9 Posts

DungeonQuest (third edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Survive a night in Dragonfire Dungeon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I devised a simple system which allows continued play even after the sun has set in Dragonfire Dungeon. I've only tried this in solo play, but don't see why it wouldn't work well enough for multiplayer too.

Normally play ends after the sun has set, and anyone still in the dungeon gets locked in and toasted. To be honest, this happens to me all the time because I always draw the 'torch goes out' cards, and waste turn upon turn trying to get my luck roll to get it relit.
Anyway, the idea is that once the sun has set the dungeon exits lock and you cannot escape. But, the game does not end. Instead the suntrack is reset and turns go on as normal, except now the dragon Kalladra is stalking through the passages looking for you.

At the start of every turn after the sun has set, players draw a Dragon card. If it reads 'sleeping', then you have managed to hide from Kalladra and you may continue exploring. You ignore the text on the card unless you are actually in the treasure chamber.
If the card reads 'dragonfire', then you've been found and it's game over for your character.
If the active player wishes to do so, the dragon cards may be reshuffled at the end of their turn if they have entered or emerged from the catacombs, or moved through a door, secret door or portcullis on their turn.
However, the dragon cards are ALWAYS reshuffled if a player draws a dragonfire card and is killed. Also, the normal card drawing rules take precedence over the night rules if players are attempting to loot the treasure chamber, with the one exception that if Kalladra dragonfires you while you are attempting to loot the treasure chamber at night you die instantly.
The dice roll spaces at the end of the suntrack occur as normal but represent the increasing likelihood of the Kalladra going back to sleep as dawn breaks. Of course, you cannot escape the dungeon during the night, but if you manage to survive till dawn, the suntrack is reset again, the exits unlock, and you may escape.
All other game rules remain the same
It is obviously very hard to survive the night, but that's kind of the point. It is meant to add a new level of challenge to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingGoblin wrote:
It is meant to add a new level of challenge to the game.

You mean a lesser level of challenge. Giving you a chance, as small as it may be, is better than giving you no chance at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I suppose you could look at it in a number of different ways.
I was thinking if you were a real glutton for punishment, you could start the game in 'night mode', as if your character/s had been thrown into Dragonfire Dungeon at dusk, just before the exits lock, as a punishment for a gambling debt or something.
I kind of like the idea of not being able to get out till dawn!
That said, I've played three solo games with these night rules, and never once survived even half way through the renewed suntrack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to see what gruesome fate awaits after the doors close... yes, I could see trying this. Playing through to the next morning does offer a sliver of hope. And you have to have the real time you probably hadn't budgeted for to play it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, I hope you enjoy it. My logic was that it would be harder for the dragon to follow a hero if they were moving in and out of catacombs, doors and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an interesting variant which keeps the mechanics simple while adding a lot.

I see how it works for solo play but for multiplayer I am a bit confused. Say you have 2 players and sun has just gone down, player 1 draws a sleeping card and keeps it. Then player 2 takes a card, with a greater chance of getting dragonfire, but they draw sleeping and keep it. Player 1 gets the smaller deck back draws sleeping and goes through a door. Is the thought that Player 1 has to gamble between reshuffling the deck or not, thus gambling if Player 2 if he should give them both better odds or hoping that player 2 draws the dragonfire next turn?

One thought is when a player draws a sleeping card they keep a determination token (or some type of marker) and return the sleeping card to the Dragon deck. The next player then removes the number of sleeping cards that matches their determination token, so once you get to 7 you are out of luck, then randomly pick from the rest of the deck. And so on. This way each hero has separate odds how close they are to being roasted on an open dragonfire and you still could have certain events allow you to reduce or eliminate your pile of determination tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Say you have 2 players and sun has just gone down, player 1 draws a sleeping card and keeps it. Then player 2 takes a card, with a greater chance of getting dragonfire, but they draw sleeping and keep it. Player 1 gets the smaller deck back draws sleeping and goes through a door. Is the thought that Player 1 has to gamble between reshuffling the deck or not, thus gambling if Player 2 if he should give them both better odds or hoping that player 2 draws the dragonfire next turn?

Yes, both those thoughts are correct in a way, I kind of thought it would be interesting in giving the player who moves through a door/emerges etc the choice of shuffling in a multiplayer game just to introduce a semblance of strategy/baiting/backstabbing or some such thing in their attempt to alter the odds of another player drawing dragonfire.
But, I do like your suggestion! I will test it out when I get a chance.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also recently thought of another idea whereby players could avoid drawing a dragon card or choose to reshuffle the whole dragon deck at the start of their turn by dropping a loot card.
I think it would work best if this could be done only once in a game by each player, since sometimes huge amounts of loot are accumulated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.