Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
Oh, I had a feeling you were joking, Helmut. But I couldn't pass up the chance to post Spock. BGG needs more Spock.

Everything needs more Spock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
jond wrote:
Trajan was all that is bad wih Feld, cobbled together and disjointed. I guess I wasn't the only one who thought so.

Not sure if Trajan making the Top 3 proves that point whistle It had to get a lot of votes to make it as a finalist.

jond wrote:

Is it really a shock that no 52 lost out to no 5?

More likely, this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
I voted for Trajan over Eclipse, both of which I like a lot, but enjoy Trajan more.

I voted #1 for Kingdom Builder as Best Abstract of 2012. I have only played a few of its competitors, and would be happy to try them all, but I think KB is sufficiently abstract in a way that is belied by its reputation (luckfest, themeless dud). I think it's a fantastic game, as far as games go, and I have lost it far more than I've won it, meaning (to me) that winning has nothing to do with luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? Are we still doing the ameritrash vs. euro thing? I would have thought that would be dead by now.

Personally, I'm thrilled to see the awesome Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff stuff win, it's the best gaming podcast ever. As boardgamers, we'd be luck to have something half as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you spare half a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
cfarrell wrote:
Really? Are we still doing the ameritrash vs. euro thing? I would have thought that would be dead by now.

It must be. I just made my way through a few pages of "wargame as a Euro" comments on Battle Cry. This could only mean that either Ameritrash is no longer a thing or some people are very confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yichao Feng
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools

Thanks, working on them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How on earth is King of Tokyo a children's game?! Let alone a party game?
I seem to have quite differing views on game genres...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Stromberg
United Kingdom
Onchan
Isle of Man
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiasco for the win. (or loss, obviously)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Stromberg
United Kingdom
Onchan
Isle of Man
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
Wow - King of Tokyo is the Best Childrens Game, and the Best Family Game, and the Best Party Game? It just missed the Best Wargame title? And it's neither thematic nor abstract?

Destruction of Tokyo is not abstract. I know, I'm a survivor of the Godzilla incident of 1985 ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Stromberg
United Kingdom
Onchan
Isle of Man
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is probably the greatest thing I've ever seen!

Well, the singing sounds shaky but I believe the acoustics is off at Preikestolen as the guys are clearly great singers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The categories should be voted on by gamers who identify with them. The poll for each should be posted separately within the BGG subdomain and anyone who identifies themselves as a wargamer could go there and vote. If players identify as multiple categories of gamers then they can go looking for all the different polls. As it is you have all sorts of yahoos (me included) voting for game types they've never even played before because people hate to leave blank answers. So you get generally popular games (not ones indicative of the genre) winning all categories.

Anyway this isn't the Boardgaming Olympics. It's not an objectively judged contest, just a popularity contest. If your game didn't win then it just means that you have tastes less in line with groupthink than the next guy/girl.

And last I checked unless you haven't graduated from high school yet that could be construed as a good thing... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

I voted #1 for Kingdom Builder as Best Abstract of 2012. I have only played a few of its competitors, and would be happy to try them all, but I think KB is sufficiently abstract in a way that is belied by its reputation (luckfest, themeless dud). I think it's a fantastic game, as far as games go, and I have lost it far more than I've won it, meaning (to me) that winning has nothing to do with luck.

...Or you have terrible luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great list of games!

King of Tokyo was already on my short list. Now it has moved up to "buying it tomorrow".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can you spare half a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
But don't you realize that by shelling out for these games just based on the awards, you validate all the voting shenanigans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Golden Geek Award Winners = games I know not to waste my time with. At least those awards are good for something. Going over 2011 and 2010, only Mansion of Madness ruined a clean sweep of snore .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Webb
United States
Whitesburg
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange, for me, Mansions of Madness was just about as much of a snore as it gets. Not that I can disagree with you on this year's list since I haven't played any of the winners this year (love the original Netrunner, however). On the other hand, the RPG and VGG lists were spot on. They would not necessarily have been my picks for the year, but I enjoyed everything on both lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
But don't you realize that by shelling out for these games just based on the awards, you validate all the voting shenanigans!

Damn these awards making me buy good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you guys (and ladies), from the whole IELLO team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.