Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: Parking Validation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG con coordinators really need to address the parking validation issues.

We were told parking would be validated. I only left on the last day of the con and was forced to pay $20 despite having my ticket validated a mere 5-10 minutes prior to arriving at the toll plaza.

This is unacceptable.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Call the hotel. They were putting the wrong stamps on the tickets. If you got a receipt, they will send it to the airport and the airport is supposed to reimburse you ... at least, that's what we were told
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
BGG con coordinators really need to address the parking validation issues.

We were told parking would be validated. I only left on the last day of the con and was forced to pay $20 despite having my ticket validated a mere 5-10 minutes prior to arriving at the toll plaza.

This is unacceptable.


I didn't have any problems with the validation any of the times I left the hotel. And I heard a rumor that the hotel would refund the charge if you did end up paying if you provide a receipt and as long as you were staying at the hotel - but I don't know that for sure.

-MMM
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michele is correct - the Hyatt will assist in correcting any validation issues. Let me know if that is not the case for you.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Hermance
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Problem came when you were within Airport grounds for more than 16 hours at a time. The Default stamp the hotel gave out was for only 16 hours worth of parking. Anything over that and some of the toll booth attendants were charging the difference.

For me it was only $2 so I did not pursue a refund. If you notified the hotel that you needed a longer validation, they would provide a different stamp for your ticket.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They must have been doing it correctly for me, as my car was in the garage for over 24 hours in some cases, and I came and went about a half dozen times throughout the week. Maybe there was just one receptionist flubbing it up?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
BGG con coordinators really need to address the parking validation issues.

We were told parking would be validated. I only left on the last day of the con and was forced to pay $20 despite having my ticket validated a mere 5-10 minutes prior to arriving at the toll plaza.

This is unacceptable.

That sucks!

It sounds like there was indeed a problem at the hotel. I validated my parking almost each day and didn't have a single problem, so someone must have been sipping Mrs. Cuthbert's award winning cordial behind the concierge desk for a few hours.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Collins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
BGG con coordinators really need to address the parking validation issues.

We were told parking would be validated. I only left on the last day of the con and was forced to pay $20 despite having my ticket validated a mere 5-10 minutes prior to arriving at the toll plaza.

This is unacceptable.


Contact the hotel. I left for dinner one night and I was charged $27 even though I'd only had my ticket validated 5 minutes prior. I complained to the hotel, and they said it was an issue with the airport itself. They had me fill out a form and said I'd be getting a refund check.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm posting this for informational purposes. Obviously this is no use to people who already experienced the issue. I found out about the following from a talkative concierge.

The hotel has a standard stamp that validates for 16 hours. They use it because it's easier and quicker than using the computer to print a very short sequence of characters (not more than 15) that contain information that appears to include room number and a code to identify the hotel.

For future BGG.cons: if you go to the concierge and you've been there longer than 16 hours and they pull out a self-inking handheld stamp, you should stop them from using the stamp. You should ask them to validate for a longer time and give the information (usually just the room number) that they ask for. They will have to print out a custom sequence on your ticket with a computer behind the concierge desk. This will take a couple of minutes.

I stayed for over 48 hours at one point. That would have dinged me for $40. I know that because the toll operator didn't see the validation printout until I pointed it out. He then apologized and waved me through.


I'm really sorry that this wasn't told to everyone like it was to us. I will try to remember to remind everyone next year. That will probably be unneeded as I expect it will get added to a con related email.
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stay more than 16 hours and don't have a hotel room, you might or might not be able to validate safely. The first time, I just had to give a room number. The second time they had me confirm the name on the room.

Given the nature of this con, I could easily see a local stay more than 16 hours at a time. If you get into this situation in a future year, first off, props to you for gaming more than 16 hours straight. Second, find a friend with a room and they can give you a number and name so you can get validated.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All the hotel was doing was giving you a form that they would send
to the airport. Everything depends on the Airport refunding the money.
I expect it will be weeks before I find out if I get a refund.

After the first time I made sure to remind the hotel that they
should validate for the whole time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My ticket had a validation number printed on it, but it did not cover the full length of the con (and I stayed at the hotel). Essentially, they validated for four of the five days I was there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to pay $2 at one point. One of the issues is that the booth operator rarely gave back a receipt. You had to specifically ask for one. Also, the last time I went through the hotel validated for the right amount of time (because I made sure they did) but they printed the code over the top of another code which made it impossible to read. I had to wait around until a manager came by to allow me to go through without paying. Now I know what to expect next year but this information should be included in "Information to Know" when registering next year.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
If you stay more than 16 hours and don't have a hotel room, you might or might not be able to validate safely. The first time, I just had to give a room number. The second time they had me confirm the name on the room.


Yes, when I told the clerk my car was here longer than 16 hours, I was told rather rudely that because I didn't have a room, the stamp "would be fine."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gordon
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I was there more than 16 hours without leaving, the gentleman at the desk noticed my ticket was too old for the stamp and used the computer to add the 5 character printout to the ticket. The parking attendant still tried to charge me $20 and I just said 'I just had that validated at the Hyatt.' He took it back out of the reader, typed in the code, and sent me on my way, free of charge.

All the other days I was leaving in the middle of the day for food and/or beer, so I never went over 16 hours.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Michele is correct - the Hyatt will assist in correcting any validation issues. Let me know if that is not the case for you.


As I've mentioned elsewhere, the hotel's idea of "correcting validation issues" is to make you fill out a form and wait six weeks for the refund, because someone else made a mistake.

Parking validation was, for my group, a sour note on an otherwise sweet week.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turgid wrote:
The only time I was there more than 16 hours without leaving, the gentleman at the desk noticed my ticket was too old for the stamp and used the computer to add the 5 character printout to the ticket. The parking attendant still tried to charge me $20 and I just said 'I just had that validated at the Hyatt.' He took it back out of the reader, typed in the code, and sent me on my way, free of charge.

All the other days I was leaving in the middle of the day for food and/or beer, so I never went over 16 hours.


Same thing happened to us. We went to the concierge desk and the guy noticed we were there for more than 16 hours. He made us verify our name, room number, etc and then he proceeded to print the wronng number on our ticket. The only difference is that the toll booth operator made us pay anyway, so we took the receipt back to the hotel and did the whole reimbursement thing soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Konata wrote:
Digren wrote:
If you stay more than 16 hours and don't have a hotel room, you might or might not be able to validate safely. The first time, I just had to give a room number. The second time they had me confirm the name on the room.


Yes, when I told the clerk my car was here longer than 16 hours, I was told rather rudely that because I didn't have a room, the stamp "would be fine."


Ostentatiously writing down the name of hotel staffer you are dealing with has been known to improve service.

I've already filled out my Hyatt guest satisfaction survey, but other people who had hotel rooms in their names should mention all the stories they heard about problems with car validations.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Konata wrote:
Digren wrote:
If you stay more than 16 hours and don't have a hotel room, you might or might not be able to validate safely. The first time, I just had to give a room number. The second time they had me confirm the name on the room.


Yes, when I told the clerk my car was here longer than 16 hours, I was told rather rudely that because I didn't have a room, the stamp "would be fine."


Ostentatiously writing down the name of hotel staffer you are dealing with has been known to improve service.

I've already filled out my Hyatt guest satisfaction survey, but other people who had hotel rooms in their names should mention all the stories they heard about problems with car validations.


Done. And anyone who's willing to drive the two of us to Hard Eight for dinner one night next year can use our name and room number freely for parking-validation purposes. Geek mail me in early November!!
meeple
JAZ
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Room number is not required for plus-16-hour validation (at least for our group). Showing your convention wristband should fulfill that requirement. The hotel and airport make an assumption (and one could argue its a natural one) that anyone staying more than 16 hours is a guest of the hotel, and the processes are built around that assumption. But I made it very clear in all of our negotiations and arrangements that all of our attendees would have free parking validation, no matter the circumstances.

It was not as clear to me initially that there would be two different processes for validation, for less than or more than 16 hours - the hotel was just supposed to take care of it. Once I found out there was a distinction (Wed. evening when my brother took my truck out) I emphasized daily to my hotel contact the need for the concierge staff to do a better job of validating correctly.

In all likelihood the process will be completely different next year since the airport is building new toll booths. We don't know what that answer will be yet, but I am assured there will be one.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to address your point here, I showed them my con wristband and they insisted I have a hotel room for validation for the whole week. So someone up the foodchain might need to have a discussion...

(Lucky thing that I stayed at the hotel, I can't imagine how much worse I would have felt had I not)

CaptainQwyx wrote:
Room number is not required for plus-16-hour validation (at least for our group). Showing your convention wristband should fulfill that requirement. The hotel and airport make an assumption (and one could argue its a natural one) that anyone staying more than 16 hours is a guest of the hotel, and the processes are built around that assumption. But I made it very clear in all of our negotiations and arrangements that all of our attendees would have free parking validation, no matter the circumstances.

It was not as clear to me initially that there would be two different processes for validation, for less than or more than 16 hours - the hotel was just supposed to take care of it. Once I found out there was a distinction (Wed. evening when my brother took my truck out) I emphasized daily to my hotel contact the need for the concierge staff to do a better job of validating correctly.

In all likelihood the process will be completely different next year since the airport is building new toll booths. We don't know what that answer will be yet, but I am assured there will be one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
Just to address your point here, I showed them my con wristband and they insisted I have a hotel room for validation for the whole week. So someone up the foodchain might need to have a discussion...

Thanks for the follow-up. I certainly will pass this along.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Room number is not required for plus-16-hour validation (at least for our group). Showing your convention wristband should fulfill that requirement. The hotel and airport make an assumption (and one could argue its a natural one) that anyone staying more than 16 hours is a guest of the hotel, and the processes are built around that assumption. But I made it very clear in all of our negotiations and arrangements that all of our attendees would have free parking validation, no matter the circumstances.


We stayed at the OTHER Hyatt (mostly because we got hotels later and didn't realize that we were booking a room at a different hotel).

The Hyatt Regency people refused to validate our tickets because we were not staying there and had stayed within the airport longer than permitted (she didn't say what the magic number was). The Con badge and wristband did not move this employee a bit.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Pasquale
United States
Paradise Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I likewise had my parking ticket validated at the concierge desk when going out for dinner one evening, but when I arrived at the toll booth they said I owed $20. I told the toll booth person that the hotel validation is supposed to give free parking, even if more than one day. The toll both person then very reluctantly took the time to prepare a bill for $20, instructing me to submit it to hotel. After I returned from dinner I gave the bill to the front desk. The employee apologized and said the hotel would take care of the bill.

Today, I got a surprise from the mailman. A notice from DFW parking saying that I didn't pay my $20 bill within nine days, so I now owe them the $20 + an $8 processing fee + a $25 service charge. A total of $53 !!! It further threatened to take stronger collection actions that would cost me even more.

I called the DFW parking number on the bill, but got a recording that they're only open M-F. So I called the Hyatt Regency. The front desk manager, Damaris, looked in her records and said the hotel initiated the payment process on the $20 bill I received more than a week ago. However, she said the steps of the payment actually going out (from a central Hyatt office?) and then getting processed by DFW parking take 6-8 weeks. She said I don't need to worry UNLESS I get another bill from DFW Hyatt. Just great!!

As the others on this forum string have mentioned, for next year, the hotel staff needs to be reminded to get the validations straight in the first place.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Dearborn
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When Bixby and I left on Monday (first time driving his vehicle out of the airport in over a week) they tried to charge us $120.

We simply said no.

Maybe it was our Saskatchewan liscence plate, or maybe it was the giant stack of games and beer in the SUV but the guy in the toll booth just took the ticket back and did something for a minute and waived us through.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.