Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And holy damn this game look pure awesome. It's been a long time since I read a rulebook and got that excited...last time I can remember was when I bought Warhammer Quest.

Before starting reading I read a lot of posts here and was a bit afraid that it would be a lot more difficult than what I played (Arkham Horror, Runewars, etc). But reading through this extremely well-made Game Walkthough I actually had fun.

All aspects of this game look well thought out and tested: Deed deck and cards that play multiple rolls while using the same look, deck building with multiple types of cards and Wounds that gets added in the mix (The Wound cards are such a great idea), exploration, rewards, leveling, combat...

Tomorrow evening will be my first game with my bro. I'll be using the Game Walkthrough to get us through our first game as smoothly as possible. Just can't wait to actually play Mage Knight and see how great it is.

Any tips or advices for my first game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

Yeah,

Start your game at 9AM and order out Chinese. You will be working this for a while! Definitely worth it, though.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

Yeah,

Start your game at 9AM and order out Chinese. You will be working this for a while! Definitely worth it, though.

-Ski

That's my greatest fear about this game...though I really don't mind 3+ hours games, they're even my favorite since they offer awesome gameplay and fun...but it's for my bro which doesn't like extremely complex games...though he likes Arkham...well maybe he'll like this too heheh, I hope so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Read the rulebook two times, three times, or even FOUR TIMES before playing with your brother for your first game. The biggest slow-down for first time players is looking up rules. You don't want the game to drag, or for your brother to feel like you are making it up as you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As excited as you are, be prepared to be frustrated a bit until you get everything down. I was also so excited to play it the first time, after everything I read. The first experience isn't like the "best ever" time, but is part of the process of learning the game. The complexity makes this game shine, but also requires a bit of investment up front.

It is hands down my favorite solo game still

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Play through a quick solo game first. Really, even the first time with 2 players there is no need for this game to go longer than 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Take your time. Go at your own pace. Make sure you understand each tile before moving on. Practice the rules on the newly revealed tile and then move on. Remember the first game is about learning the game, so don't worry too much about finishing. The walkthrough is good that you learn the basics, then learn one tile at a time, so don't worry about backtracking or hanging about, just move on to explore the next tile once you have the current tile down. And don't worry about taking wounds. My first game I tried to avoid taking wounds and this meant I was missing stuff because I wasn't taking any risks. You can't die in this game so take some wounds. If you need to houserule a magic heal which removes all your wounds on your first learning game, then do so. It's your game so you play it how you wish. The idea is to explore the game and learn how it works. Lastly have fun, don't hold up your enjoyment by worrying too much about the rules police, otherwise you won't enjoy it. You will probably miss a few things , but you'll pick them up on your next plays. And if you get stuck, post a question here and it usually gets answered pretty quickly !

And like Mr Mjeh says, play solo. Set up and try things solo too, as this is a great game solo - when you need to get some rules down, try them out !

Have a great first game ! Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is to look at the video series posted by
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
: very helpful videos that makes you understand a lot of the gameplay and the possible mistakes one can make.

The game itself is not hard, the mechanics are really sound and they all make a lot of sense. The real problem is that there is a lot book-keeping to do, especially during the end of the round; plus all the little rules (like the fact that you add an advanced action card in the unit offer when a monastery is revealed... or night rules, and that in certain locations units won't help you, and all these things... ).

but, after a few plays, it all comes very natural.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim is right, I can't tell you how helpful watching Ricky's play throughs is in getting this game down cold! Have fun, this is an awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikim wrote:
My suggestion is to look at the video series posted by
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
: very helpful videos that makes you understand a lot of the gameplay and the possible mistakes one can make.

thumbsup

Take an hour and go through these:

It will save you plenty of reading later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I watched through the videos online before playing my first game (solo walkthrough), and only had to look at the manual 2 times during the game, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before starting reading the Game Walkthrough I thought this game would be a cluster hell of rules and exceptions...but it was not. IMO it's one of the best rulebook I read in a long time. Really well explained and divided, it's clear as clear can be and searching through it is a breeze.

I'm really not afraid for my first 2-player game, in fact i'm too excited to be afraid of anything right now lol.

It can't be as sad as our first games of Arkham Horror...damn that was not fun at all. But some more games later it became one of our favorite 4+ player game.

The hard part I can think of is remembering all the icons on the monsters and places you can visit and knowing what they do. Apart from that, the rules are pretty clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Before starting reading the Game Walkthrough I thought this game would be a cluster hell of rules and exceptions...but it was not. IMO it's one of the best rulebook I read in a long time. Really well explained and divided, it's clear as clear can be and searching through it is a breeze.

Just one of the many reasons why Vlaada is da man. The Space Alert Handbook is still the funniest manual I ever read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

I'm with you on this. I make more mistakes with what at first glance seem to be less complex games. I think there is less to remember with MK because it is all set up and laid out pretty clearly, especially with things like the site description cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just came back from my first game of Mage Knight.

Quick info:

- 2 players
- Introductory Scenario
- Only I read the Game Walkthrough before playing and did the explanations
- Game started at 8pm (after rule teaching) and ended at 11pm
- Verdict: FRICKING AWESOME!

So here it is, I came back alive from a first Mage Knight game. Setup is easy and pretty straightforward, Game Walkthrough book is really well written and everything was easy to find during our game and most of the stuff you can do is written on cards or explaned with icons, and once you know them everything is a breeze.

The few things we had to check once or twice:

- Difference between Mana token and Crystal: we got that wrong for our first few turns
- I badly/quickly explained the Spell Normal/Ultimate mechanicbut I managed to clear that up fast

Few questions:

- When something (Card, skill, etc) tells you to add a Crystal to your inventory, can you add a Black crystal even if it's a Day round?
- The Agility Advanced Action enables you to use any extra Movement points you didn't used and convert them to Attack points...Can you spend Move Action cards and not move at all to gain the full Attack point bonus?
- When you want to pillage a Monastery, you pick a Purple monster token and have to fight it. It you can't beat it do you discard the token and leave the Monastery intact (I know that you still lose Reputation)? So on your next turn you can try again and pick a new purple monster token?

This game have everything: exploration, roaming monsters, villages to recruit, rest and plunder, dungeons to explore and see what they hide, ruins, keeps to conquer, Mage towers with powerful spells and units, objectives and scenarios, day and night cycle that alter the gameplay, "asymetrical" Heroes with unique skills, powerful artifacts, LEVELS!!!!

The hand management mechanic is so well thought out. Love how your wounds, if not taken care of, will eventually come back to you...like an old knee or elbow injury that you didn't treated.

It's been easier than I thought and better too. Firts game in 3 hours is really good for this kind of complex and deep game. It feels so rewarding when you manage to pull off some great exploration and conquering, feels great seeing your Hero grow stronger and stronger and FEEL stronger!

Next game's gonna be a full game, probably with a coop scenario.

Thanks for the tips all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

I'm really not afraid for my first 2-player game, in fact i'm too excited to be afraid of anything right now lol.

It can't be as sad as our first games of Arkham Horror...damn that was not fun at all. But some more games later it became one of our favorite 4+ player game.

The hard part I can think of is remembering all the icons on the monsters and places you can visit and knowing what they do. Apart from that, the rules are pretty clear to me.

While I agree that the game isn't as hard to grasp as a lot of people make it sound, the rule books are not that greatly organized imo. Some points are only explained in the walkthrough and not in the "real" rulebook and vice versa (or at least that was the case in the 1st edition, might be different now). Also the occasional rule was placed under a topic where one would not necessarily expect it. While by no means awful, it still is/was far from a great one, I actually liked AH's better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

Few questions:

- When something (Card, skill, etc) tells you to add a Crystal to your inventory, can you add a Black crystal even if it's a Day round?

You can never have black or gold crystals - only tokens.

Quote:
- The Agility Advanced Action enables you to use any extra Movement points you didn't used and convert them to Attack points...Can you spend Move Action cards and not move at all to gain the full Attack point bonus?

Yes, though remember for most monsters (except orcs and draconum) you need to move into the monster's space in order to attack it.

Quote:
- When you want to pillage a Monastery, you pick a Purple monster token and have to fight it. It you can't beat it do you discard the token and leave the Monastery intact (I know that you still lose Reputation)? So on your next turn you can try again and pick a new purple monster token?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks Chris!
About the Gold/Black Tokens, can you gain a Black token during day?
My guess is yes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Ok thanks Chris!
My guess is yes...

If you're in a dungeon/tomb you can gain/use black tokens. Outside of dungeons and tombs they are worthless during the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Ok thanks Chris!
My guess is yes...

Generally no, though as the above poster states, you can gain them in dungeons/tombs (it explicitly says this on the relevant reference cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, but you still can gain a black token during day right?
And with the Action Crystallize you could transfer the black mana token to your inventory?

Like with Korvak (spelling lol? can't remember his name, the Black Knight) unique skill where you choose a mana token of a color and put one on the skill token and another in your inventory...you can do that during day?

Another question: Whats the point of the Common Skill Pool? Each Mage Knight as it's own unique set of skills...how does it work when you choose another player skill? Do you refer to the description on the other player skill card? How can you use a skill not your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
And with the Action Crystallize you could transfer the black mana token to your inventory?

You can never, under any circumstances, crystalize gold or black mana. They can never, under any circumstances, be in your inventory.

And "mana token" in the game always refers to it being in your play area, not in your inventory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:

Another question: Whats the point of the Common Skill Pool? Each Mage Knight as it's own unique set of skills...how does it work when you choose another player skill? Do you refer to the description on the other player skill card? How can you use a skill not your own?

Yes, you'd refer to the other player's card to learn what it is. You take the skill into your own playing area and use it exactly as if it were your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

You can never, under any circumstances, crystalize gold or black mana. They can never, under any circumstances, be in your inventory.

And "mana token" in the game always refers to it being in your play area, not in your inventory.

Oh damn me...that's in the rules?
I'll have to check that again, thanks for the heads up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Felkor wrote:
Rhezuss wrote:

Oh damn me...that's in the rules?
I'll have to check that again, thanks for the heads up!

Yep. Its on page 2, under 'using mana'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.