Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
First of i must say that i enjoyed this game. I am a eclipse fanboy as they say, however i felt it was missing certain things to make eclipse epic.
I think this game is not trying to make that distinction. However it fills a niche that was always missing for me. A better TI3. And this game has succeeded in that regard at least for me.

First up are the components and while everything is very useable there are some minor issues.
-The wooden tokens are the smallest you can have without being too small to grab, this does mean that you have a hard time getting them knocked around while playing.
My copy also has several damaged cubes and cylinders and around 5% that were of a irregular size, mostly smaller than normal.
-The cardboard is on the thinner end of the scale and the laminate was peeling even if you were careful in removing the tokens.
Also as is usual with china made cardboard, there is some minor warping issues.
-The cards are not textured and glossy. so i foresee a possible problem in the future.
These components issues are very minor indeed and could be improved upon, i would hope that these issues will be resolved in future editions and future games from NSKS.

Next up is the background story and this one does not disappoint in this department. The background story is grand and colorful and relevant to the gameplay without interfering with it. This was something the designer seemed to want to get right and certainly did.

No space 4x game is anything if not for a tech tree, and this game has a great one.
All tech is available with no perquisite and discounts can add fast to get what you want, this seems like a improvement of both eclipse and TI3.

Now for the most important aspect is game play, this is a nitpicking issue for me as i have found games today are never properly play tested. Either by the wrong type of players or by not enough diversity of players. This game has a medium rating in this department from me. As eclipse had a great and TI3 and space empires 4x both a good rating.
-First up is the rule book: while the rules are very well written, there are a couple of questions that come up with unstated rules. This is a common problem when they do not hand playtesters a game and say: learn and play by yourself. Instead the designers are almost always part of playtesting and teach the rules. Many big companies are having this issue and this is always my biggest gripe. This can be and will be resolved with a FAQ. Which the designer is working on.

-The game is fluent and plays very well:

1/ The upkeep phase is clear and to the point. The taxes levied are simple yet have a bigger impact on the game than you would initially think.

2/ The political stage is fast and actually has big impact on the game unlike in TI3 where it takes forever and has minimal impact.
Exodus uses a blind bidding mechanism. Which i really like. However since everyone loses all their money bid this could turn ugly if bids are not appropriate.
I really like the 3 types of political cards and the fact that laws are not guaranteed to stay the whole game. The election for chancellor has a elegant tiebreaker in which he can not rule tiebreakers in his favor. Which lend to some interesting choices of bids.

3/Actions: very well designed, i really enjoy the decisions associated with the cards and taking someone else's reactions. A fine concept and a very nice core to the game. A big improvement over TI3 concept (or should I say PR).

4/WMD stage although a great concept, has a couple of flaws. First of all i like the 3 types of rockets, however in reality why would you build anything but biochemical rockets? They offer essentially the same thing as hypersonics since if you destroy all population, they could not get the resources either, with the bonus of actually taken points away from those players. And still have resources available for you to take if possible. Granted there is a way around that with keeping cubes on ships and dropping them off during the conquest phase. This is only temporarily since the next phase you might be at the same point.
(Our last game had so many rockets since they are unlimited that at the end of the game noone but me scored many points because i did had the foresight to load some of them up to the ships in the previous turn. Most planets were empty of cubes.
This seemed like a missed opportunity to me.
Having a rule where you can only fire one or two rockets for every cube should somewhat eliminate this problem.

5/conquest phase, this is the meat of the game in where you conquer planets and move population to new planets. I think the blind movement is great and leads to some nice bluffing situations.
The fact that you actually have to move population cubes with your ships to other planets is a very welcomed mechanism.
Simple combat is fast and easy to resolve.
Damage stays with the ships is the best concept in these types of games. It does give a whole new meaning to damage.
The only problem i have is that the record for damage and where cubes are should have been easier to track.

The special abilities for each player has fallen short to make some differences in our games. Some of them seem really useless.
I would have liked to see more of a tech tree start and or ships floorplans and starting positions difference. Maybe even population and money start differences.

Final thoughts;
What is up with the fraction points? Seems like the designer tried to be cute and failed in the attempt.
Also low scoring games, around 20-30 points makes the middle and chancellor very powerful tools in the last round. I wish the chancellor was 2VP and that the middle had something to fight over instead of just the last round.

Exodus Proxima Centauri is a great game, for me it falls just short of eclipse in terms of gameplay however it does eliminate the need to play TI3 for me which is something eclipse never did!
If the components were better I would almost be tempted to rate it a ten however it receives a two thumbs up 9 for me.

Hope you enjoyed the read and thanks.
Cheers
Lexen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lexen wrote:
Our last game had so many rockets since they are unlimited that at the end of the game noone but me scored many points because i did had the foresight to load some of them up to the ships in the previous turn. Most planets were empty of cubes.

Are you saying that you used your ships to transport the rockets along with the population? Do the rules really allow that?

Anyway, my thought on this issue is that the bonus Move Action should take place just before firing the rockets, so the majorities could change and the endangered planets could be evacuated.

Thanks for the review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Baldanzotto wrote:
lexen wrote:
Our last game had so many rockets since they are unlimited that at the end of the game noone but me scored many points because i did had the foresight to load some of them up to the ships in the previous turn. Most planets were empty of cubes.

Are you saying that you used your ships to transport the rockets along with the population? Do the rules really allow that?

Anyway, my thought on this issue is that the bonus Move Action should take place just before firing the rockets, so the majorities could change and the endangered planets could be evacuated.

Thanks for the review!

No, I had some pop cubes in the ships from the previous turn, so they were immune to the biotech and graviton rockets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the informative and interesting review!

lexen wrote:
4/WMD stage although a great concept, has a couple of flaws. First of all i like the 3 types of rockets, however in reality why would you build anything but biochemical rockets? They offer essentially the same thing as hypersonics since if you destroy all population, they could not get the resources either, with the bonus of actually taken points away from those players. And still have resources available for you to take if possible.

Just to confirm that you're playing correctly, for each Biochemical Rocket fired you have to first roll for the range to see if it reaches the planet, then roll 3 dice per rocket to see if they do any damage, removing just 1 Population cube per 5 or 6 rolled. Were you wiping out all the population from a planet per successful hit, or were you just firing enough rockets that population was being decimated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
By the end of the game we had about 20 biochemical rockets out. Most of them hit because of radar and short distance. lets say only 10 would hit of those, that is 30 dice with 10 hits average. And more hit than that...
Then only 2 or 3 pop cubes come in every turn. Not to mention the ones you use for extra actions would be gone already... Not much left...

With 1 or 2 pop cubes on each planet you can easily try to only have 1 or 2 rockets targeting each planet and still have a good shot at killing 2 cubes with 6 rolls for 2 rockets. That average odds.

Rockets are much better early in the game than later! So we had more eliminations towards the center during the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.