Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on a deckbuilder for a few months, and it's still in the early stages. I've started to think of the different ways to choose which cards are available for purchase in already existant games, as they give very different feels:

1- Randomly chosen piles of identical cards (Dominion, Nightfall, Quarriors, Resident Evil, most Thunderstone)

2- Randomly chosen piles of similar cards (Thunderstone heroes, Dominion Knights)

3- Deck of different cards from which the available cards are picked (Ascension)

4- Deck of different cards which are all available, where you go through the cards to choose the one you want (AFAoS)

There are also games where the cards are all available to everyone (Dominion, Thunderstone), and others where a player has cards only he can buy (AFAoS, Nightfall). In Ascension, everyone can buy the cards, but it might not be available when it comes to your turn.

In my game, players must gain creature cards to fight for control of various buildings which give VPs and/or powers to those who control them. However, I'd like for each player to have decks with different flavors. I thought of using a loyalty system like in Warhammer Invasion, but that didn't work so well in a deckbuilder, and that's not the topic at hand anyway...

Regardless, what are your thoughts of the various possible set-ups for a deckbuilder? What are the pros and cons? Which do you prefer, and why? Are there any I missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
In my game, players must gain creature cards to fight for control of various buildings which give VPs and/or powers to those who control them. However, I'd like for each player to have decks with different flavors.

The game you describe is Rune Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about point systems, players have a load of diffrent units with diffrent cost, at the beginning of the game both players build a deck with a set number of points

example a knight costs 5 points, an archer 4, and a peasant 1, the decklimit is ten, players can make a deck of one knight, one archer and one peasent, for a toal of ten, but they can opt for two knights just as easily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some other ideas:

The buildings used determine which cards are available

Control of buildings grants access to certain cards

Use an auction system for which cards are used

Have the cards available in a tech tree format; card Y allows access to card Y1 and Y2, etc.

Link available cards spatially (move here to access card Z). *this is what I did in Salmon Run

Good luck with your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
1- Randomly chosen piles of identical cards (Dominion, Nightfall, Quarriors, Resident Evil, most Thunderstone)

Piles in Resident Evil aren't random, and not all cards in a particular weapon pile are identical. They are predetermined by scenario or by player decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
JVallerand wrote:
In my game, players must gain creature cards to fight for control of various buildings which give VPs and/or powers to those who control them. However, I'd like for each player to have decks with different flavors.

The game you describe is Rune Age.

Hmmmm, will definitely look into that game! Thanks for the tip.

munio wrote:
what about point systems, players have a load of diffrent units with diffrent cost, at the beginning of the game both players build a deck with a set number of points

example a knight costs 5 points, an archer 4, and a peasant 1, the decklimit is ten, players can make a deck of one knight, one archer and one peasent, for a toal of ten, but they can opt for two knights just as easily

Yes, but that would not be a deckbuilding game.

drktron wrote:
Here are some other ideas:

The buildings used determine which cards are available

Control of buildings grants access to certain cards

Use an auction system for which cards are used

Have the cards available in a tech tree format; card Y allows access to card Y1 and Y2, etc.

Link available cards spatially (move here to access card Z). *this is what I did in Salmon Run

Good luck with your game!

Buildings allowing some cards are something I thought of, although I did not think of tech trees. Having the cards spatially attainable makes some sense and could add a lot... Have to think about that some more! Thanks for the idea!

EitherOrlok wrote:
JVallerand wrote:

Piles in Resident Evil aren't random, and not all cards in a particular weapon pile are identical. They are predetermined by scenario or by player decision.

You are correct. I've only played that game once, and thought the predetermined piles where for a "beginner" game. Apparently they're not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Worlds also has an interesting aspect of having some variety in the Player's Starting decks. So while things are generally the same, and you build decks from a common pool, you always have at least 1 card that no one else has.

It's a neat effect and can have a profound impact on your strategy if you let it. Although I've had games where the unique card was pretty much ignored because of how the first two turns played out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.