Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Pitt
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I've stumbled across this game online - NEVER heard of it before - and it looks like a cheeky stocking filler for Christmas. I'm a little bit bemused by the rules/comments I've read on sites so far. Can you help me out?

1) I've read that the gnomes start the game, each one behind a different tree. I THEN read that the gnomes should hide again but can go ANYWHERE on the board. Surely, if they're not behind a tree and on one of the circles, the "candle mover" will be able to see them and they're not "in hiding"?

2) How can you ensure, when the "candle mover" has his/her eyes closed, that the cheeky gnomes aren't cheating and jumping over the light?

3) How do the gnomes determine which tree they'll all get together under to win the game?

4) If the gnomes can go anywhere on the board, is it possible after the "candle mover" has taken his/her first turn that all the gnomes just simply move to one tree and win the game?

I MAY be looking into the rules I've read online TOO much and confusing myself, without actually seeing the game. However, the movement of the gnomes is really confusing me!!!

Ade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Landes
msg tools
We just got the game today and I played a few games with the kids tonight, so I'm no expert, but I think I can enlighten you a bit.

1) For one thing, the little gnomes or dwarves are not restricted to moving on the circles at all. The circles are only for the tea light. The ONLY thing that restricts where the dwarves can go is the light passing between the trees. The little guys generally stay tucked into the tree corners. Also, if the candle mover sees where a dwarf is (though not freezing him in the light) it isn't the end of the world, as the light's movement is restricted to the paths and the dice roll, and he can not change direction 180 degrees.

2) Hopefully at least one of your friends playing can keep the rest of the scoundrels honest ;P

3) Since the shadows and therefore where the dwarves can move changes each turn, this seems to be a pretty dynamic and improvised decision. 3 dwarves who were each trapped behind their own trees (by not having an unlit path to another tree) could in one turn be able to move all over the place, if the candle happens to get in a good spot (for the dwarves)

4) We did have one game end in a couple turns. The children cheered and we started another game right away. In the instructions it gives a few ideas for rule variations (like remove a couple trees) to make the game easier or more difficult.

If all this has failed to help you, I can transcribe the rules from the instruction book here. Probably what I should have just done, heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pitt
United Kingdom
Market Drayton
Shropshire
flag msg tools
Ryan, thank you, that really helps.

Ade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone post a different interpretation of the rules for the game on the back? I understand some aluminum foil needs to be placed on the push stick to reflect light and it seems the candle is stationary, but the movement of the gnomes just doesn't click with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
history_denier wrote:
We just got the game today and I played a few games with the kids tonight, so I'm no expert, but I think I can enlighten you a bit.

4) We did have one game end in a couple turns. The children cheered and we started another game right away. In the instructions it gives a few ideas for rule variations (like remove a couple trees) to make the game easier or more difficult.

This still seems easy to me, but maybe I'm over-thinking it or playing the game wrong. If all the gnomes can hide behind the same tree corner they should always win the game first turn. Or did I miss a rule that each gnome can only take up one corner of a tree?

When I played with my family recently we restricted movement to 1 adjacent tree per turn for each gnome, if they decide to move. And they were easily winning though it took them a few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The other players each choose a dwarf (or dwarves) and hide them behind trees in the shadows, one to a tree. The adult should close his eyes so that he does not know the hiding places.

from; https://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/1xbqt3wri/Waldschatt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.