Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried a quick game with the "Great Crusade" one-mapper scenario (starts off with the 1943 invasion of Sicily). I'm a little concerned about the balance of this scenario; the Germans have access to all 5 of their air-units (not counting the interceptor), and I've found the Allies have a hard time keeping-up primarily due to their lack of air-superiority. Now in the one-mapper "Barbarossa" campaign the Germans start to loses their air-units as the game progress, and they are left with only 2 by the end. I think a similar mechanic should be included in this "Great Crusade" Scenario.

Has anybody else run into this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Given - I've not tried the scenario itself but player only full campaigns, the issue for the Axis is that they have VP modifier vs the USLC modifier (and others) for the delays.
The Allies in the '43 have -2 pratically to all their rolls safe presence of submarines.

On the other hand the Soviets pratically do not get a modifier until very late (unless they play their economical directorate).

So the Axis can have a good Luftwaffe upfront, but the Allies will cycleback their planes very quickly; and in '44 it will only grow faster as the Allies get more planes, better delay, worse Axis delay (also with Material shortages at some point - or even with Intensive Bombing).

On the paper I am pretty confident to affirm the Allies won't have issues.
In '43 they've enough ships and planes to ensure placements of beacheads for Italy.
In '44 the Allies can safely place 1-3 planes almost per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real problem with this scenario is that the Axis get to use their full complement of air-units; in other words it would be as-if they didn't use them at-all versus the soviet side. No matter how un-favourable the DRMs might be, the Axis always seems to be able to restrict Allied air-power beyond the historical level.

I'm gonna try the 1943 campaign scenario, and see how they compare...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.