Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a lark, I took a peek at the comments from those who rated RftG a 1 or a 2. For one fellow, who owned a lot of games, I tracked him to his profile and tried to get a feel for his preferences by looking at the ratings he had given to other games. He gave backgammon a 9. Now, I like backgammon and have played enough to appreciate the skill development necessary to wisely play the luck of the dice rolls. But a 9? In comparison to so many other games out there with more complex rule sets and therefore more, imo, more rewarding play, what does backgammon have to earn the 9? Pretty subjective. That's my perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait a minute... are you trying to say the ratings here might need to be taken with a grain of salt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I give Race for the Galaxy a ten, but I also give Cribbage a ten. I don't think complexity = more rewarding play. A great game is just a great game. You know it when you play one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kawlaw wrote:
On a lark, I took a peek at the comments from those who rated RftG a 1 or a 2. For one fellow, who owned a lot of games, I tracked him to his profile and tried to get a feel for his preferences by looking at the ratings he had given to other games. He gave backgammon a 9. Now, I like backgammon and have played enough to appreciate the skill development necessary to wisely play the luck of the dice rolls. But a 9? In comparison to so many other games out there with more complex rule sets and therefore more, imo, more rewarding play, what does backgammon have to earn the 9? Pretty subjective. That's my perspective.

FWIW, this ain't a RftG thing.... it's throughout BGG. A most recent comparison I did was here....
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/880738/a-choice-im-glad-...

There are always multiple dimensions to consider for each game. For Race, it's ranked pretty well overall on BGG on account of it being a euro, being 'elegant', and having good depth for such relative simplicity. If that works for you, then that's all you need to know. If that user's ratings irks you, then you'll have to discuss that with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went and tracked the ratings of the OP...and there weren't any.

From my perspective, that absolves you of the right to criticize others' ratings. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kawlaw wrote:
For one fellow, who owned a lot of games, I tracked him to his profile and tried to get a feel for his preferences by looking at the ratings he had given to other games. He gave backgammon a 9. Now, I like backgammon and have played enough to appreciate the skill development necessary to wisely play the luck of the dice rolls. But a 9?

You're saying he doesn't think it's an excellent game, that he always wants to play? How would you know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats even more astounding is someone tipped you 1 GG for that post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kawlaw wrote:
Now, I like backgammon and have played enough to appreciate the skill development necessary to wisely play the luck of the dice rolls. But a 9?

Yeah, what was he thinking!? It's clearly a 10! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
I have backgammon rated the same as RftG: an 8. Like them both for different reasons, obviously, but both are very satisfying to play.... and win. Have played more backgammon in my life than any other game. I don't think it's a conspiracy. And as the OP stated: "Pretty subjective"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the BGG ratings system is allmost as meaningless as the Hotness, which is utterly meaningless, you have to wonder why people even bother? Especially with the frequent drive by rating attacks that happen.

Then toss in the balancing factor that shifts via dummy votes everything towards a 5-6 and it gets even more useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Considering the BGG ratings system is allmost as meaningless as the Hotness, which is utterly meaningless, you have to wonder why people even bother? Especially with the frequent drive by rating attacks that happen.

Then toss in the balancing factor that shifts via dummy votes everything towards a 5-6 and it gets even more useless.
It's still not worthless though....

The Hotness lets you know what games are coming out, or have been recently out, all at a glance. Granted, some games have "paid" to be on there, but it does support BGG if you check them out I suppose. If nothing else, you don't have to automatically buy/play any of them, but it does serve as a crude newsreel fro what's new in boardgaming in terms of games

I've found the ratings to be consistent, but of course I won't agree with everything due to my biases and preferences. So long as you know how to adjust them towards what you'd look for in a game (the stats, playtimes, user comments, and reviews all help with that), then it definintely serves its purpose.

For example, after getting burnt out on Settlers Of Catan, I have no desire to ever play just the base game again. Ever. However, I can understand its current rating, as it's still fun for many others I've seen across my groups.

Race just rubs some people the wrong way, while inspires awe in others (hence the extremes in ratings). And everyone has games which are rated lower on BGG, but they'd personally rate higher than how other games are officially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the rating system has some merit if you pay attention to individual people's ratings who you trust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:

It's still not worthless though....

The Hotness lets you know what games are coming out, or have been recently out, all at a glance. Granted, some games have "paid" to be on there, but it does support BGG if you check them out I suppose. If nothing else, you don't have to automatically buy/play any of them, but it does serve as a crude newsreel fro what's new in boardgaming in terms of games

No. All the Hotness shows is what people happen to be glancing at a-lot lately. Which might be a new game, might be an image, might be yet another vile hoax campaign. blah-blah-blah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no need for this thread. This type of conversation is barely relevant in reviews and I don't see the point of starting a discussion here. Ratings are subjective, but if other people have opinions of games based on the same subjective criteria then their opinions may be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate this game a 2 (extremely annoying, won't play). My one 10 is Moongha Invaders. At this point I would rather eat the VP tokens than play the game.

However, it is my personal rating. It should not impact you if you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
I rate this game a 2 (extremely annoying, won't play). My one 10 is Moongha Invaders. At this point I would rather eat the VP tokens than play the game.

However, it is my personal rating. It should not impact you if you like the game.

There is no accounting for taste...or lack thereof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know I have heard some people don't like sushi?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Do you know I have heard some people don't like sushi?

Some sushi *is* disgusting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Brussel sprouts....reminds me too much of RFtG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

From my perspective, that absolves you of the right to criticize others' ratings. arrrh

Well taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
kawlaw wrote:

So your perspective is that if I don't like Race for the Galaxy there must be some kind of prejudicial bias to explain it and not that I just don't find it that entertaining?

To invoke Mystery Science Theater 3000....

"It's just a game, I should really just relax"

Well, for myself, I think I should have a reason for liking or disliking something. Although our 13 year old, who likes deviled eggs, won't touch egg salad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
kawlaw wrote:
For one fellow, who owned a lot of games, I tracked him to his profile and tried to get a feel for his preferences by looking at the ratings he had given to other games. He gave backgammon a 9. Now, I like backgammon and have played enough to appreciate the skill development necessary to wisely play the luck of the dice rolls. But a 9?

You're saying he doesn't think it's an excellent game, that he always wants to play? How would you know?

I really don't know diddly. But I do rely on the ratings, however subjective they may be, because in significant numbers (into the thousands) they show a rather broad trend among this site's audience, and I think it's reasonable to place some confidence in the data. That is what led me to RftG in the first place. And LotR. This site really is a fantastic site; I could spend days browsing all the information here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that ratings on here can be very biased, especially if the majority of people who DO submit ratings favor one type of game over another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Bear in mind that ratings on here can be very biased, especially if the majority of people who DO submit ratings favor one type of game over another.

Yeah. This works pretty well if you have similar biases though. :) Most of the high rated games, if they are a type that suits my tastes, turn out to be incredibly good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:

Absolves? I think you meant some different word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.