Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I can see the point if it's a tournament and the game is turning hopeless early, but as an actual strategy?

Does anyone do this and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen it or heard of it being used in a game. Some tournaments outlaw it. I think Ted put it in for historical flavor rather than because he thought it would drive strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Rarely in a very close game it has happened. Normaly it doesent because when a game gets that close its to late to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could imagine in a tournament versus a very strong opponent where I'd be very happy with a draw if I had that marginal lead I'd offer peace; the opponent risks to lose a VP - not a nice choice for him ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're only allowed to offer peace terms if you are ahead in VP, I can only see this making sense in positions where you have a position that is about to change for the worse (for instance, you are the Allies and the CP has just blown a hole in the Russian Front but hasn't yet taken advantage of it). In that case your opponent is really ahead even though the VP total doesn't yet show it, so you can rely on him not wanting to accept a draw.

Even then, offering PT is worth at most 1/3 of a VP on average, so there will usually be a more profitable action available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very rare that I am ahead on the VP chart, feel behind, and dont have a better use for an action. Still, I'm sure I have seen this done once; IIRC it failed to gain the potentiol VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one player who tried it on me. He had me on the ropes (17 VP,) and I had a crap hand. So he assumed I would say no and he would roll to see if he got a VP for it. He was already rolling when I said yes.

"What?"

"Yes, I accept. Good game, glad I could pull a tie out of it."

"You can't do that!"

"Actually I can, read the rules. If you thought you could beat me, you shouldn't have tried to get a cheap VP from the peace table."

I don't think he ever played me again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
"You can't do that!"

Yes, that's why it's called "offering" peace. Because you see if the other guy accepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I might be tempted if I've used more than one combat card and I have to take a one-ops anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avocado Green
msg tools
I really this post has been dead awhile, but I think it adds a certain human element to the game. Although certainly rare, offering peace to an opponent, especially in a face to face game, can give an opportunity to the losing player to save face for a draw. This can be in hopes you can get him or her to play again some other time, instead of just beating the pants off of 'em.

MD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried this, but I honestly think I probably would if I went to one of the major conventions and was up against one of the heavyweights. The biggest trouble, I suppose, would be carving out the chance to make offers when card plays are so dear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The heavyweight would presumably decline and make you roll the die, assuming he or she was demonstrating heavyweight status by beating you. As mentioned above, it's tough to find time to make those rolls against a good player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.