Evan Dorn
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
End Racism
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of a source for pre-cut printable hex-shaped sticker stock?

I'm working on a game with modular hex tiles. Part of the problem is that I need to make a lot of revisions to the tiles as I prototype and test.

Cutting out hexes printed on cardstock is severely time consuming. What I'd love to do is buy a couple nice sets of MDF hex bases, which would make better pieces than cardstock anyway, print hex stickers with the current revision of the game files, and stick them on top.

But all the pre-cut stickers I can find are rectagular, circular, oval, or full-sheet. I could cut hexes out of the full-sheet ones, but then I'm right back to the same problem as with cardstock: hours and hours on my paper cutter.

Any thoughts on a better process?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do circular labels that attach to MDF hexes. Litko (http://www.litko.net/categories/Miniature-Bases-%26-Bottoms/...) will cut you MDF hexes to your specifications to match whatever size labels you have. You'll still see the points of the hexagons, but if you paint them with a background color, you might be able to hide the fact that the label is circular somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IdahoEv wrote:

hours and hours on my paper cutter.

How many hexes do you have?! ;-)

As it goes - how are you laying your hexagons out on the sheet? If you tile them with triangles (an equilateral triangle against alternating sides of each hex, like these) then you can cut them out entirely with unstopped straight lines, which makes the process less tedious, at least.

Another option would be to see if you can find a die-cutting machine with an appropriate cutting die; you can then just place your printed sheet in position under the die, line them up appropriately (there are a number of ways to get this bit right) and run them through the machine to cut out a few hexes at once.

EDIT: Also, if you're re-printing a lot of material when you make revisions, ask yourself if you really need to. Most of my prototypes are more covered in pen, pencil and small 'correction' stickers than the original ink, I'll only print out a new thing if I really, really need to. Otherwise it's too much of a psychological barrier to revise things that really need revising!

Also also, you could always just cut a rectangle around the hex, stick that to the top of an MDF hexagon, then turn it upside down and run the knife blade along the sides of the MDF to trim the label to shape and size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Print & Play Productions can do any shape stickers, just send me a geekmail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dorn
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
End Racism
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

How many hexes do you have?! ;-)

Well, I have hyperbole. But I want to spend time designing not cutting.

Version 0.5 has 68 tiles, but in the next rev I think I'm going to be close enough that I want to have 3-4 copies to take to local game days and shops for wider group playtesting. So that's a few hundred tiles, total, maybe still needing significant revision.

I did figure out the triangular layout after the 1st version - major timesaver. But still once you cut them into strips you have a lot of attached triangles to cut that are hard to do in bulk.

I think I'll probably try circular stickers next. The missing corner coverage is totally fine for proto and early testing. If I get more serious about design I'm sure I'll invest in a die cutter eventually. The more tools I can find an excuse to buy, the happier I am!

Quote:

Also also, you could always just cut a rectangle around the hex, stick that to the top of an MDF hexagon, then turn it upside down and run the knife blade along the sides of the MDF to trim the label to shape and size.

That's a pretty clever idea that hadn't occurred to me ... thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dorn
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
badge
End Racism
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, for the moment I've settled on trying round stickers on wooden hexes. In case anyone else stumbles onto this thread in the future, I ordered:

* 100 sheets of 2" round labels (20/sheet) from SheetLabels.com. $16 + $5 shipping
* 100 3mm x 50mm plywood hex bases from litko.com $25 + $11 shipping

That's way more stickers than I need, but 100 sheets was only $1 more than 50 sheets. So I'll use them for the next 30 game designs.

I didn't find exact 2" plywood or MDF hexes anywhere, but 50mm is 1.96" which is close enough.

I picked 2" because it's about the right size for my game, and because it leaves me the option of making nicer sets with 2" hex bathroom tiles later on.

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wedig
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done something similar for a game prototype/gift. My game needs 40 hex tiles, so what i have ordered is:
300 1.5" plywood tiles from Litko (enough to make 6 sets plus extras)
6 sheets of 1.2" round sticks from OnlineLabels.com

I just noticed that Print & Play offers 1.5" hexes printed one-side on black chipboard, so I may have to check that out for my next set.

-Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.