Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I am anxiously awaiting my copy of Chicken Caesar (Add-on for Mars needs Mechanics campaign)because I think my gaming group will love the theme. The only downside about the game is that it is 3-5 players and I only have time to get with a group 2 or 3 times a month. Other than that my wife and I play together regularly.

I was curious about a possible 2-player variant. I am hoping that someone who has had a chance to play the game could let me know if it would be possible for each person to control 2 players. I know something like this would not work for say BSG (all the secrecy human/cylon), but could it work here? And if it does work, is it fun or does it kill the game? Any other possible suggestions would also be great! I know this game will be played and loved, but I am hoping to squeak out a few more sessions with it. thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about a possible 2 player variant before I got the game, but haven't had a chance to really organize my thoughts about it yet. I think that there would have to be a dummy player with some well-defined behavior, but I think it could be done.

Something like: As an Aedile, Nero (that's what I've decided to call the dummy player) always tries to get taxes as close to 3 as possible (if there's a choice between 2 and 4, he chooses 4). As a Consul, he takes the highest offered amount and approves the monument upgrade. If there's a tie, he picks the most recent dead rooster (highest one up the board, more or less).

Along those lines. I had most of them worked out to a certain degree, with some different options for a few of them where I wasn't sure how complicated it should get... I'll try to post a full-formed idea in the variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, Chris -- I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

We toyed with the idea of a 2P version, but didn't spend much time on it. The problem is that there is no randomness in the game, and a 2P version will necessarily be a zero-sum affair. There won't be an incentive to make deals. It would boil down to something chess-like, I think. That's fine, if that's your bag, but it will be a very different game from the one we set out to make. As it stands, the 3P game is fairly "thinky" and AP-prone, so I'd make sure you really like the 3P game before diving too deep into a 2P variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.