Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: golden_geek_awards [+] [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see King Of Tokyo see some wins! I was shocked just how much our group enjoys that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Well, it's not a 2012 game in the first place.

Eclipse, Mage Knight, and Sekigahara all are from 2011. Sekigahara was even nominated last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Huskvarna
Sverige
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Perhaps there should be a rule that prohibits games that have had a commercial release being entered into the print and play category?

Sounds good.

---

Eclipse as 2012 Game of the Year and strategy game is a good choice. But I wouldn't mind to have seen Trajan as winner. Also Lords of Waterdeep was a nice game this year. Seasons havn't I played but it looks interesting.

King of Tokyo is a nice game. I don't know if I find the game is that "good", but it is FUN to play. Nice that Mare Balticum was nominated.

Mage Knight is easily the best thematic game this year. He is crazy this Vlaada Chvátil.

Glad Takenoko won best artwork, it so nice. Was afraid The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game would take it.

Android: Netrunner, an exiting 2 player cardgame indeed. Summoner Wars was also a good one. Have not played 1989: Dawn of Freedom but if it plays close to as Twilight Struggle it must be a good one, maybe it isn´t as good. I'm missing that Targi wasn´t nominated, but was glad to see Morels nominated.

For me Kingdom Builder isn't as good as many other seems to think. To light, and little bit boring. Uluru should have been a better choice. Surprised to see For The Win in the list, a game I played a lot this year.

Glad Flash Point didn't won. For me it is a copy of Pandemic.

Risk Legacy is innovative. But I nominated Tzolk'in, but it didn't even made the top 10. Village was also innovative.

Next year I predicted we will see: X-Wing, Mage Wars, Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients, King of Tokyo: Power Up!, Mice and Mystics and Tzolkin as nominated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinnaman
United States
Siloam Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
Aldie wrote:
Noctemsorrow wrote:
Congrats to all winners, with an except for the abstrac. Kingdom Builder? really?

Yes - it's pretty abstract.

Abstract? Yes.
Best abstract game of the year? Must have been a slow year for abstracts.

It's a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i like these awards and they really represent my year in 2012 pretty well!

1) Android: Netrunner - I'm a playtester for the game and play this a TON. I am very excited to see this so well received, after spending months watching the internet speculate about it. Lots of good stuff on the horizon too, this is a "lifestyle" card game that is easy to play more casually and with minimum investment. This should be popular for years to come and I'm glad to be a part of it

2) Kingdom Builder - unlike all the haters, I think this game is extremely elegant and the replay value is great. We can play this quick and make interesting decisions and it looks nice as you play, and each game has different tensions. I think this was a great SdJ choice personally, and glad to see it win a BGG award. I've stopped buying games for the most part to keep my collection trim, but keep trying to math trade into this despite others in my group having it, as I think its classic enough Id like to have it to teach non gamers. Anyone looking to offload theirs that have buyers remorse, please check out my trades!

3) Eclipse - i dont play long games...but when i do, i play Eclipse! Very satisfying blend of thematic action and euro thinkiness. We'd play this more if it didn't take so long to get a full game in. Looking forward to trying expansion.

4) King of Tokyo - by far, our most played filler of the past year, by a lot. maybe my most played game of 2012 as a result. I picked this up in late 2011 after hearing good buzz just before the "non-etched dice" version sold out, and wow, we played this alot more than we all anticipated. plays 6 very well, which few games do, and a perfect way to end a game night with little time to play. easy to teach, and the cards are still surprising us since you see so few combos per game. we really like playing with starting energy now to amp up powers quicker and lead to combos, and the game stands up to house rules quite well! expansion should be here soon!

5)Risk: Legacy - we played about 6 games of this, and will finish the campaign eventually. Plays 5 well, and surprised us all at how fun Risk was with objectives and secrets. nostalgic and fresh at same time, so deserving of recognition. Ultimately the gameplay itself isnt riveting, but I look forward to seeing what this design inspires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clemens kremer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the list needs more Feld !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Sousa Campos
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:
2) Kingdom Builder - unlike all the haters, I think this game is extremely elegant and the replay value is great. We can play this quick and make interesting decisions and it looks nice as you play, and each game has different tensions. I think this was a great SdJ choice personally, and glad to see it win a BGG award. I've stopped buying games for the most part to keep my collection trim, but keep trying to math trade into this despite others in my group having it, as I think its classic enough Id like to have it to teach non gamers. Anyone looking to offload theirs that have buyers remorse, please check out my trades!

I don't see any hate for the game itself, no one its saying the game is bad, they are complaining about the fact it won as an Abstract. And for the most abstract players, the luck of the draw it's enough for it's not to be considered an abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noctemsorrow wrote:
flamejuggler wrote:

I don't see any hate for the game itself, no one its saying the game is bad, they are complaining about the fact it won as an Abstract. And for the most abstract players, the luck of the draw it's enough for it's not to be considered an abstract game.

Your assessment of abstract players perception is probably accurate, but I'd disagree with them. Abstract deals with thematic-ness not randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noctemsorrow wrote:

As is frequently an issue with categorizing, there are those entities that don't fit neatly into a category. For many KB is too abstract and doesn't do thematic justice to the name and cover. For others the luck of the draw is too random to be abstract. I'd submit it lives somewhere in the middle between abstracts and euros.

One nice thing about the lack of oversight/micro-managing with these awards is that hybrids can get recognition when otherwise a committee might have arguments to throw it out of every single category. That was one of the reasons put forth why Tintin with its motion-capture got screwed out of even a nomination in the Oscars: live-action people said it was animation, and animation people said it was live-action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mb
Aldie wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
Shouldn't the D-Day Dice link go to D-Day Dice: Free Trial Version? D-Day Dice is not a print & play.

Yes, thanks for correcting me.

That's really weird that this was only changed now, AFTER the voting was complete.

Aldie, I GM'd you about this back on October 5th, as soon as the error in the voting polls was noticed.

Why only change it after everyone voted for it? If people voted for the commercial version, then let the award stand for the commercial version.

That's what people were voting for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Die drei ??? und der geheimnisvolle
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
dcorbin13 wrote:
Abstract deals with thematic-ness not randomness.

In that case Eclipse could have won best abstract as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
RyansProShop wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

Best abstract game of the year? Must have been a slow year for abstracts.

It's a great game.

You'd better be ready to defend this assertion when I see you tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chaz wrote:
Massive amounts of luck and direct conflict, eh?
Who knew that Settlers is ameritrash?!?

Last time I played it, I don't recall blowing up any else's roads or buildings in Settlers, maybe we are thinking about a different game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noctemsorrow wrote:
Congrats to all winners, with an except for the abstrac. Kingdom Builder? really?

Yep they all look like deserving/good winners less this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
The Chaz wrote:
Massive amounts of luck and direct conflict, eh?
Who knew that Settlers is ameritrash?!?

Last time I played it, I don't recall blowing up any else's roads or buildings in Settlers, maybe we are thinking about a different game?

Maybe you're playing it wrong... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

If your definition of "direct conflict" requires blowing stuff up, then indeed Settlers has no direct conflict.

But then by that definition, neither do Chess or Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This is the least impressive bunch of winners since Golden Geek started - yikes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty excited about the winners all around. Would completely agree that Eclipse and King of Tokyo are the best things to have come out of the past year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Best Boardgame music video presentation must be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSEeDdyrrik

Any better?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mb
sveinmain wrote:
Best Boardgame music video presentation must be this one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSEeDdyrrik

Any better?!?

This might be my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uFhD4rnxM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice winning PnP GotY is a crime. Hell, it being up at all was dumb. At least Roboderby Express was rethemed when they went retails.

BSG Express for life!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
This is the least impressive bunch of winners since Golden Geek started - yikes!

Incorrect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svein Main
Norway
Joerpeland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HanClinto wrote:
sveinmain wrote:
Best Boardgame music video presentation must be this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSEeDdyrrik

Any better?!?

This might be my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18uFhD4rnxM

Yes, fantastic Magic the Gathering music video. Got my self a good laugh:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm completely frustrated by the abstract category. Abstracts are my favorite genre and the GoldenGeeks keep failing to I honor games from that genre (except in years that Kris Burm publishes).

FYI: since a bunch of others are also frustrated, someone has started an alternative award which is taking nominations now:

BEST COMBINATORIAL 2-PLAYER GAME OF 2011/2012 AWARD

The games which have been nominated so far feel like a way better fit than the "abstracts" that get nominated for the GoldenGeeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
good thing the PnPers have our own awards as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.