Alexander Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
I originally posted this in the strategy subforum, but this is a better place for the report!

Today I played my second game of aGoT ever as Martell with five other players. All of us have played aGoT just a few times but are quite experienced in board games/strategy overall. It was fairly even but I ended up winning it by the last round, thanks to some luck and by laying low until the last round.

Anyway, I started out by convincing Tyrell that a strong and lasting alliance would benefit us both, lest we would be stuck in the South going at each other with no way of winning (true or not, I don't know, but it seems reasonable). I started by claiming Storm's End first round, then getting East Summer Sea and Boneway/Yronwood/Salt Shore fairly soon. Storm's End and ESS was ESSENTIAL in this game, really.
I noticed Stark was playing aggressively against Baratheon, so I quickly snatched Kingswood before the Baratheon player could do anything, getting a grip on him, and then proceeded to slowly creep up north. Getting The Reach was risky, indeed, but with the Stark threat from the North, Baratheon had all his focus elsewhere. Meanwhile, Lannister was busy fighting Greyjoy and Tyrell. I skirmished a little and used Doran Martell to send Baratheon to the bottom of the Iron Throne track, then waited until Stark made her move, pushing up and taking Shipbreaker Bay to completely cut of Dragonstone (the Baratheon player had taken King's Landing early in the game).

Meanwhile, my alliance with Tyrell was holding strong as he was busy fighting Lannister at land and Greyjoy at sea. I could then easily send troops from Sunspear to Dragonstone, effectively rendering Baratheon useless (he only had King's Landing, Blackwater and one or two adjacent territories left).

The threat was now Stark and Greyjoy, which had formed a strong alliance as well and was kept somewhat in place by Lannister and Tyrell. The Stark player then made a fatal error attacking Shipbreaker Bay, enabling me to route and catch her fleet at the same round, claiming The Narrow Sea. The Narrow Sea would later be crucial in my victory.
Stark had by this point gotten really strong with 6 castles, and the rest of us ganked up and shut her down in a round or two. I also took the opportunity of sending her to the bottom of the King's Court track with Doran. Now I only had to bide my time...

So by round nine, almost everyone had 4 castles (Baratheon 2) and practially anyone except said Baratheon was a contender for the win. Tyrell, Lannister and Greyjoy were busy fighting in the West so I mustered up 2 siege engines for round 10 in Dragonstone, used my sea dominance to claim the Eire and would at the very last minute of the game backstab Tyrell by taking Starfall in the south with a small force led by The Red Viper. I was quite lucky in just getting my house cards back by sacrificing a footman in a faked assault on Moat Calin, because without the Red Viper I would not have been able to take Starfall (which was crucial because Tyrell had as many castles as me, and his turn was coming up). When Tyrells last turn came up, he was unable to take back Starfall and ended up with 5 castles, while I had 6. Great success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a Diplomacy win! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seli L
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I wonder what the situation was like in the West, as I'm somewhat surprised that nobody did anything to stop you. I would consider even Martell in control of Shipbreaker Bay to be a strong contender for the win, so having The Narrow Sea too should be a very visible winning ticket (9 castles under control or within [often quite easy] reach).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rist Sindar
Belarus
flag msg tools
How can you claiming Narrow sea in same round? You fleet was routed and retreat. And you can not retreat to area were from you have been attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.