Subject: My OCTGN tourney 1st place decklists (HB / Gabe) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I noticed that Orange Devil had posted their decks and done some solid analysis, so I thought I should follow suit and post my decks, too.

~~~

Identity:
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (9)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core) x3
Priority Requisition (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x3

Asset: (6)
Adonis Campaign (Core) x3
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3

ICE: (24)
Archer (Core) x2
Chum (Core) x2
Enigma (Core) x3
Heimdall 1.0 (Core) x2
Ichi 1.0 (Core) x3
Rototurret (Core) x3
Tollbooth (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x3
Wall of Thorns (Core) x3

Operation: (8)
Archived Memories (Core) x3
Biotic Labor (Core) x2
Hedge Fund (Core) x3

Upgrade: (2)
Corporate Troubleshooter (Core) x2

Total Agenda Points: 21

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 35
Jinteki: 5
NBN: 6
The Weyland Consortium: 4

I really like Haas. I'm not entirely sold on their ice. Ichi is pretty fantastic, but Heimdall is only sort of alright, and I don't run Viktor at all. This is partly why all my OOF influence was spent on exotic ice from around the world: Archers, Tollbooths, Walls of Thorns, Chum.

The praises of Tollbooth have been sung many times before. Archer isn't ideal in Haas because of the lack of 1-point agendas, but it combos nicely with Shooter, and can really punch a hole in a runner's rig if they don't prepare for it. The fear of Archer is also enough to put some folks off running a server entirely.

Chum works well in a Haas deck. It's great in front of Ichi and works with Heimdall too; it's a good way of counteracting an FF'd Tollbooth; it's a nice play in front of Archer.

Wall of Thorns is OK. It's a nice ice to set off early game in the hope of catching your opponent unawares and discarding their breakers, and only costs 1 influence, so you can stack 'em high: having a high proportion of ice is key to getting Beta Test to work reliably.

Having playtested this thoroughly, I'm inclined to drop the Chum and a Wall of Thorns for a SanSan City Grid, an extra Biotic Labour / Secretary / Shooter, and another Heimdall. Having SanSan gives Haas a lot more options against decks, like Orange Devil's, which can confidently run any server in the late game - because it lets you score PSF from hand with the help of a single Biotic Labour (and 12 credits).

If possible (i.e if not playing Criminals with in-faction Account Siphons) I like to build up a large stock of cash early in the game and sit on it. Having a big pile of money is great, because it lets you set up Rototurret / Archer traps for your opponent. I'm sure Weyland players will agree.

~~~

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (24)
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Deja Vu (Core) x1
Diesel (Core) x3
Easy Mark (Core) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3
Infiltration (Core) x2
Inside Job (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3

Hardware: (2)
Desperado (Core) x2

Program: (10)
Corroder (Core) x2
Gordian Blade (Core) x1
Ninja (Core) x2
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x3
Femme Fatale (Core) x2

Resource: (9)
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Bank Job (Core) x3
Decoy (Core) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 6
Criminal: 69
Shaper: 9

Ah, Gabe. Fun to play, and devastatingly effective. Criminal cards let you poke holes in your enemy's weak points, and keep poking, and poking, until they bleed.

I don't think I fielded an optimal Criminal deck in the tournament. In future, I think I'll drop a Corroder to let me run a copy of Maker's Eye (another lesson learned from Hollis)! I found that I never actually played Femme, which will likely go in favour of a single copy of Crypsis.

I play three copies of Sneakdoor because I want one in my opening hand. I will Mulligan to get one; I think it's vitally important to be able to attack HQ from two fronts as soon as possible.

Although I've noticed some folks starting to play down only one huge server as a response to the existence of Bank Job, I still see PADs and other assets in separate servers pretty frequently.

My respect for Account Siphon has increased throughout the tournament (and also as a result of some of my matchups at the most recent Exeter City Grid). Playing one (or multiple) Account Siphons to reduce a corp's bank balance to zero is a horrifying move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nice decks. Account Siphon is a sick card. Best Criminal card, IMO, and that's saying a lot. You can completely shut down the corp with that, particularly since you have Deja Vu to get it back and hit them again.

I played a game over the weekend where someone Account Siphoned me four times in one game. All my agendas were on the bottom of my deck, so they had time. I've never felt so impotent as corp, and that includes games where I've been stuck facing down the Shaper Rig-Of-Death with the runner at 5 agenda points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
jopejope wrote:
Nice decks. Account Siphon is a sick card. Best Criminal card, IMO, and that's saying a lot. You can completely shut down the corp with that, particularly since you have Deja Vu to get it back and hit them again.

I played a game over the weekend where someone Account Siphoned me four times in one game. All my agendas were on the bottom of my deck, so they had time. I've never felt so impotent as corp, and that includes games where I've been stuck facing down the Shaper Rig-Of-Death with the runner at 5 agenda points.

For Account Siphon do you usually need to save actions to remove the tags immediately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malefact,

I really like the decks. Your runner deck seems a lot stronger than my first deckbuilding attempt.
I decided to build something close to yours and I had some snap judgements that came to mind (without much experience), so correct me if I'm wrong:

-Isn't Crash Space better than Decoy 95% of the time?

-I was thinking about throwing a Wyldside or 2 into this deck every deck I build. From a Magic background it seems powerful, but I could be valuing cards completely wrong with so few games under my belt.

-Close to half of this deck is credit generators. Do you feel like that is the right amount?

Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
Malefact,

I really like the decks. Your runner deck seems a lot stronger than my first deckbuilding attempt.
I decided to build something close to yours and I had some snap judgements that came to mind (without much experience), so correct me if I'm wrong:

-Isn't Crash Space better than Decoy 95% of the time?

-I was thinking about throwing a Wyldside or 2 into this deck every deck I build. From a Magic background it seems powerful, but I could be valuing cards completely wrong with so few games under my belt.

-Close to half of this deck is credit generators. Do you feel like that is the right amount?

Thanks for posting.

Heya! Glad you like the decks, and that they've come in handy as you've started deckbuilding. On your points above:

1) What Mr. B said. The Decoys in my deck are there for the sole purpose of stopping Scorched Earth Tag & Bag. As a result, this deck does less well against decks that run a lot of tracing/tagging, especially ICE like Data Raven or Hunter, than if it had been running Crash Space. I have been toying with the idea of putting a copy of Crash Space back in to the deck for that reason.

However, I think that what will probably happen is that I'll start running 3x Rabbit Hole when the first Data Pack comes out, and that will sort the problem out for me. On the downside, I'm probably going to have to drop Diesel to make them fit.

2) There are a couple of good threads discussing Wyldside (this is one of them), so it might be worth checking those out. I think Wylside is very powerful, but my feeling is that it isn't great in a "vanilla" Criminal deck like mine. I think the main reason for this is that unlike Shapers or Anarchs, if you use that type of deck, you're not trying to build up a formidable rig in quite the same way. Plus, you have tricks that let you run without a full rig for many rounds - Sneakdoor; Inside Job; Forged AO; Special Order to get that one breaker you need. At this early stage of the game, playing Wyldside is shooting yourself in the foot; you want every click you can get, usually to run the corp mercilessly while it's still defenseless. Then, in the mid-game, there's a limit to how many cards Criminals want to or are able to play - you'll notice that my deck is mostly Events - so burning through it constantly is not ideal, as you end up discarding quite a lot of useful stuff.

Then there's the problem of influence - 2 Wyldside is 6 INF (same as Diesel), but if you want one copy Aesop's to turn it off, that's 8 INF total.

One other thing that's good about Wyldside is that it means decks that like doing a lot of damage over the course of the game (Jinteki) have less of a noticeable impact (because you're so efficient at drawing). However, it's not an archetype that seems particularly popular at the moment.

3)

"Money" cards in my Criminal deck:

Account Siphon (Core) x3
Easy Mark (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Desperado (Core) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Bank Job (Core) x3
[Infiltration (Core) x2]

I make that 17, 19 if the Infiltrations do end up getting used for cash. So, yeah, close to half - about 2/5ths, I reckon.

I'm honestly not sure what the right proportions should be. But my feeling is that in A:NR Money=Power, and therefore anything that can get you richer relative to the Corp is probably a good thing. A lot of these cards also have important secondary purposes - Desperado for the MU that lets you keep Sneakdoor + your rig; Account Siphon for draining the Corp's cash; Bank Job for remote server mind games; Infiltration for...infiltrating.

Account Siphon definitely works best if you can combo it with another Siphon, so I would always run three of those. Bank Job can end up being useless, but if your opponent runs PAD, it's an easy 4 credits (5 with Desperado). It's probably the only one I'd consider dropping copies of right now if the meta changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, correct me if I'm wrong (never played Magic myself, though I know people who have played) but isn't it the case that without card effects allowing you extra draws you are limited to a single draw per turn? That's a significant different to Netrunner where you always have the option of drawing anywhere between 0 and 4 cards in a turn depending on your needs and entirely independent of card effects.

Or, in short, in Magic, the only thing that determines your card throughput is what deck accelerators you have included. In Netrunner how fast you move through your deck is entirely up to you, and can be assisted by accelerators, but is not dependent on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Wyldslide is one of the best cards and its one of the worst ones It really depends on when you play it. The problem is the curve might go from good to bad 1-2 turns earlier and 1-2 turns later. If you play it too early you will never get rid of it and might loose the game because you miss that 1 click/turn. If you get it too late, you might not draw the cards you need because the earlier you get it the more cards you draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.