Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend constantly complaining about the unfairness and aggressive gametone and so I ask if anyone has a clue how to make this game into a more friendly and maybe even faster version? The core mechanics are genius but the distruptive power of techs and culture and great persons is not enjoyable for her.
Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...why not play a different game? There is a plethora of amazing cooperative games out there. I guess you could devise a series of variants to make the game less aggressive, but that feels like missing the point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
She is complaining that the core mechanics are genius but the game is too aggressive - not that she want to play another game - she means that the game is fine but too harsch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting off topic here, but I consider the game's aggressiveness an unavoidable consequence of many of the design decisions. This is a military game, it's about beating other people up. Maybe I misunderstood; which parts does she consider too harsh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notsteve Notlawton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you and your girlfriend play with other group members? Who is usually the aggressor? It may be similar to how in my group only one member (Mr. Mathers) is a militarily focused player, and thus we always know what to expect from him (he'll build a lot of armies, scatter them around the map so we don't know where he's going, then make guerrilla raids on infrastructure and cities) and can plan accordingly. Even then though, our games are usually only violent in the last few turns, when someone knows they can't outrace the leader, so he might as well try to outgun him. Is this sounding correct, or what is the dynamic? Until we know that it will prove rather difficult to find a solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
egrek egrek
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have something similiar with my partner.

I've read 2 player games become a bit of an arms race, as military victories are the best way to win in 2 player games.

For us, one person buys barracks/academies to either destroy the other, or as defence - then the other person panics and starts stocking up and soon military becomes it.

The only way I've thought of (and not tried yet) is to not have barracks and academies. Just take them out. They give too much of an increase for people. Without them, fighting is less powerful and so less likely.

As I say, it's a theory so far. So it may not work, but if you give it a go, let me know how it goes!

(might be playing more soon as just got the expansion! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, war is in the man's blood. Wars made our map as it is today and still are happening everyday.

I am just saying that a civ game without war would be weird.

I remember on StarGate Atlantis that Sheppard and McCoy were playing a civilization "simulation" (that later they discovered was NOT a simulation at all) and one point they saw that there were no way they could aviod the conflict.

And as one of my favorite games once said, War never changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.