United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished the Revised 1st Edition Rules. Please download and use them! Here is a link to download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epa2owvnlaprfqf/empiresofthevoid_r...

These are revised and rewritten rules for the base game. They include some of the changes that were implemented in the Key to the Universe expansion, but are meant to be used to play the base game. They do incorporate the original "Capital Cities" addition (included in the file).

I hope to release a file with new alien races for the base game soon.

I also plan to release a finalized version of the Key to the Universe expansion. It will include new alien races meant to be played with the expansion materials. It will also include a new rulebook that is to be used together with the "Revised 1st Edition Rules".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I can't wait to look at these.

Out of curiosity, and I know the same cards were removed in the previous Key to the Universe rules, but what was the reasoning behind removing the "Rebellion at xyz" and "Tan Lock Radical Sect Captures Ambassador" cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing this!
This KS backer appreciates your dedication to your baby meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely!

Any chance of getting a professionally printed expansion (including the P&P-expansion) for the game at some point?

/happy KS-backer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

I'd also like to put in my vote for a printed version of Key to the Universe with the revised manual. Would be nice to use it as an upgrade kit for the base game and with the new material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitelly buy an upgrade kit (manuals, components, expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.

Just got my game in the mail.

Based on discussion here, and reads of all 3 rulebooks, I think this one is the one I'll try first, with maybe a couple house rules.

Looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good to me! I haven't been able to get EotV to the table since KttU was released, but I think this is the ruleset I want to try the next time I get to play it.

One small issue: on page 18, the image clearly shows which corners the 2-player homeworlds go on, but then the text says "Neither may be adjacent to the Pyrious hexagon." That made me think that the players could choose the corners, so I re-read it, and then I thought maybe the first player got to choose one of the two indicated corners and the second got to choose a corner. Then I re-read it again and realized that the last sentence was just spurious text. I think I got it right in the end, but I was confused for a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
i just bought this game.. are you saying that I should use this? I didn't even know there was an expansion or anything... and are we talkign about printing out custom stuff?

I have been trying to get a copy of this for so long.. and finally found a ebay selling it... (the geek sells would not send to Australia) Kinda of annoyed that a new version is out.. though it is cool that it is being actively developed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
booored wrote:
i just bought this game.. are you saying that I should use this? I didn't even know there was an expansion or anything... and are we talkign about printing out custom stuff?

I have been trying to get a copy of this for so long.. and finally found a ebay selling it... (the geek sells would not send to Australia) Kinda of annoyed that a new version is out.. though it is cool that it is being actively developed.

It's just an updated manual so the only thing you really need to make are the few cards on the last page. I'd ignore "Key to the Universe expansion" for now and just use this new manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Stein
Germany
76133 Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... any experiences in playing with these updated rules you would like to share?!

I'm about to buy the game but all the negative comments on the rules still leave me in doubt whether it's worth playing it (sorry for saying so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Scanlan
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moeper wrote:
Well... any experiences in playing with these updated rules you would like to share?!

I'm about to buy the game but all the negative comments on the rules still leave me in doubt whether it's worth playing it (sorry for saying so).

In my opinion, you would be mad not to give this game a try if you have been interested this far. It's great fun!

Any complaints about the original rule book have been more than completely addressed by Ryan's 1st edition revised rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moeper wrote:

Yes, we played with the updated rules, and liked it.

I have to admit, though, that we've only yet played once - we keep trying to get in a second game, but it's only some of my game group that likes this theme, so we have to have just the right people together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Fuchet
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi

I didn't play yet but read both rulebooks. Now there are 8 rounds instead the original 12 but now you habe 4 actions, no 3.
Should i print the capital city cards or is this perfectly playable with the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MrFuch wrote:
Should i print the capital city cards or is this perfectly playable with the base game?

You don't need the capital cards to enjoy the game, but they do give a little extra twist that I've found enjoyable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
mechanicalfish wrote:

I also plan to release a finalized version of the Key to the Universe expansion. It will include new alien races meant to be played with the expansion materials. It will also include a new rulebook that is to be used together with the "Revised 1st Edition Rules".

Any news on that?
Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*** push ***

any news? or is the game dead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
*** push ***

any news? or is the game dead?

I believe the files available for download here: http://www.redravengames.com/empires-of-the-void-key-to-the-... are the finalized expansion. I didn't take Ryan's comments to indicate that he was planning to publish a non-PnP version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.