Mage Wars Arena» Forums » General

Subject: Worth it for two people sharing 1 box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of picking up Mage Wars but if I do it'll be for me and another person. We only have plans on buying 1 box and no expansions. Is there enough content in the starter box for 2 people to enjoy playing the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DEFINATELY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. The revised starting decks posted on Arcane Wonders website are perfect to give you both some variety in the matchups. Since there's only two of you and you don't seem expansion-obsessive (yet...mwahahah) a single core set is ideal since the second setup of components would be wasted if you had two sets.

Personally I'd recommend picking up the extra spell tome since you can find it for $15 or less. There are some very good spells duplicated therein that will make your deck designs even better and more focused. But you will get a ton of mileage just from the core--heck, just from the various matchups using only the revised starter decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rock lobster
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

it will work until you each want to build a Wizard deck and do mirror matches or [Wizard.Fire vs. Wizard.Air] matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:

Personally I'd recommend picking up the extra spell tome since you can find it for $15 or less. There are some very good spells duplicated therein that will make your deck designs even better and more focused. But you will get a ton of mileage just from the core--heck, just from the various matchups using only the revised starter decks.

I disagree with this. If you're interested enough to warrant getting the spell tome, you may as well get a 2nd core set. It gives you more access to more spells, gives you 2 more spellbooks, and doubles your chits (The mana ones can run out early.

Again, this is only if you've discovered you're very interested in the game, and you need to flesh things out. For example, I wanted a Wizard that focuses on fire, and you can't do that with just one core because the Warlock uses fire primarily. If you've found your interest is only somewhat engaged, then your plan with two people sharing a box is perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris. The 1 box is good for a start, but you will quickly want more cards and if that is the case, then the 2nd box is the only way to go.

2 binders, WAY more cards, especially of ones that matter greatly, and way more chits.

I spray painted my 3rd and 4th set of action markers green for the Beastmaster and White for the Priestess. I was thinking I might modify the white to Gold though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the core spell tome worth the $15? How much flexibility does it actually add to the set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of worth it. It allows for a nice array of builds but there will be cards you want more of. I would buy the second set for 35 or whatever you can find it for. If you love the game, that is the better value. The books, the chits, and way more card duplicates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wondering about this as well. The time my friend and I have to play games is fairly limited and I would think it would make things a whole lot easier if we each had our own original set to start with. We could design two different decks in our spare time at home and then get together and actually spend the time playing, rather than trying to build decks and figure out who gets what cards.

I appreciate the feedback from the experienced players. It sounds like it is possible for two people to use one box but would be better if each had their own?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.