Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, so it's finally out--The War: Europe 1939-1945--and what a mini-monster it's turned out to be! Once again, we see that the game was inspired by the original Rise and Decline of the Third Reich but the designer has gone off in a much different direction than we saw in Advanced Third Reich/A World at War, John Prados' Third Reich, Struggle for Europe series, and E.T.O.: European Theatre of Operations/Advanced European Theater of Operations, perhaps the closest cousins. And Sal Vasta's Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe isn't even out yet!

I know what some folks are saying--you need to play War in Europe (second edition) instead of these games, or Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!, or EuroFront II, Europe Engulfed, and--when it comes out--Sturm Europa!. Okay, okay--I'll even toss in the Europe-only version of World in Flames. But these games I just listed seem so different from the first batch. They have completely different design philosophies. So I don't think I can really compare them. It's easy to see why people play these games.

But going back to the first series of games--the "cousins" of the old Avalon Hill Rise and Decline of the Third Reich--what is it about this latest offering that might make one want to spend the time and effort to get into it if one is already playing one (or more) of these other games? What is so different about it?

I can only discern a few things different from the blurb on the Compass Games website and on the BGG entry. It certainly looks very attractive, graphically.

What do people like about it better than the other "cousins" on this list? What do people think isn't as good compared to some of those other closely-related games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for The War can be found on Compass' website: http://compassgames.com/downloads/TW-Rules-Near-Final.pdf

I agree, the map & counters look GREAT. It's on my radar, definitely. I'm a sucker for WW2 strategic games I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.