Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, once again, jojopi's Kindle is empty despite my best efforts and I'm turning to you, good Chit Chatters, for help . . .

She loves Lawrence Block but has basically read them all now.

Similarly A Lee Martinez, Terry Pratchet, Jim Butcher, Tim Dorsey, Christopher Moore, Tim Robbins, Neil Gaiman, Harlen Coben all up to date.

Consider all the classics read, as well as Enders, Hitchhikers, etc. Tried a bunch of current paranormal stuff and (apart from Dresden) will pass.

Looking for stuff with some humor and not too "male" - Westlake and Heinlein have failed this test.

OK. Go . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Geez, I was thinking about something completely different being filled.

Pardon me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she likes Pratchett and Gaiman she may like Robert Rankin.
(why do I feel like amazon now!? but seriously (or comedically) the recommendation holds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just went through the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson and I really enjoyed them. Currently reading Hyperion and loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
A Confederacy of Dunces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
steven brust's taltos series
Vlad is an assasin with a little dragon (or two) that he telepathically talks to that helps him.
I liked them back in the day, but now they seem less manly.

Steven Brust best known for his novels about the assassin Vlad Taltos. His novels have been translated into German, Russian, Polish, Dutch, Czech, French, Spanish, Hebrew and Bulgarian. Most of his short stories are set in shared universes. These include Emma Bull's and Will Shetterly's Liavek, Robert Asprin's Thieves' World, Neil Gaiman's Sandman and Terri Windling's Borderland Series.

I wonder if she'd like the stainless steel rat. A sort of lite sci-fi humorous James Bond with a family type series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Survivor by Chuck Palinuik but I can't spell the author's last name.

What about Vonnegut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Heller, not just Catch 22 but also Picture This and God Knows, though the last two don't seem to be on the Kindle.

Vonnegut is good.

Thomas Pynchon, starting with V. and The Crying of Lot 49.

Matt Ruff's Fool on the Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
And, actually, Jack Pendarvis' Awesome lives up to it's name and seems to be on sale for $3.99 .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Try some Carl Hiaasen. His books are hysterical. First book of his I read was called Native Tongue and I recommend it very highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

The Night Circus

Anything by Michael Chabon

Embassytown

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terribly sorry everyone. My euphemism alert just sounded.

I shall leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Silverberg's stuff is always a good read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
So, once again, jojopi's Kindle is empty despite my best efforts and I'm turning to you, good Chit Chatters, for help . . .

She loves Lawrence Block but has basically read them all now.

Similarly A Lee Martinez, Terry Pratchet, Jim Butcher, Tim Dorsey, Christopher Moore, Tim Robbins, Neil Gaiman, Harlen Coben all up to date.

Consider all the classics read, as well as Enders, Hitchhikers, etc. Tried a bunch of current paranormal stuff and (apart from Dresden) will pass.

As you know Bob UF comes in a few flavours.

I would recommend Ben Aaronovitch's series which starts with Rivers of London (Midnight Riot in the US). It is based in London, the protagonist is a copper (policeman), has a sense of humour, and isn't a fang-banger.

For the rest I am going to go through books I have recommended and which worked.

Jeffrey Ford The Portrait Of Mrs Charbuque. A wonderful baroque fantasy. A famous portrait painter gets a commission to paint a portrait without setting eyes on the subject. The subject sits behind a screen and tells tales. A strong magic-realist feel to this.

Christopher Priest. She may have seen the film of The Prestige, but some of his other work is also worth searching out. The Separation, The Affirmation, The Glamour and The Quiet Woman. Note all feature unreliable narrators.

Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood. Quite simply one of the best fantasies I have read. Set in and around an ancient wood the story involves the experiences of the Huxley family with the enigmatic forest and its magical inhabitants.

Mary Gentle's ASH: A Secret History. One big book in the UK, it may be split up in the US. It is mostly set in Burgundian France with brief sections in the modern day. Starts, and for the most part reads, like a fantasy and turns into SF.

Graham Joyce's The Limits Of Enchantment. A coming-of-age story set in an east Leicestershire village in the 60s involving the local herb-woman and her "adopted" daughter. The magic is in the background and very subtle.

Tim Powers. Declare - Spy thriller with Lovecraftian monsters and Kim Philby. The Stress Of Her Regard - A secret history involving Shelley, Byron and Keats and protean vampire-like creatures known as nephilim. Nearly all (and both of these recommendations) of Powers's work are secret histories.

On to the crime

Has she tried Christopher Brookmyre? A Scottish author, with a strong Scottish feel to his novels - often going as far as using Scots words, whose novels are darkly comic and mix politics and social comment in with the action.

Christopher Fowler's Bryant And May novels are unmatched (see what I did there). These involve the Peculiar Crimes Unit which are led by two octogenarian detectives - one of which seems obsessed with the occult. The first book is Full Dark House and this mixes the present day timeline with that of 1940 when the detectives were on their first case.

Maybe Robert Crais's Elvis Cole novels. The Monkey's Raincoat was the first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:

Tim Powers. Declare - Spy thriller with Lovecraftian monsters and Kim Philby. The Stress Of Her Regard - A secret history involving Shelley, Byron and Keats and protean vampire-like creatures known as nephilim. Nearly all (and both of these recommendations) of Powers's work are secret histories.

Speaking of, the Kindle version of his latest novel, Hide Me Among the Graves, is only $.99 right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Firestone IV wrote:
andyl wrote:

Speaking of, the Kindle version of his latest novel, Hide Me Among the Graves, is only $.99 right now.

Cool. The Stress Of Her Regard was a similar low price a few weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will probably be about the 8th time I've recommended The Boy Detective Fails to you guys. Just read it already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

Charles Stross' Merchant Princes series - an enjoyable take on the alternate worlds genre, where a journalist discovers a personal link to an earth where the industrial revolution never happened and a medieval north america is still ruled a British King ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the Brandon Sanderson recommendation - I went through the mistborn series this past weekend.

Jo Nesbo has a really good series if you're into Swedish police procedurals.

China Mieville has some good stuff.

I liked Laini Taylor's Days of Blood and Starlight and Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is great.

Justin Cronin is good.

Michael Robotham is good.

Maile Meloy is good.

Gillian Flynn is good.

Mira Grant's zombie books are fun. She also writes as Seanan Maguire and has a fun series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
- Vernor Vinge does good stuff, but I particularly loved Marooned in Realtime, because it has a really interesting mystery plot and a good premise.
- Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold is a sort-of mystery involving a magician in the 30s in San Francisco. Really good.
- I Am Not A Serial Killer was really good too. It's told from the point of view of a sociopath teenager who really doesn't want to be a bad person.
- Replay by Ken Grimwood was a really interesting premise of a guy who dies and then immediately jumps back into his life when he was in college.
- After the Golden Age was a great premise: the story of the daughter of two super heroes who has no powers of her own.
- Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is possibly the best new fantasy book I've read in years. Really great narrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Replay by Ken Grimwood was a really interesting premise of a guy who dies and then immediately jumps back into his life when he was in college.

This is both of our favorite novel, and was before we ever met each other . . .

I don't know about jojopi, but I'll be checking out the other titles on your list (The Rothfluss book is already cued up in my nook . . .)

As for the rest of the suggestions:

I hated Rankin, but jojopi may take a look.

I loved Mistborn, but she's not looking for "high fantasy" and if she was would start with Jim Butcher.

She's already a Vonnegut fan (I almost listed him initially), already read Heller.

Hiaasen and Chabon are both good shouts.

And there's a whole bunch of books that I'll need to take a look at once I start to thin out the 50+ titles already in my nook.

[Yes, she has a Kindle and I have a nook. Don't ask.]

Thanks, all. I'll try and get her to post her own thoughts on the above when she gets a moment . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.