Subject: Best Bang-for-the-Buck Wargame Series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrapping up the Combat Commander Stalingrad Campaign this afternoon, my opponent commented that I'd certainly gotten my money's worth out of the series. Given the investment--around $230 for the Europe and Mediterranean games and the four expansions--my 38 plays break out to just over $6 per session. There are plenty of CC players who top that, but it's my best return on investment for a wargame series. What's your best bang-for-the-buck series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL, hands down. Several hundred plays, years of enjoyment, no end in sight.

CC is good, but no comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Operational Combat Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I spent $60 for the combination of Up Front, Banzai and Desert War, and have gotten many, many plays out of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front. Owned since 1983 (29 years) with thousands of plays. That's got to be hard to beat for value considering the original price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirding the Up Front series - although Combat Commander is now giving it a run for the money, with some 75 games logged. Great scenarios - but oh my, that RSG is a thing of beauty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For me, I'd have to say it was the Assault Series. Probably spent about $120 on all 5 of the games/supplements and played the various combinations of scenarios at least 50 times over the years (we played a lot in college and we used it as a "training aid" in my reserve unit (we also played a lot of Ranger).

That works out to $2.40/play (and I'm sure we played more than 50 times so that is probably a bit high).

Made me think of what game I played the most, and far and away I think the answer would be B-17: Queen of the Skies, which I am sure I am just paying pennies per play now (even with all of the various mods and expansions)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Perrella
United States
Anoka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
with a purposeful grimace
badge
and a terrible sound
mbmbmbmbmb
GS in KS wrote:
ASL, hands down. Several hundred plays, years of enjoyment, no end in sight.

CC is good, but no comparison.

Your notebook of ASL plays was impressive!!!! Thanks again for teaching me ASLSK on Thursday, I had a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes for "best bang" when comparing it to "the buck?" Is it purely the number of hours played divided by the cost of the series? I suspect there is a qualitative aspect that is hard to characterize in way that one series can be easily compared to another.

For example, I'd be tempted to immediately say a tactical game series--doesn't matter which one it is, or even whether it's air, naval, or ground. Doesn't EVEN matter whether it's a 20th century game series or far earlier (Great Battles of History, anyone?).

But most of these games--certainly not all--are played with two people. If that's your bag, then it's a relatively easier calculation. But what if I'm playing some of these systems in a multi-player format? Suddenly, game series like Fighting Wings, Birds of Prey: Air Combat in the Jet Age, The Ironclads, or Close Action start to complicate matters. How many players can play? If I get six players to have a ball with one game in six hours, isn't that more value than if I just had two players having a ball with another game for six hours, all else being equal?

And we've not even attempted to qualify the game experience in a way that we can relate value. There are some games that are prized because they are such mental contests...if that were the sole criterion, than I'd have to say my beat up old copies of the Avalon Hill Classics (wait, that's a series, isn't it??) trump absolutely everything, given how many hours of play I've logged in them since I began wargaming at the tender young age of 14!

The tactical gamers will talk about the incredible narratives in their games. Of course, devotees of Kevin Zucker's Campaigns of Napoleon System: 1x Series/Campaigns of Napoleon System: 2x Series -- etc.-- might say the same thing. Then there's the devotees of Great Campaigns of the American Civil War. Someone has already mentioned the venerable/revered Operational Combat Series. How about GMT East Front Series or even Europa Series? Those games generate some pretty compelling narratives, too!

This isn't as easy as I thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. I'd probably say Ambush!. Every year we go to the beach for a week for Thanksgiving (there right now, actually!), and I always bring Ambush! with me and get at least one game in. I got the base game for $40 or so, and probably have 20 or more hours playing the game. Wish I could get my hands on the expansions!

If bang-for-the-buck is defined less monetarily, I'd probably pick Combat Commander: Europe. I've haven't gotten in nearly the number of plays I'd like to, but all of them that I've played have been down-to-the-wire, nail-bitingly close, with cheers accompanying the wins. Can't beat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
(ericmwalters) This isn't as easy as I thought!

Great points, Eric. My model was based solely on my number of plays--solo, two-player or multi-player. Of course, the time invested is significantly different between a Wings of Glory / Wings of War dogfight with a game of EastFront II. From a quantitative standpoint, hours logged seems like the better measure. The qualitative enjoyment of those hours, of course, is a lot more difficult to measure. By any standard, I think that Combat Commander will remain in the top spot for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

ducks...

But seriously:

we must have played a BILLION times in the '80s; unable to realistically calculate bang-for-the-buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's gotta be ASL. But beyond that, I could also say Star Fleet Battles, SPQR/Great Battles of History, Musket & Pike, Fighting Wings and Close Action have also been great values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Up Front. Owned since 1983 (29 years) with thousands of plays. That's got to be hard to beat for value considering the original price.

boddekker wrote:
Thirding the Up Front series - although Combat Commander is now giving it a run for the money, with some 75 games logged. Great scenarios - but oh my, that RSG is a thing of beauty!

Series?

I guess that would make SFB my best on plays per $ - though
it cost a decent amount. With actual series-style, I'll probably
go with GBoH - I've not been big on series' before, but SPQR
was SO big - it ate up about as much time as some of my oft
played monsters do (none of which were in a series). CWB is probably
up there too, but most games in it only have one or two plays per
box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kiley
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is easy: No Retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients, no question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL for sure...playing for over 20 yrs, with nearly 400 games logged...lets see....

400 games x at least 3hrs of butt numbing per game = 1200 hrs divided into about $2000 or thereabouts...hmmm...still don't think I can convince the wife on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

Just on Case Blue no doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, ASL, without a doubt. And I've only been playing ASL for 3 and a half years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:

If you include the stickering time, it's pennies per hour. ^_^

Star Fleet Battles cost a couple hundred bucks for the entire series and I probably got 200-ish games during high school. Ogre was much cheaper and was worth a hundred plays or so.

ASLSK is great value for the investment. Of course, so is ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Up Front, Banzai, and Desert War. I really have no idea how many plays it's been throughout the years.

I see a lot of votes for ASL, and I did briefly own the original ASL rules binder, but my second vote is instead for Squad Leader, Cross of Iron, and Crescendo of Doom. Definitely my second most-played series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Tobruk System is hard to beat as well as the previously mentioned ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
I probably logged about 900 hours on the GDW Europa series back in the day. Given the game prices back then, that probably works out to something like 10 cents an hour per person for the games we played.

Ditto. Easily over 2000 hours, for a total of less than 200 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.