Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Bodman
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

I have been playing this game with 15 cards from a standard deck, while I am waiting for my copy to arrive...

Ace - Assassin
King - Duke
Queen - Contessa
Jack - Ambassador
Ten - Captain (or thief, as we call him)

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

That's exactly how we started playing it
we used to have the jack as the captain and ten as ambassador
and 2 as the spy - a character we ended up dropping

It just got played so often that I decided to produce a set to give to friends who played with us

(and then i thought it would be fun to visit Essen with our own game ...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What did the spy do?? Allow you to look at a person's card? Or both of their cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikki, my copy came with 4 copies of Duke and only 2 copies of Ambassador (15 cards still). I take it this is not right?

How would I go about getting another Ambassador?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Hi Clyde - I'll ping you direct and help you out. Did you get it new and unopened? Were they the wrong ones in the sealed cellophane - if so that's not good....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikki Tahta
United States
new york
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
joepinion wrote:
What did the spy do?? Allow you to look at a person's card? Or both of their cards?

The Spy originally allowed you to look at the Deck or one card (random) from someone.

- Then we reduced it to just looking at the deck.
- Then we introduced the Random Card Variant - (see http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893534/variants-we-tested)
- Then we dropped it altogether and allowed the Ambassador to choose from 2 cards instead of 1.

Problem with the Spy is it was too powerful for 3 players and too weak for 6 players. (function of how many cards in the deck as a % of all the cards out) Also everyone clammed up once the spy started as it made bluffing much riskier.

it's a better game without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what we are doing as well . . .

However, with a twist--see Dune variant . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikki wrote:
The Spy originally allowed you to look at the Deck or one card (random) from someone.

- Then we reduced it to just looking at the deck.
- Then we introduced the Random Card Variant - (see http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893534/variants-we-tested)
- Then we dropped it altogether and allowed the Ambassador to choose from 2 cards instead of 1.

Problem with the Spy is it was too powerful for 3 players and too weak for 6 players. (function of how many cards in the deck as a % of all the cards out) Also everyone clammed up once the spy started as it made bluffing much riskier.

it's a better game without it.

Was the Spy later developed into the Inquisitor, or did the Inquisitor originate differently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.