenCon weekend to Child’s Play.
*We will also be donating $50 from every ticket sold to Child's Play (the remainder covers the cost of the Saturday night Medieval Style dinner).
*We will be holding a silent auction & raffle, from which 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Child's Play.
*Finally, we will be holding a month long online donation drive for Child's Play leading up to the event itself.

Tickets for RavenCon/Hoop & Stick 2013 are $75, and include:

* Saturday Night’s Medieval Style Dinner
* Access to all gaming sessions
* A commemorative Ravenwood Castle dice set

For more information, check out the RavenCon/Hoop & Stick page at
http://ravenwoodcastle.com/ravencon.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
Your local hangout for Craft Beer, Mega Milkshakes and Hobby Gaming. Visit www.maltedmeeple.com for more information!
badge
Ravenwood Castle, a gaming destination in Hocking Hills, Ohio. Visit www.ravenwoodcastle.com for more information!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the successful completion of the Sportsfriends Kickstarter, we will be adding Johann Sebastian Joust to the event list. It will be an alpha build, but after having played it for hours at a recent convention, I'm certain nobody will mind!

We are also adding a world tour of Ticket to Ride, courtesy of the fine folks over at Days of Wonder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update.

We've sold out all of the rooms at the castle itself, but have opened an overflow property at the nearby Hocking Hills Resort. If you would like to attend the convention, you'll need to call to purchase a ticket (740) 596-2606, and then make your room reservations with Hocking Hills Resort. They've agreed to donate a portion of each room rental to Child's Play as well.

We've also added a small vendor room to the convention. Don't get me wrong, this won't be a full on exhibit hall, but there will be a FLGS in attendance, as well as a local artist who's graciously donated a wonderful print for our Silent Auction.

Finally, we're continuing to add new events to the schedule. The newest addition to the lineup is Ticket to Ride World Tour.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The online donation drive portion of RavenCon is now live.

Are you unable to attend RavenCon, but would like to help out anyway? Now you can!

Click the ChipIn! widget on the RavenCon website to donate directly to Child's Play.

The online drive will be live from now until RavenCon. At the close of the event, all funds raised through ticket sales, room reservations and the silent auction will be donated through this same ChipIn! widget, allowing for maximum transparency.

As a side note, we have begun booking people into the overflow property mentioned in the previous post. Given the rooms and tickets we've sold so far, we're up to a minimum contribution of $3,500 to Child's Play. And that's before the silent auction and online donation drive!

With your help, we can make our goal of raising $5,000 for Child's Play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

What's the schedule for the weekend? I'm probably going to stay at home and drive back and forth from Columbus. I am trying to decide whether to come Friday night after work, or just Saturday.

Also, I'm seeing some notices listing through the third, and some through the second. Can you clarify?

Thanks,
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry for the delay in responding Bill, we were traveling the last few days (Vegas baby!) and I didn't have access to all of my files.

The event itself is from the first to the third, though Sunday the third will be the lightest day by far. Our tentative schedule of events is below. I stress that this is tentative. We're expecting things to be rather fluid, and we're fine with letting the schedule develop as it will, as long as everyone is having fun!

Friday, March 1st, 2013
3:00pm Earliest check in for guests staying at Ravenwood Castle
6:00pm–6:15pm Welcome Address – Great Hall
7:00pm–8:00pm Dinner – Great Hall – by reservation only
8:00pm–10:00pm Roleplaying Session – Library
8:00pm–1:00am Open Games – Great Hall, Raven’s Roost Pub

Saturday, March 2nd, 2013
8:30am–10:00am Breakfast – Great Hall – for guests staying at Ravenwood Castle
10:00am Doors open for offsite convention attendees
10:00am–6:00pm Open Games – Great Hall, Raven’s Roost Pub
10:00am–6:00pm Roleplaying Sessions – Library
10:00am–6:00pm Vendor Hall Open – Great Hall Veranda
11:00am–2:00pm Lunch – available ala cart in the Tea Room
2:00pm–6:00pm Tournament (TBD) – Raven’s Nest
5:00pm–6:00pm Silent Auction Display – Great Hall
6:00pm–8:00pm Dinner (All Ticket Holders) – Great Hall, Raven’s Roost Pub
7:00pm–8:00pm Silent Auction – Great Hall
8:00pm–8:15pm Closing Address
8:00pm–1:00am Open Games – Great Hall, Raven’s Roost Pub

Sunday, March 3rd, 2013
8:30am–10:00am Breakfast – Great Hall – for guests staying on site
10:00am Doors open for offsite convention attendees
11:00am Latest check out for guests staying at Ravenwood Castle (luggage can be left in office if you wish to keep playing)
10:00am–1:00pm Open Games – Great Hall, Raven’s Roost Pub
10:00am–1:00pm Roleplaying Sessions – Library
11:00am–2:00pm Lunch – available ala cart in the Tea Room
1:00pm–3:00pm Tear Down/Clean Up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RavenCon is only two weeks from today! We're so excited, we've decided to start our silent auction early, right here on BGG!

Head on over to the RavenCon Silent Auction geeklist and take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to attend, but couldn't come down for more than Saturday afternoon and evening, and it wasn't financially realistic for me to spend $75 for 8 hours of gaming. Especially with an hour drive there and back in the same time frame. I plan to make a small donation to Child's Play in honor.

I also really wanted to meet Colby and try to get him to help me with those damn Cave Goblins! I wanted to thank him in person for a note he sent to my students' game club, where they've been playing a ton of Summoner Wars.

I hope things went well, that you had a good turnout, and that you will do more of these events in the future!

Will you be posting a convention report of some kind?

Best wishes,
WMReed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry you couldn't make it Bill, we'd love to have met you. We definitely plan on doing more events of this nature, so you'll have more opportunities.

We have a great turnout, hitting 60 or so folks both onsite and off. I'll put up more information later, and one of our guests has been videotaping the proceedings and will be putting something up on YouTube for us.

I just posted over in the silent auction thread that we raised a total of $5,573 for Child's Play! Between that, and the fact that everyone is smiling and having a good time, I'm putting RavenCon down as a huge success!

Oh, and Colby walked into the office as I was typing this, I passed your thanks along to him for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teneman wrote:
The online donation drive portion of RavenCon is now live.

Are you unable to attend RavenCon, but would like to help out anyway? Now you can!

Click the ChipIn! widget on the RavenCon website to donate directly to Child's Play.

The online drive will be live from now until RavenCon. At the close of the event, all funds raised through ticket sales, room reservations and the silent auction will be donated through this same ChipIn! widget, allowing for maximum transparency.

As a side note, we have begun booking people into the overflow property mentioned in the previous post. Given the rooms and tickets we've sold so far, we're up to a minimum contribution of $3,500 to Child's Play. And that's before the silent auction and online donation drive!

With your help, we can make our goal of raising $5,000 for Child's Play!

That widget doesn't come up on my iPad or iPhone. Which is what I have to use right now. Is there another link to which you can direct me? I still want to support Child's Play.

WMReed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That ChipIn Widget has proven to be notoriously difficult to use. And as it turns out they're going to be shutting that service down on March 7th (don't think THAT announcement didn't give me a heck of a start!)

Child's Play has assured me they're setting something different up, so we'll be in good shape for next year. In the meantime the best way to support them is to head over to their site (www.childsplaycharity.org), they've got a Donate Via Paypal link in the upper right.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Reed
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised, here is a brief wrap up of RavenCon 2013, our first - but definitely not last - Child's Play Fundraiser Gaming Convention

In bullet point form, RavenCon had:

* Over 60 gamers
* Over 100 games (our library plus some brought by guests)
* Colby Dauch and Isaac Vega from Plaid Hat Games
* Kelly Brightbill from The Art of Kelly Brightbill
* A silent auction table with a dozen items, which raised over $1,000
* Tables and tables full of giant turkey legs

We all had a great time, but don't take my word for it, here's some
photographic evidence. I know I made several new friends, and learned quite a few new games. I will also be adding several games to both my personal collection and the Castle Library (Last Night on Earth and Spartacus are both inbound).

And of course, we also had a giant check for Child's Play!

I'm not sure yet whether the next RavenCon will be next March, or whether we'll change the date up a bit. I'm also not sure if it will be called RavenCon (that name is in use by another, larger convention) or whether we'll rebrand it. What I AM sure of is that we'll be doing this again.

And if you can't wait, don't worry, you don't have to. While it's not as large as RavenCon, we are planning a small event on March 30th, International TableTop Day. Our doors will be open to the public from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM for people to come play games with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.