Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, quick question here:

Does this game come with trains or discs? Looking through the images section I notice some with little wooden trains and others with little wooden discs. Are the discs and trains just from different versions? or were the trains bought similarly to how little wooden animals are bought for Agricola?

thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game comes with discs. You can get the trains two different ways:

1) buy them as an accessory, or
2) they come with the Steam Barons expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
It comes with discs.

However, many steal the trains from Chicago Express or buy them separatedly. The Steam Barons "expansion" also has them but it's a completely different game that uses the same components more than an expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks! I wonder why they went with discs for this one after they went for trains for Age of Steam and Railways? Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlG wrote:
thanks! I wonder why they went with discs for this one after they went for trains for Age of Steam and Railways? Any ideas?

Because Mayfair produced this one, whereas Eagle produced both of the other titles... and Mayfair actually has a lick of sense, whereas Eagle destroys everything they touch.

The original Age of Steam also used discs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the trains however they do not work very well on the income and vp tracks.

We use them anyway, cause we likes the bits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Because Mayfair produced this one, whereas Eagle produced both of the other titles... and Mayfair actually has a lick of sense, whereas Eagle destroys everything they touch.

The original Age of Steam also used discs.

Mayfair is just wood orientated. So they used wood. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, would anyone's enjoyment of the game be somewhat diminished by having discs instead of locomotive silhouettes?

I prefer discs, but it's a pretty minor thing for me - locomotive silhouettes are the equivalent of playing a color I don't usually play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it doesn't diminish I just like having train-shaped tokens when I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Mayfair is just wood orientated. So they used wood. That is all.

Huh? The train tokens from Steam Barons are made out of wood as well... So are the train tokens from Chicago Express.

Anyway: Game-wise I feel like using discs for marking ownership of tracks is easier to the eye and better to handle as their rotation doesn't matter (as long as nobody wants to put them on the edge, but I never had any player trying that yet ).

It's different though with the train tokens. There I find me and other players aligning the trains a lot and correcting their position if they don't stand "on their wheels" and "along the track" ("There! You see? Those hooligans tipped another locomotive tonight!!!").

But in the end I'm such a fool for nice gaming components that I always play with the train tokens. And I also added additional train colors from two sets of Chicago Express I found at a discount sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danmation ,,

Massachusetts
msg tools
I've seen little stickers that go onto other discs, does anyone know of little train stickers to go onto the discs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.