United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice the prototype boards and pieces for the new OGRE set coming out.

I'm curious. What are people's thoughts on what they saw? How did you like the boards, chits, 3d bits, etc.? Of course these are not production samples, but from what I understood the art, dimensions, and such are basically set.

I'm most interested in opinions from folks to whom this game already appeals. I'm not looking to debate the merits of the "game", verses modern games, etc.

I wanted to insert this as a poll, but do not remember how to do so.

Thanks for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAPS!

Maps big enough for miniatures... easy for old men to see... with pieces large enough and sturdy enough for children.

Edit: Was not at the con and have not seen them in person-- sorry; just grokked the thread title here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rogers
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
They're Young, They're in Love... They eat LARD
mbmbmbmbmb
Our little game grew up!

It was nice to see it in person; the boards are huge, the minis look much more substantial and better than I anticipated. I'm really looking forward to playing this next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the set up they had at BGG.Con.

The fellow made it very clear to me that the maps were not the final maps, they were prototypes.

I admit, I was very underwhelmed by the Ogres themselves. I know there have been tons of photos and it was clearly stated many times that they were hardboard punch outs. Still, seeing them and holding them...very underwhelming. My first thought was...is it too late to change my mind?!?!

The ones I saw were very light and the pieces did not fit together very tightly, they were a little sloppy fitting. I also really disliked the thick edge of the hardboard being so visible. Hopefully the final ones are black or some other colour that is not so obvious.

The towers and other bits looked fine, because the hardboard edge is usually sideways or seen as a deliberate element. The hardboard edges on the Ogres look very out of place.

It is likely I will be using a sharpie pen on the edges and some glue in the joints.

The squad counters look good though, nice and thick, easy on the eyes.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got hammered for calling the edges ugly in another thread, but the pictures gave me that impression too.

Hopefull the production ones at least fit together better.

Jake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Gallagher
United States
Saginaw
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a good look at the prototypes. I'm happy. The maps are great, the counters are great, the 3D targets are good, and I'm not worked up enough about the Ogres to care about the edge complaints made above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked what I saw, with the proviso that I understood full well that this was prototype stuff.

Up close and personal, the chipboard edge will perforce be visible and so-so. From a "eagle eye's view", I didn't find the edge bits distracting.

But then I don't clip my counters either so what do I know. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, have reservations about the 3-D units, and especially the edges of the units...

BUT...

There is a sheet of flat Ogres in the box as one of the $3k sponsor sheets with 16+ Ogres on it. So if you or I don't want to use the 3-D units, there is another option already in the box for us! Just more Ogre gaming goodness!!

D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very pleasantly surprised by the appearance of the constructed miniatures. I think they will look just fine when completed. It made me that much more eager for the arrival of my pre-orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought everythong looked great. I'll post a pic once it's approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.